2010-06-12 21:32:12

by R.F. Burns

Subject: PC speaker

Is it possible to write a kernel module which, when loaded, will blow
the PC speaker?

2010-06-12 21:59:40

by Daniel Hazelton

Subject: Re: PC speaker

On Saturday, June 12, 2010 05:32:09 pm R.F. Burns wrote:
> Is it possible to write a kernel module which, when loaded, will blow
> the PC speaker?

This question was covered a very long time ago and the answer is "it might be
possible, but in the attempt you could very well fry the PC" - see
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg169244.html for
the full answer.

DRH

2010-06-12 23:58:06

by Alan

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:32:09 -0400
"R.F. Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is it possible to write a kernel module which, when loaded, will blow
> the PC speaker?

Not really. You can do damage to some PCs by attacking other bits of the
hardware (erasing the bios etc) but they are actually a lot better
protected nowdays then some years back.

If you don't have the root password and expertise I imagine throwing it
out of the window or feeding it iron filings will work just as well. That
is physical system access tends to imply you can break it.