2009-01-30 19:47:22

by Alex Buell

Subject: Fw: 2.6.27 & ext4 strangeness

Hi,

As this has happened three times in the last 24 hours, I thought I'd
rebooting, and fsck.ext4 reports a clean filesystem, often I get a 'no
space on device' error even though I have plenty of disk space left.
Another reboot with a forced fsck.ext4 cures this, every time. This only
happens with ext4 filesystems used as the root filesystem.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Fearsome grindings.

2009-01-31 04:01:24

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Re: Fw: 2.6.27 & ext4 strangeness

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 07:47:02PM +0000, Alex Buell wrote:

> As this has happened three times in the last 24 hours, I thought I'd
> rebooting, and fsck.ext4 reports a clean filesystem, often I get a 'no
> space on device' error even though I have plenty of disk space left.
> Another reboot with a forced fsck.ext4 cures this, every time. This only
> happens with ext4 filesystems used as the root filesystem.

If you can reproduce this, can you send me the output of "df /; df -i
/; dumpe2fs /dev/XXX" (where XXX is your root device) before you
reboot and force an fsck? And then can you send me the output of "df
/ ; df -i /; dumpe2fs /dev/XXX" after the 2nd reboot and forced fsck.
I've never seen anything like this, so I don't know what to make of it.

It also would be interesting to see if you can reproduce it running a
kernel from the ext4-stable branch of the ext4 tree:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git

This has all of the ext4 fixes that is in the latest mainline, based
on the 2.6.28 kernel.

Thanks for reporting your observations,

- Ted

2009-01-31 10:14:12

by Alex Buell

Subject: Re: 2.6.27 & ext4 strangeness

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:09:17 -0500, I waved a wand and this message
magically appears in front of Theodore Tso:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 07:47:02PM +0000, Alex Buell wrote:
> >
> > As this has happened three times in the last 24 hours, I thought I'd
> > After rebooting, and fsck.ext4 reports a clean filesystem, often I
> > get a 'no space on device' error even though I have plenty of disk
> > space left. Another reboot with a forced fsck.ext4 cures this,
> > every time. This only happens with ext4 filesystems used as the
> > root filesystem.
>
> If you can reproduce this, can you send me the output of "df /; df -i
> /; dumpe2fs /dev/XXX" (where XXX is your root device) before you
> reboot and force an fsck? And then can you send me the output of "df
> / ; df -i /; dumpe2fs /dev/XXX" after the 2nd reboot and forced fsck.
> I've never seen anything like this, so I don't know what to make of
> it.

It's happened again this morning before your e-mail arrived. I'm now
sure I can reproduce it every time the laptop locks up. The next
time it happens I'll do as you request.

Regards
Alex
--