2010-11-01 16:12:51

by Dominik Brodowski

Subject: Re: PATCH : linux-2.6.35.4 drivers pcmcia cs.c

Hi,

indeed, on a IBM ThinkPad 770Z there seems to be some bug -- the CardBus
hardware doesn't tell the OS that it is CardBus capable. However, your
patch isn't correct -- it would enable CardBus on all PCMCIA bridges
unconditionally. Therefore, I'd need some more input for a proper patch:

1) Did CardBus cards work on any other kernel?

2) What's the output of "lspci -n -v"

3) What's the output of "sudo lspcmcia -vvv"

4) Are there any BIOS options you may toggle to enable CardBus?

Thanks & best wishes,

Dominik

2010-11-01 22:07:20

by Peter Stuge

Dominik Brodowski wrote:
> indeed, on a IBM ThinkPad 770Z there seems to be some bug -- the CardBus
> hardware doesn't tell the OS that it is CardBus capable.

What hardware is this, and how would it tell the OS?

Is it certain that the hardware *is* actually cardbus capable?

> 2) What's the output of "lspci -n -v"
> 3) What's the output of "sudo lspcmcia -vvv"

Yes please.

> 4) Are there any BIOS options you may toggle to enable CardBus?

//Peter

2010-11-02 08:30:20

by guillermo arias

To Dominic Brodowski :.
> it would enable CardBus on all PCMCIA bridges .
comment :.
"if (!(skt->features || SS_CAP_CARDBUS))" : refuse to enable in any
error(1) condition from "pc or kernel" .

To Peter Stuge :.
>Is it certain that the hardware *is* actually cardbus capable? .
comment :.
was probed with vpn .

Thanks to you .

//Guillermo

On 11/2/10, Peter Stuge <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dominik Brodowski wrote:
>> indeed, on a IBM ThinkPad 770Z there seems to be some bug -- the CardBus
>> hardware doesn't tell the OS that it is CardBus capable.
>
> What hardware is this, and how would it tell the OS?
>
> Is it certain that the hardware *is* actually cardbus capable?
>

>> 2) What's the output of "lspci -n -v"
>> 3) What's the output of "sudo lspcmcia -vvv"
>
> Yes please.
>

>> 4) Are there any BIOS options you may toggle to enable CardBus?
>

> //Peter

2010-11-03 14:00:37

by Dominik Brodowski

Hey,

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 03:26:42PM +0800, guillermo arias wrote:
> To Dominic Brodowski :.
> > it would enable CardBus on all PCMCIA bridges .
> comment :.
> "if (!(skt->features || SS_CAP_CARDBUS))" : refuse to enable in any
> error(1) condition from "pc or kernel" .

No, "if (!((True or False) || True))" => "if (!((True))" => "if False",
which means we enable CardBus unconditionally if your patch is used.

> To Peter Stuge :.
> >Is it certain that the hardware *is* actually cardbus capable? .
> comment :.
> was probed with vpn .
VPN?

Also,

> >> 2) What's the output of "lspci -n -v"
> >> 3) What's the output of "sudo lspcmcia -vvv"
> >> 4) Are there any BIOS options you may toggle to enable CardBus?

Best,
Dominik

2010-11-04 10:24:08

by guillermo arias

thanks for your time effort and dedication to us .

To Dominic Brodowski :.
> "if (!((True or False) || True))" => "if (!((True))" => "if False" .
It is an logical true , but if no_error=0 and error=1 the result of :.
# echo "$(( ! $(( 0 || 0 )) ))"
# 1 # not bypased from the main secuence .

To Peter Stuge .
> VPN?
correction : "was probed with vnc ."
> Also .
in this little "Quick Replay" window if an huge text is inserted , i
can't control it .
no .

sorry gentlemans but i try to do my best .
//gar ; from Venezuela in an 56Kbauds pot https connection .