2009-03-10 05:26:46

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Efforts on automatic configuration of a kernel - for lazy people

I'm learning if there are any projects which have taken on the task of
automatically generating a kernel .config for you. I tend to hop
around machines and the routine of checking lspci, etc tends to drag
on and become more of a chore. Sometimes I just get lazy and use a
distribution's .config but that obviously is a waste of time. So I
have done some quick digging and found some effort circa 2005 by Ahmad
[1] and then Takashi's bash script [2]. Curious if there any others.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/153290/
[2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/16/290

Luis

2009-03-11 07:38:50

by Sitsofe Wheeler

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:26:33PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> I'm learning if there are any projects which have taken on the task of
> automatically generating a kernel .config for you. I tend to hop
>
> [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/153290/
> [2] http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/16/290

This question keeps seems to be recuring: http://tinyurl.com/clux2h .
As for new scripts, this one seems pretty good but was mentioned later
in the LKML thread you linked: http://cateee.net/autokernconf/ .

(So a small list seems to be diet-kconfig, autokernconf and the helper
script in the Linux Kernel in a Nutshell book).

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/