2011-02-25 21:57:58

by Thomas Fjellstrom

Subject: File/memory corruption in 2.6.37?

Ever since I upgraded to 2.6.37 from 2.6.36, that kmail's folder indexes are
being corrupted fairly regularly. Far more often than is usual (almost never).
Several a day in fact are being corrupted. I can only imagine that this isn't
the only corruption happening and it is worrying.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom

by Thomas Fjellstrom

Subject: Re: File/memory corruption in 2.6.37?

On February 25, 2011, you wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded to 2.6.37 from 2.6.36, that kmail's folder indexes
> are being corrupted fairly regularly. Far more often than is usual (almost
> never). Several a day in fact are being corrupted. I can only imagine that
> this isn't the only corruption happening and it is worrying.

Forgot to give any kind of useful info:

System: Lenovo SL500 laptop, intel core2duo T9400 cpu, 4G ram, gm45 intel gfx

running debian sid, with the current debian 2.6.37 kernel, was running a hand
rolled 2.6.36 kernel with autogroup applied and didn't have these issues.

The only real change has been an updated kernel, and some other misc packages.
(not any KDE packages, have to compile it myself since debian has fallen WAY
behind on KDE again).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom

by Thomas Gleixner

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> On February 25, 2011, you wrote:
> > Ever since I upgraded to 2.6.37 from 2.6.36, that kmail's folder indexes
> > are being corrupted fairly regularly. Far more often than is usual (almost
> > never). Several a day in fact are being corrupted. I can only imagine that
> > this isn't the only corruption happening and it is worrying.
>
> Forgot to give any kind of useful info:
>
> System: Lenovo SL500 laptop, intel core2duo T9400 cpu, 4G ram, gm45 intel gfx
>
> running debian sid, with the current debian 2.6.37 kernel, was running a hand
> rolled 2.6.36 kernel with autogroup applied and didn't have these issues.

Could you verify that with an hand rolled 2.6.37.2 ?

Thanks,

tglx

2011-02-25 22:31:37

by Thomas Fjellstrom

On February 25, 2011, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > On February 25, 2011, you wrote:
> > > Ever since I upgraded to 2.6.37 from 2.6.36, that kmail's folder
> > > indexes are being corrupted fairly regularly. Far more often than is
> > > usual (almost never). Several a day in fact are being corrupted. I can
> > > only imagine that this isn't the only corruption happening and it is
> > > worrying.
> >
> > Forgot to give any kind of useful info:
> >
> > System: Lenovo SL500 laptop, intel core2duo T9400 cpu, 4G ram, gm45 intel
> > gfx
> >
> > running debian sid, with the current debian 2.6.37 kernel, was running a
> > hand rolled 2.6.36 kernel with autogroup applied and didn't have these
> > issues.
>
> Could you verify that with an hand rolled 2.6.37.2 ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> tglx

I suppose it won't hurt to give it a try.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom

by Andrew Morton

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:31:00 -0700
Thomas Fjellstrom <[email protected]> wrote:

> On February 25, 2011, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > >
> > > Forgot to give any kind of useful info:
> > >
> > > System: Lenovo SL500 laptop, intel core2duo T9400 cpu, 4G ram, gm45 intel
> > > gfx
> > >
> > > running debian sid, with the current debian 2.6.37 kernel, was running a
> > > hand rolled 2.6.36 kernel with autogroup applied and didn't have these
> > > issues.
> >
> > Could you verify that with an hand rolled 2.6.37.2 ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > tglx
>
> I suppose it won't hurt to give it a try.

Any results yet?

Which filesystem is being used? I've seen at least one similar report
for reiserfs.

2011-03-03 00:10:34

by Thomas Fjellstrom

On March 2, 2011, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:31:00 -0700
>
> Thomas Fjellstrom <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Could you verify that with an hand rolled 2.6.37.2 ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > tglx
> >
> > I suppose it won't hurt to give it a try.
>
> Any results yet?
>
> Which filesystem is being used? I've seen at least one similar report
> for reiserfs.

So far I haven't noticed the corruption with 2.6.37.2, and I'm using ext3. I'm
going to test with the debian kernel again soon here to see if the problem
come back. I was just seeing if maybe it only happens when I've been using the
system for a long time. I tend to have a lot of issues with this laptop once
its been running for a long enough period (typically related to the intel_gfx
drivers leaking and causing crashes or general unstableness). I had to restart
my laptop a couple days ago, due to it not noticing the resume image.. but I
didn't notice any corruption before that.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom

by Bastien Roucariès

Le jeudi 3 mars 2011 00:52:26, Andrew Morton a ?crit :
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:31:00 -0700
>
> Thomas Fjellstrom <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Could you verify that with an hand rolled 2.6.37.2 ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > tglx
> >
> > I suppose it won't hurt to give it a try.
>
> Any results yet?
>
> Which filesystem is being used? I've seen at least one similar report
> for reiserfs.

Yes in my case kmail+git over reiserfs eat my data quite fast

That is really strange is a simple shell loop : while true; do sync; sleep 1; done; reduce the problem.

Bastien