2010-04-01 11:30:55

by Paulo Marques

Subject: Performance disparity, problem found

Hi, all

I have two machines that show very different performance numbers.

After digging a little I found out that the first machine has, in
/proc/cpuinfo:

model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.00GHz

while the other has:

model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

and that seems to be the main difference.

Now the problem is that /proc/cpuinfo is read only. Would it be possible
to make /proc/cpuinfo writable so that I could do:

echo -n "model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @
2.40GHz" > /proc/cpuinfo

in the first machine and get a performance similar to the second machine?

--
Paulo Marques - http://www.grupopie.com

"To know recursion, you must first know recursion."

2010-04-01 12:31:02

by Frans Pop

Subject: Re: Performance disparity, problem found

Paulo Marques wrote:
> Now the problem is that /proc/cpuinfo is read only. Would it be possible
> to make /proc/cpuinfo writable so that I could do:
>
> echo -n "model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @
> 2.40GHz" > /proc/cpuinfo
>
> in the first machine and get a performance similar to the second machine?

Good catch! 'chmod +w /proc/cpuinfo' should do the trick.

Cheers,
FJP

2010-04-01 13:51:12

by Paulo Marques

Frans Pop wrote:
> Paulo Marques wrote:
>> Now the problem is that /proc/cpuinfo is read only. Would it be possible
>> to make /proc/cpuinfo writable so that I could do:
>>
>> echo -n "model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @
>> 2.40GHz" > /proc/cpuinfo
>>
>> in the first machine and get a performance similar to the second machine?
>
> Good catch! 'chmod +w /proc/cpuinfo' should do the trick.
>
> Cheers,
> FJP

Thanks, that did the trick. My first machine is much faster now and it
even has 4 cores! :)

--
Paulo Marques - http://www.grupopie.com

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."