2009-04-19 14:18:44

by Task Struct From Hell

Subject: how to build a vmlinux with debugging symbols?

List,

I am trying to figure out why one of my servers crashed, I have some C
and ASM knowledge and back in the 2.2 days I even wrote a few modules
to the Linux kernel, but now I am completely lost in the 2.6 kbuild
and as such, can someone point into some documentation on debugging
vmcore's and how to enable debugging symbols so using gdb wont be as
painful? :-)

---
Cheers,
TSFH

2009-04-19 14:27:48

by Arjan van de Ven

Subject: Re: how to build a vmlinux with debugging symbols?

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:18:33 +0100
Task Struct From Hell <[email protected]> wrote:

> List,
>
> I am trying to figure out why one of my servers crashed, I have some C
> and ASM knowledge and back in the 2.2 days I even wrote a few modules
> to the Linux kernel, but now I am completely lost in the 2.6 kbuild
> and as such, can someone point into some documentation on debugging
> vmcore's and how to enable debugging symbols so using gdb wont be as
> painful? :-)

Hi,

just enable CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO configure option...

(and you can use the sripts/markup_oops.pl script to help decode
oopses.. no need for gdb)

visit http://www.lesswatts.org