2009-10-08 23:06:57

by Fred .Flintstone

Subject: Microsoft is planning Windows 8 to be 128-bit

So I heard that Microsoft is now planning Windows 8 to be 128-bit.

So what do guys think about this?
And what are you going to do about it?

2009-10-08 23:20:34

by Justin P. Mattock

Subject: Re: Microsoft is planning Windows 8 to be 128-bit

Fred . wrote:
> So I heard that Microsoft is now planning Windows 8 to be 128-bit.
>
> So what do guys think about this?
> And what are you going to do about it?

probably not the best question to ask here.
please keep it to kernel development.

but IMHO good for them, will I change up,
probably not(can't live without kernel/SELinux
good stuff!).

Justin P. Mattock

2009-10-08 23:21:56

by Bryan Donlan

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Fred . <[email protected]> wrote:
> So I heard that Microsoft is now planning Windows 8 to be 128-bit.
>
> So what do guys think about this?
> And what are you going to do about it?

It's a crazy rumor. The CPU architecture would have to exist first (it
doesn't), and there's no compelling reason to go from 64-bit to
128-bit; 64-bit is a HUGE amount of address space by anyone's
standards, and we don't even have any x86-64 CPUs that can use all of
that address space yet (they're still in the 40-50 bits range). And
Microsoft isn't going to yank the rug out from under their developers
_again_ without a damn good reason.

2009-10-09 07:46:16

by Peter Zijlstra

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 19:20 -0400, Bryan Donlan wrote:
> The CPU architecture would have to exist first (it doesn't)

And here I was going to ask Fred to send me such a machine so that I
could port Linux for him ;-)

2009-10-09 09:31:24

by Egon Alter

Hi,

> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 19:20 -0400, Bryan Donlan wrote:
> > The CPU architecture would have to exist first (it doesn't)
>
> And here I was going to ask Fred to send me such a machine so that I
> could port Linux for him ;-)

I think, what was meant here is the 128-bit (sse) and 256-bit (avx) vector
extentions of current and future processors. So if you want to run a small
kernel on your graphics card and/or on some vector units inside the main cpu,
128 and 256 bit registers are required.

Egon

El Fri, 09 Oct 2009 09:49:37 +0200
Peter Zijlstra <[email protected]> escribió:

> On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 19:20 -0400, Bryan Donlan wrote:
> > The CPU architecture would have to exist first (it doesn't)
>
> And here I was going to ask Fred to send me such a machine so that I
> could port Linux for him ;-)

The confusion comes (I think) from a bad worded article[1] in, the otherwise
quite fine, arstechnica website. They where talking about 128 bit file system
support (again afaics) but in the article it all sounds as if it where talking
about 128 bit CPU's ;)

[1]
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/10/microsoft-mulling-128-bit-versions-of-windows-8-windows-9.ars