2011-06-22 13:19:59

by Tiberiu C. Turbureanu

Subject: Maximum number of inotify watches

Hello,

I want to monitor all the files on a server using one instance of
inotify and about 20M watches recursively set on directories in '/' tree
substructure. I'd want to be notified about all type of events defined
by inotify (create, delete, access, modify etc.)

Assuming this monitor daemon running in user-space keeps up with the
frequency of new events in the kernel queue (it reads them), is it
possible to exceed the kernel memory limit because there are too many
watches and events?

TIA,
Tibi

2011-06-22 14:28:41

by Tvrtko Ursulin

Subject: Re: Maximum number of inotify watches

On Wednesday 22 Jun 2011 13:59:20 Tiberiu C. Turbureanu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to monitor all the files on a server using one instance of
> inotify and about 20M watches recursively set on directories in '/' tree
> substructure. I'd want to be notified about all type of events defined
> by inotify (create, delete, access, modify etc.)
>
> Assuming this monitor daemon running in user-space keeps up with the
> frequency of new events in the kernel queue (it reads them), is it
> possible to exceed the kernel memory limit because there are too many
> watches and events?

It does sounds unrealistic with your number of watches.

Have a look at fanotify which will give you a subset of inotify events for
just one watch per mount point. If you really need events which are not
available maybe they can be added.

Tvrtko