2009-03-29 10:41:08

by Soeren Sonnenburg

Subject: enabling kms for i915 disables brightness control and xrandr

Dear all,

I am not sure if this is just a user error/ too old userspace problem,
but I recognized that when I enable kernel based modesetting on a intel
945 based samsung nc 10 netbook, I loose brightness control from within
X and X resolutions are wrong (instead of 1024x600 it is 1024x1024) and
xrandr does no longer have the all the modelines ranging from 1024x600
to 640x350... Trying to change resolutions / setting the brightness via
xrandr results in error messages being printed.

Furthermore, this same flag disables Xv support..

However, screen switches between terminal and X are quite fast now
(without any flicker) and suspend and everything works stably.

I recognized that I can set the brightness via

setpci -s 00:02.1 F4.B=XX

(XX ranging from 00 to FF) just fine...

I am attaching the .config .

Any ideas?
Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962

Attachments:
config.gz (16.10 kB)

2009-03-29 11:01:55

by Sitsofe Wheeler

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:34:01PM +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> I am not sure if this is just a user error/ too old userspace problem,

Which version of X intel driver are you running?
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/27/363 suggests you will have unsupported
problems unless it is 2.6.2 or higher...

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

2009-03-29 12:00:58

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 12:01 +0100, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:34:01PM +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> >
> > I am not sure if this is just a user error/ too old userspace problem,
>
> Which version of X intel driver are you running?
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/27/363 suggests you will have unsupported
> problems unless it is 2.6.2 or higher...

Using 2.6.3 things became a lot faster with UXA, but the brightness
(only possible to set via setpci) and xrandr problems (modes missing)
are still there...

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962

2009-03-29 13:07:26

by Sitsofe Wheeler

(CC'ing dri-devel, Eric Anholt and Jesse Barnes)

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:34:01PM +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am not sure if this is just a user error/ too old userspace problem,

[User stated that 2.6.3 intel driver is being used in another email]

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

2009-03-29 13:22:57

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 14:07 +0100, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> (CC'ing dri-devel, Eric Anholt and Jesse Barnes)
>
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:34:01PM +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am not sure if this is just a user error/ too old userspace problem,
>
> [User stated that 2.6.3 intel driver is being used in another email]

Just to not cause any (further?) confusion, I was using 2.6.1 when I
wrote that email and after compiling/upgrading to 2.6.3 a number of
problems vanished (like Xv works, screen resolution is correct, things
are *a lot* faster with UXA). However, brightness still only works via
setpci and xrandr only shows the 1024x600 modeline.

> > but I recognized that when I enable kernel based modesetting on a intel
> > 945 based samsung nc 10 netbook, I loose brightness control from within
> > X and X resolutions are wrong (instead of 1024x600 it is 1024x1024) and
> > xrandr does no longer have the all the modelines ranging from 1024x600
> > to 640x350... Trying to change resolutions / setting the brightness via
> > xrandr results in error messages being printed.
> >
> > Furthermore, this same flag disables Xv support..
> >
> > However, screen switches between terminal and X are quite fast now
> > (without any flicker) and suspend and everything works stably.
> >
> > I recognized that I can set the brightness via
> >
> > setpci -s 00:02.1 F4.B=XX
> >
> > (XX ranging from 00 to FF) just fine...

Soeren.
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962

2009-03-30 13:37:37

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 15:22 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 14:07 +0100, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> > (CC'ing dri-devel, Eric Anholt and Jesse Barnes)
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:34:01PM +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > I am not sure if this is just a user error/ too old userspace problem,
> >
> > [User stated that 2.6.3 intel driver is being used in another email]
>
> Just to not cause any (further?) confusion, I was using 2.6.1 when I
> wrote that email and after compiling/upgrading to 2.6.3 a number of
> problems vanished (like Xv works, screen resolution is correct, things
> are *a lot* faster with UXA). However, brightness still only works via
> setpci and xrandr only shows the 1024x600 modeline.
>
> > > but I recognized that when I enable kernel based modesetting on a intel
> > > 945 based samsung nc 10 netbook, I loose brightness control from within
> > > X and X resolutions are wrong (instead of 1024x600 it is 1024x1024) and
> > > xrandr does no longer have the all the modelines ranging from 1024x600
> > > to 640x350... Trying to change resolutions / setting the brightness via
> > > xrandr results in error messages being printed.
> > >
> > > Furthermore, this same flag disables Xv support..
> > >
> > > However, screen switches between terminal and X are quite fast now
> > > (without any flicker) and suspend and everything works stably.
> > >
> > > I recognized that I can set the brightness via
> > >
> > > setpci -s 00:02.1 F4.B=XX
> > >
> > > (XX ranging from 00 to FF) just fine...

One more thing: Connecting an external display I could turn it on via
xrandr --auto successfully. However, it was not possible to turn the
internal display off (xrandr --output LVDS1 --off) and switching to the
console with the external display connected I managed to freeze the
machine. Turning the external display off worked somehow (the display
then showed vertical stripes) but I could switch to console.

Soeren.
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962

2009-03-30 21:35:11

by Jesse Barnes

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:37:19 +0200
Soeren Sonnenburg <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 15:22 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 14:07 +0100, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> > > (CC'ing dri-devel, Eric Anholt and Jesse Barnes)

> > > [User stated that 2.6.3 intel driver is being used in another
> > > email]
> >
> > Just to not cause any (further?) confusion, I was using 2.6.1 when I
> > wrote that email and after compiling/upgrading to 2.6.3 a number of
> > problems vanished (like Xv works, screen resolution is correct,
> > things are *a lot* faster with UXA). However, brightness still only
> > works via setpci and xrandr only shows the 1024x600 modeline.

> One more thing: Connecting an external display I could turn it on via
> xrandr --auto successfully. However, it was not possible to turn the
> internal display off (xrandr --output LVDS1 --off) and switching to
> the console with the external display connected I managed to freeze
> the machine. Turning the external display off worked somehow (the
> display then showed vertical stripes) but I could switch to console.

Have you filed bugs for these problems? I think the brightness control
issue is due to some missing bits on the 2D side (we don't enable
backlight property control when KMS is active, but should), the other
issues sound like bugs.

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 14:34 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:37:19 +0200
> Soeren Sonnenburg <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Just to not cause any (further?) confusion, I was using 2.6.1 when I
> > > wrote that email and after compiling/upgrading to 2.6.3 a number of
> > > problems vanished (like Xv works, screen resolution is correct,
> > > things are *a lot* faster with UXA). However, brightness still only
> > > works via setpci and xrandr only shows the 1024x600 modeline.

> > One more thing: Connecting an external display I could turn it on via
> > xrandr --auto successfully. However, it was not possible to turn the
> > internal display off (xrandr --output LVDS1 --off) and switching to
> > the console with the external display connected I managed to freeze
> > the machine. Turning the external display off worked somehow (the
> > display then showed vertical stripes) but I could switch to console.
>
> Have you filed bugs for these problems? I think the brightness control
> issue is due to some missing bits on the 2D side (we don't enable
> backlight property control when KMS is active, but should), the other
> issues sound like bugs.

I did nothing besides asking here on lkml. Where should I report what?

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962

2009-03-30 23:01:20

by Jesse Barnes

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 00:57:50 +0200
Soeren Sonnenburg <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 14:34 -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:37:19 +0200
> > Soeren Sonnenburg <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > One more thing: Connecting an external display I could turn it on
> > > via xrandr --auto successfully. However, it was not possible to
> > > turn the internal display off (xrandr --output LVDS1 --off) and
> > > switching to the console with the external display connected I
> > > managed to freeze the machine. Turning the external display off
> > > worked somehow (the display then showed vertical stripes) but I
> > > could switch to console.
> >
> > Have you filed bugs for these problems? I think the brightness
> > control issue is due to some missing bits on the 2D side (we don't
> > enable backlight property control when KMS is active, but should),
> > the other issues sound like bugs.
>
> I did nothing besides asking here on lkml. Where should I report what?

Your xrandr problems should be reported at bugs.freedesktop.org against
the xf86-video-intel driver (in the xorg component). A separate bug
report should be filed for the missing backlight property.

by Eric Anholt

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 14:00 +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 12:01 +0100, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:34:01PM +0200, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > >
> > > I am not sure if this is just a user error/ too old userspace problem,
> >
> > Which version of X intel driver are you running?
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/27/363 suggests you will have unsupported
> > problems unless it is 2.6.2 or higher...
>
> Using 2.6.3 things became a lot faster with UXA, but the brightness
> (only possible to set via setpci) and xrandr problems (modes missing)
> are still there...

KMS property control in the 2D driver was introduced recently, and
should be in 2.7, think.

--
Eric Anholt
[email protected] [email protected]