2009-06-13 11:56:17

by Tvrtko Ursulin

Subject: [2.6.30][regression] ACPI continuously logging errors and exceptions while reading DVD

Hi,

Just booted up 2.6.30 for the first time on this machine and found this problem. Hope the attachment goes through because everything is in there. Log is
shortened since errors are always the same and repeating constantly while DVD is in use.

Tvrtko

P.S. Rafael hope you don't mind CC-ing you directly, I know you do a great job tracking regressions so I though to make it easier like this.

Attachments:
(No filename) (399.00 B)
messages (35.86 kB)

by Tvrtko Ursulin

On Saturday 13 June 2009 12:44:45 Tvrtko A. Ursulin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just booted up 2.6.30 for the first time on this machine and found this
> problem. Hope the attachment goes through because everything is in there.
> Log is shortened since errors are always the same and repeating constantly
> while DVD is in use.

Hm, I am not longer certain this was related to DVD access. At the time I was
looking it may have been a wild coincidence, but after that I saw it at other
times as well.

What also may be interesting, and what I have only now noticed, is that with a
distro kernel (2.6.27.23-0.1-default, openSUSE 11.1), kacpid uses a lot of
CPU time at also seemingly random intervals. So far in ~17 hours of uptime it
accumulated 70 minutes of CPU time. When it is active it uses from 5-20% of
it and load average shoots dramatically up:

USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
root 9 6.9 0.0 0 0 ? S< Jun13 70:24 [kacpid]

10:07am up 16:49, 2 users, load average: 2.56, 1.34, 0.80

Tvrtko