2009-09-08 14:27:41

by Junhee Lee

Subject: microsecond event scheduling in an application

I am working on event scheduler which handles events in microsecond level.
Actual this program is a network emulator using simulation codes.
I'd like to expect that network emulator is working as simulation behaviors.
Thus high resolution timer interrupt is required.
But high resolution timer interrupt derived by high tick frequency (jiffies
clock) must effect the system performance.
Are there any comments or ways to support microsecond event scheduling
without performance degradation?

by Robert Hancock

On 09/08/2009 08:27 AM, Junhee Lee wrote:
> I am working on event scheduler which handles events in microsecond level.
> Actual this program is a network emulator using simulation codes.
> I'd like to expect that network emulator is working as simulation behaviors.
> Thus high resolution timer interrupt is required.
> But high resolution timer interrupt derived by high tick frequency (jiffies
> clock) must effect the system performance.
> Are there any comments or ways to support microsecond event scheduling
> without performance degradation?

Just increasing HZ will degrade performance, yes, but we have hrtimers
now which should be able to use granularities smaller than one jiffy, so
it shouldn't be needed..

2009-09-20 18:30:47

by Arjan van de Ven

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:26:09 -0600
Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 09/08/2009 08:27 AM, Junhee Lee wrote:
> > I am working on event scheduler which handles events in microsecond
> > level. Actual this program is a network emulator using simulation
> > codes. I'd like to expect that network emulator is working as
> > simulation behaviors. Thus high resolution timer interrupt is
> > required. But high resolution timer interrupt derived by high tick
> > frequency (jiffies clock) must effect the system performance.
> > Are there any comments or ways to support microsecond event
> > scheduling without performance degradation?
>
> Just increasing HZ will degrade performance, yes, but we have
> hrtimers now which should be able to use granularities smaller than
> one jiffy, so it shouldn't be needed..

select/poll use hrtimers, which are jiffies independent....

you'll be hard pressed to notice jiffies granularity in userspace
nowadays..

visit http://www.lesswatts.org

2009-09-22 06:35:31

by Junhee Lee

Thanks Arjan van de Ven.
Your comment is very useful to me.
Now I am trying to solve microsecond events scheduling using hrtimer.