2011-05-28 20:35:27

by Markus

Subject: 2.6.39 hangs on boot

Hi!

I tried the vanilla 2.6.39 today, but it doesnt even boot. The last
lines I see are:
Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3210.779 MHz.
Switching to clocksource tsc

After that nothing more happens. After a minute I rebooted into a 2.6.38
kernel, it worked:
$ dmesg | grep clocksource
Switching to clocksource hpet
Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3210.778 MHz.
Switching to clocksource tsc

Issue known? Any patch/workaround? How could I help?

Markus

PS: Please CC me.

2011-05-29 07:49:14

by Borislav Petkov

Subject: Re: 2.6.39 hangs on boot

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 10:35:24PM +0200, Markus wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I tried the vanilla 2.6.39 today, but it doesnt even boot. The last
> lines I see are:
> Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3210.779 MHz.
> Switching to clocksource tsc
>
> After that nothing more happens. After a minute I rebooted into a 2.6.38
> kernel, it worked:
> $ dmesg | grep clocksource
> Switching to clocksource hpet
> Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3210.778 MHz.
> Switching to clocksource tsc
>

> Issue known? Any patch/workaround? How could I help?

Please send /proc/cpuinfo, .config and dmesg of the successful boot.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

2011-05-29 23:51:01

by Steven Rostedt

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 10:35:24PM +0200, Markus wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I tried the vanilla 2.6.39 today, but it doesnt even boot. The last
> lines I see are:
> Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3210.779 MHz.
> Switching to clocksource tsc
>
> After that nothing more happens. After a minute I rebooted into a 2.6.38
> kernel, it worked:
> $ dmesg | grep clocksource
> Switching to clocksource hpet
> Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3210.778 MHz.
> Switching to clocksource tsc
>

> Issue known? Any patch/workaround? How could I help?

Could you send me your .config file.

As this weekend (and Monday) is a holiday in the US, I'll probably not
look at it till Tuesday.

> Markus
>
> PS: Please CC me.

That is the only way to communicate on LKML, as no one actually reads
all the emails (well almost no one). It generates 600 messages a day.

-- Steve

2011-05-30 13:06:03

by Markus

Hi!

The current running gentoo kernel is configured as the 2.6.38, just with
some patches (fbcondecor und ck1). Thats where the dmesg and cpuinfo is
from. (if its needed from a vanilla 2.6.38.7, please let me know) Its
cut where only usb/md stuff is printed...

Markus

Am Samstag 28 Mai 2011 schrieb Markus:
> Hi!
>
> I tried the vanilla 2.6.39 today, but it doesnt even boot. The last
> lines I see are:
> Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3210.779 MHz.
> Switching to clocksource tsc
>
> After that nothing more happens. After a minute I rebooted into a
> 2.6.38 kernel, it worked:
> $ dmesg | grep clocksource
> Switching to clocksource hpet
> Refined TSC clocksource calibration: 3210.778 MHz.
> Switching to clocksource tsc
>

> Issue known? Any patch/workaround? How could I help?
>

> Markus
>
> PS: Please CC me.

Attachments:
config-2.6.38.7 (22.27 kB)
config-2.6.39 (22.58 kB)
cpuinfo-2.6.38.2-gentoo-ck1 (3.39 kB)
dmesg-2.6.38.2-gentoo-ck1 (46.39 kB)

by Borislav Petkov

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 03:05:57PM +0200, Markus wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The current running gentoo kernel is configured as the 2.6.38, just with
> some patches (fbcondecor und ck1). Thats where the dmesg and cpuinfo is
> from. (if its needed from a vanilla 2.6.38.7, please let me know) Its
> cut where only usb/md stuff is printed...

Ok, let's try the usual suspects:

Can you apply

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/x86/linux-2.6-tip.git;a=commitdiff;h=e9cdd343a5e42c43bcda01e609fa23089e026470

ontop of 2.6.39 and retest?

Also, when it hangs, does pressing a button on the keyboard wake the
machine up and continue booting?

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Einsteinring 24, 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Gemeinde Aschheim, Landkreis Muenchen
Registergericht Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632

2011-06-06 07:20:10

by Andrew Hamilton

> I tried the vanilla 2.6.39 today, but it doesnt even boot. The last
> lines I see are:
> Switching to clocksource tsc

I have the same problem with hang on boot with 2.6.39. It hangs at the same
point with the same message.

The problem seems to be fbcondecor. Recompile your initrd without fbcondecor
and all works well, of course without a pretty background.

After boot-up splash_manager -c set can set up a pretty background, but
splash_manager -c switch produces a dysfunctional initrd.

Andrew