2009-01-28 11:38:30

by Pavel Machek

Subject: 2.6.29-rc1 on zaurus (spitz)

Hi!

2.6.29-rc1 was great step forward over previous kernels: it not only
displays something on screen but also mounts root
filesystem. Unfortunately it then panics with "attempted to kill
init".

I tried both with CONFIG_EABI=N and CONFIG_EABI=Y, OABI_COMPAT=Y. Any
more tricks I should try?
Pavel

by Russell King

Subject: Re: 2.6.29-rc1 on zaurus (spitz)

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:38:09PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 2.6.29-rc1 was great step forward over previous kernels: it not only
> displays something on screen but also mounts root
> filesystem. Unfortunately it then panics with "attempted to kill
> init".
>
> I tried both with CONFIG_EABI=N and CONFIG_EABI=Y, OABI_COMPAT=Y. Any
> more tricks I should try?

Don't enable EABI unless you have changed userspace to be EABI compliant.
Also check that you have NWFPE enabled if you're not using a soft-float
userspace.

You could also build the kernel with DEBUG_USER enabled and pass
user_debug=-1 on the kernel's command line, and see if you get any more
information.

--
Russell King
maintainer of:

2009-03-17 13:18:18

by Pavel Machek

> > About hda timeouts... I remember seeing them under older kernels, too,
> > under loads such as kernel compile... plus keypresses tend to get lost
> > under high loads :-(.
>
> Really, what we need is for someone to step up to take on sorting out
> Zaurus. Looking at this thread, it seems there's very few people here
> willing. Also, I think Richard Purdie has moved on from Zaurus stuff.
>
> I know there are a small number of people on linux-arm-kernel who have
> access to some Zaurus platforms, but I don't know what they are. Really,
> you should be posting to that list if you seriously want help, because
> I doubt they're subscribed to LKML.

linux-arm-kernel seems subscriber-only :-(.

Anyway, new problem blocking testing is that somewhere between
2.6.29-rc3 and -rc7, pcmcia support stopped working => hda is no
longer detected.
Pavel

by Russell King

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 05:24:39PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > About hda timeouts... I remember seeing them under older kernels, too,
> > > under loads such as kernel compile... plus keypresses tend to get lost
> > > under high loads :-(.
> >
> > Really, what we need is for someone to step up to take on sorting out
> > Zaurus. Looking at this thread, it seems there's very few people here
> > willing. Also, I think Richard Purdie has moved on from Zaurus stuff.
> >
> > I know there are a small number of people on linux-arm-kernel who have
> > access to some Zaurus platforms, but I don't know what they are. Really,
> > you should be posting to that list if you seriously want help, because
> > I doubt they're subscribed to LKML.
>
> linux-arm-kernel seems subscriber-only :-(.

Yes.

> Anyway, new problem blocking testing is that somewhere between
> 2.6.29-rc3 and -rc7, pcmcia support stopped working => hda is no
> longer detected.

lalala, I'm not listening.

Really, if you want help, I've pointed you at the place where you can
get that. I'm not able to give you any other help with your Zaurus
problems.

--
Russell King
maintainer of:

2009-03-17 19:23:20

by Russell King

And, btw, please drop Pavel Urban's email address from future replies,
it seems his address is not valid.

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host m-in.ct.cz [194.228.96.22]: 553 5.3.0 <[email protected]>... Not in DB

--
Russell King
maintainer of:

2009-03-29 11:11:40

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > > Really, what we need is for someone to step up to take on sorting out
> > > Zaurus. Looking at this thread, it seems there's very few people here
> > > willing. Also, I think Richard Purdie has moved on from Zaurus stuff.
> > >
> > > I know there are a small number of people on linux-arm-kernel who have
> > > access to some Zaurus platforms, but I don't know what they are. Really,
> > > you should be posting to that list if you seriously want help, because
> > > I doubt they're subscribed to LKML.
> >
> > linux-arm-kernel seems subscriber-only :-(.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Anyway, new problem blocking testing is that somewhere between
> > 2.6.29-rc3 and -rc7, pcmcia support stopped working => hda is no
> > longer detected.
>
> lalala, I'm not listening.

lalala... I think I tried to subscribe to linux-arm-kernel, but all I
got is automated reply and no flood of messages. Is subscription
moderated, too?

Pavel