2009-11-24 05:50:34

by Reg Clemens

Subject: Kernel options.

I have a pre-compiled 64bit kernel from Fedora11, and I can execute
both 32 and 64bit executables with it.

I have just built a new kernel (to test some PPS code), and I CANT
execute 32bit executables with it.

There must be some option I didnt check.
What is it?????

--
Reg.Clemens

by CaT

Subject: Re: Kernel options.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:56:10PM -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:
> I have a pre-compiled 64bit kernel from Fedora11, and I can execute
> both 32 and 64bit executables with it.
>
> I have just built a new kernel (to test some PPS code), and I CANT
> execute 32bit executables with it.
>
> There must be some option I didnt check.
> What is it?????

In the Executable formats menu there is an option (IA32 Emulation) to run
32bit binaries in 64bit land.

--
"A search of his car uncovered pornography, a homemade sex aid, women's
stockings and a Jack Russell terrier."

2009-11-24 06:00:48

by Cong Wang

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Reg Clemens <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a pre-compiled 64bit kernel from Fedora11, and I can execute
> both 32 and 64bit executables with it.
>
> I have just built a new kernel (to test some PPS code), and I CANT
> execute 32bit executables with it.
>
> There must be some option I didnt check.
> What is it?????

I am assuming you are using an Intel processor, have you enabled
CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION?

2009-11-24 06:44:28

by Reg Clemens

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 09:56:10PM -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:
> > I have a pre-compiled 64bit kernel from Fedora11, and I can execute
> > both 32 and 64bit executables with it.
> >
> > I have just built a new kernel (to test some PPS code), and I CANT
> > execute 32bit executables with it.
> >
> > There must be some option I didnt check.
> > What is it?????
>
> In the Executable formats menu there is an option (IA32 Emulation) to run
> 32bit binaries in 64bit land.

Bingo.
Thats what I was looking for.
Thanks.