2009-03-26 04:21:20

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Ext4 tree stable patches backports for 2.6.27 and 2.6.28

I've updated the for-stable and for-stable-2.6.27 branches in the ext4
git tree that were merged into mainline right before 2.6.29. In
addition, there is a build fix for ocfs2 if CONFIG_OFS2_COMPAT_JBD is
enabled.

The ext4 git tree can be found here:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git

The new patches in the for-stable and for-stable-2.6.27 branches can be
found below.

If folks can test out the for-stable and/or the for-stable-2.6.27
branches, I would appreciate it before I send these patches to
[email protected].

- Ted

mainline 2.6.28 2.6.27
commit-description
8f64b32e f609c44f -------
ext4: don't call jbd2_journal_force_commit_nested without journal
7ce9d5d1 c6af7e10 8657e625
ext4: fix ext4_free_inode() vs. ext4_claim_inode() race
395a87bf fa39f633 b3239aab
ext4: fix header check in ext4_ext_search_right() for deep extent trees.
2842c3b5 8ef147bd e9b9a503
ext4: Print the find_group_flex() warning only once
8d03c7a0 1d5f2059 ce54e9c7
ext4: fix bogus BUG_ONs in in mballoc code
d33a1976 40087f88 e0ee7aa0
ext4: fix bb_prealloc_list corruption due to wrong group locking
fb68407b 6dd72926 --------
jbd2: Call journal commit callback without holding j_list_lock
-------- 221a645b --------
ocfs2: Fix build failure when CONFIG_OFS2_COMPAT_JBD is enabled

2009-04-08 19:55:59

by Chuck Ebbert

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:20:55 -0400
"Theodore Ts'o" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've updated the for-stable and for-stable-2.6.27 branches in the ext4
> git tree that were merged into mainline right before 2.6.29. In
> addition, there is a build fix for ocfs2 if CONFIG_OFS2_COMPAT_JBD is
> enabled.
>
> The ext4 git tree can be found here:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tytso/ext4.git
>
> The new patches in the for-stable and for-stable-2.6.27 branches can be
> found below.
>
> If folks can test out the for-stable and/or the for-stable-2.6.27
> branches, I would appreciate it before I send these patches to
> [email protected].

The patches for 2.6.27 apply and build fine, but I haven't gotten any testing
yet.

The real problem with 2.6.27 now is that the vm cyclic writeback changes went
into 2.6.27-stable and there has been no backport of the corresponding ext4
fix for the problems it exposed. That code has changed radically since 2.6.27
and it looks like it would be very difficult to backport what went into 2.6.29,
but without that fix users of 2.6.27 hit stalls and need to reboot.