Subject: Nouveau regression between 3.6 and 3.7-rc3: driver stuck at "running init tables"

Hi Ben,

I haven't been able to boot any 3.7 kernels since there's a regression
which freezes my machine hard (a lenovo t530 with the dreaded optimus
thing).

3.6 used to work but 3.7 get stuck at (copied by hand but I have an ugly
screenshot if you'd like):
nouveau [ VBIOS][0000:01:00.0] running init tables

Note my uefi settings weren't modified during the whole thing.

I've bisected the issue and git found that commit 4196fa is the one
causing trouble (looking at the diff, it's pretty big):

Author: Ben Skeggs <[email protected]>
Date: Tue Jul 10 14:36:38 2012 +1000

drm/nouveau/i2c: port to subdev interfaces

v2/v3: Ben Skeggs <[email protected]>
- fix typo in default bus selection
- fix accidental loss of destructor

v4: Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov <[email protected]>
- fix typo causing incorrect default i2c port settings when no BMP data

While bisecting the matter, I had a couple of messages like the
following (6 actually). The addresses were always different (I could
send another ugly screenshot if you'd like).

Condition still not met after 2000ms, skipping following opcodes

followed by:

Parsing VBIOUS init table 1 at offset 0x8183

At this point, the kernel was frozen hard (sysrq wasn't working)...

I'm attaching the output of lspci and my kernel config.

If you'd like me to add some debug statements or if you need more info,
feel free, I'd love to help.

Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer [email protected]
The sun itself sees not till heaven clears.
-- William Shakespeare --

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.57 kB)
lspci (30.96 kB)
config (107.63 kB)

by Ben Skeggs

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 00:06 +0100, Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer wrote:
> Hi Ben,
Hey Mathieu,

> I haven't been able to boot any 3.7 kernels since there's a regression
> which freezes my machine hard (a lenovo t530 with the dreaded optimus
> thing).
>
> 3.6 used to work but 3.7 get stuck at (copied by hand but I have an ugly
> screenshot if you'd like):
> nouveau [ VBIOS][0000:01:00.0] running init tables
Are you able to go back to the current master, and get me a
log/screenshot with "nouveau.debug=trace" appended to your kernel
options?

Thanks,
Ben.

> Note my uefi settings weren't modified during the whole thing.
>
> I've bisected the issue and git found that commit 4196fa is the one
> causing trouble (looking at the diff, it's pretty big):
>
> Author: Ben Skeggs <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue Jul 10 14:36:38 2012 +1000
>
> drm/nouveau/i2c: port to subdev interfaces
>
> v2/v3: Ben Skeggs <[email protected]>
> - fix typo in default bus selection
> - fix accidental loss of destructor
>
> v4: Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov <[email protected]>
> - fix typo causing incorrect default i2c port settings when no BMP data
>
> While bisecting the matter, I had a couple of messages like the
> following (6 actually). The addresses were always different (I could
> send another ugly screenshot if you'd like).
>
> Condition still not met after 2000ms, skipping following opcodes
>
> followed by:
>
> Parsing VBIOUS init table 1 at offset 0x8183
>
> At this point, the kernel was frozen hard (sysrq wasn't working)...
>
> I'm attaching the output of lspci and my kernel config.
>
> If you'd like me to add some debug statements or if you need more info,
> feel free, I'd love to help.
>
> Cheers,

Hi again,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 09:15:59AM +1000, Ben Skeggs wrote:
> Are you able to go back to the current master, and get me a
> log/screenshot with "nouveau.debug=trace" appended to your kernel
> options?

Hmmm I did just that on v3.7-rc3-8-g35fd3dc and it doesn't seem to
output more stuff:

http://mathieu.csetco.com/nouveau.jpeg
--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer [email protected]
The sun itself sees not till heaven clears.
-- William Shakespeare --

2012-10-30 05:13:50

by Ben Skeggs

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 00:32 +0100, Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 09:15:59AM +1000, Ben Skeggs wrote:
> > Are you able to go back to the current master, and get me a
> > log/screenshot with "nouveau.debug=trace" appended to your kernel
> > options?
>
> Hmmm I did just that on v3.7-rc3-8-g35fd3dc and it doesn't seem to
> output more stuff:
Hm, the module probably wasn't built with a high enough debug level by
default. It's alright, we'll come back to that if we need to.

Not sure what's up with the hang yet, however, I noticed the issue [1]
which is likely causing the error messages from nouveau's i2c code.
With some luck, it'll stop triggering whatever bug is making it hang in
the VBIOS init table parser.

Ben.

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/nouveau/linux-2.6/commit/?id=000463f13fba6b2f94a5bfcb0d615751ae9c34a0

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 03:12:59PM +1000, Ben Skeggs wrote:
> Not sure what's up with the hang yet, however, I noticed the issue [1]
> which is likely causing the error messages from nouveau's i2c code.
> With some luck, it'll stop triggering whatever bug is making it hang in
> the VBIOS init table parser.

Just tested that and it works (TM). So yeah, that fixed it. Thanks.

Reported-by: Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer <[email protected]>
Tested-by: Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer <[email protected]>

--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer [email protected]
The sun itself sees not till heaven clears.
-- William Shakespeare --

2012-10-30 10:45:50

by Ben Skeggs

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 09:03 +0100, Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 03:12:59PM +1000, Ben Skeggs wrote:
> > Not sure what's up with the hang yet, however, I noticed the issue [1]
> > which is likely causing the error messages from nouveau's i2c code.
> > With some luck, it'll stop triggering whatever bug is making it hang in
> > the VBIOS init table parser.
>
> Just tested that and it works (TM). So yeah, that fixed it. Thanks.
Excellent, thanks! I'll get it into my next -fixes pull.