2013-07-11 01:35:18

by Alasdair G Kergon

Subject: [git pull] device-mapper changes for 3.11

Please pull from:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-dm tags/dm-3.11-changes

to get the following device-mapper changes for 3.11.

Thanks,
Alasdair

Add a device-mapper target called dm-switch to provide a multipath
framework for storage arrays that dynamically reconfigure their
preferred paths for different device regions.

Fix a bug in the verity target that prevented its use with some
specific sizes of devices.

Improve some locking mechanisms in the device-mapper core and bufio.

Add Mike Snitzer as a device-mapper maintainer.

A few more clean-ups and fixes.

Alasdair G Kergon (2):
dm flakey: correct ctr alloc failure mesg
dm: update maintainers

Hannes Reinecke (1):
dm mpath: fix ioctl deadlock when no paths

Jim Ramsay (1):
dm: add switch target

Mikulas Patocka (9):
dm ioctl: set noio flag to avoid __vmalloc deadlock
dm verity: fix inability to use a few specific devices sizes
dm: use __GFP_HIGHMEM in __vmalloc
dm verity: remove pointless comparison
dm verity: use __ffs and __fls
dm cache: fix arm link errors with inline
dm bufio: submit writes outside lock
dm: optimize use SRCU and RCU
dm: optimize reorder structure

Documentation/device-mapper/switch.txt | 126 ++++++++
MAINTAINERS | 2 +
drivers/md/Kconfig | 14 +
drivers/md/Makefile | 1 +
drivers/md/dm-bufio.c | 75 ++++-
drivers/md/dm-cache-target.c | 4 +
drivers/md/dm-flakey.c | 2 +-
drivers/md/dm-ioctl.c | 127 +++++---
drivers/md/dm-mpath.c | 8 +-
drivers/md/dm-switch.c | 538 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/md/dm-table.c | 35 ---
drivers/md/dm-verity.c | 17 +-
drivers/md/dm.c | 177 ++++++-----
include/linux/device-mapper.h | 6 +-
include/uapi/linux/dm-ioctl.h | 4 +-
create mode 100644 Documentation/device-mapper/switch.txt
create mode 100644 drivers/md/dm-switch.c

2013-07-11 06:21:02

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: Re: [git pull] device-mapper changes for 3.11

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 02:34:48 +0100 Alasdair G Kergon <[email protected]> wrote:

> Please pull from:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-dm tags/dm-3.11-changes
>
> to get the following device-mapper changes for 3.11.

The device-mapper tree exists as a quilt series in linux-next. The
patches in the above git tree are the same as the ones in linux-next, but
have a different base (and the ones in linux-next were on a different
base from yesterday as well). :-(

Alistair, is there some reason that you cannot maintain some relatively
stable git tree for me to fetch (instead of the quilt series). Also,
there is not real reason to keep rebasing this stuff (especially just
before sending it to Linus).

If you want to test for conflicts before submission, then, fine, do that
in a test branch by *merging* Linus' tree (git is good for that), but send
Linus your pre merged branch and if there is some complex conflict, then
explain it to him (and me if necessary) or publish your test branch
separately to show your suggested resolution.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.11 kB)
(No filename) (836.00 B)

by Mike Snitzer

On Thu, Jul 11 2013 at 2:20am -0400,
Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 02:34:48 +0100 Alasdair G Kergon <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Please pull from:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/agk/linux-dm tags/dm-3.11-changes
> >
> > to get the following device-mapper changes for 3.11.
>
> The device-mapper tree exists as a quilt series in linux-next. The
> patches in the above git tree are the same as the ones in linux-next, but
> have a different base (and the ones in linux-next were on a different
> base from yesterday as well). :-(
>
> Alistair, is there some reason that you cannot maintain some relatively
> stable git tree for me to fetch (instead of the quilt series). Also,
> there is not real reason to keep rebasing this stuff (especially just
> before sending it to Linus).

Hi Stephen,

I'll be transitioning in to maintain device mapper (for 3.12). Alasdair
will be helping me as needed but ultimately the plan is for me to be the
one sending DM changes upstream in the future. I will maintain a
kernel.org git tree with a 'for-next' branch for you to pull. I'll
likely base my for-next on Jens' for-next as a rule (unless that isn't
ideal on a linux-next process level).

There will be a learning curve for me initially on how to interface with
linux-next, proper git rebase protocol relative to Linus' ideals, etc
but I hope to cut through that quickly.

Regards,
Mike

2013-07-11 13:55:44

by Alasdair G Kergon

Subject: Re: [dm-devel] [git pull] device-mapper changes for 3.11

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 04:20:40PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Alistair, is there some reason that you cannot maintain some relatively
> stable git tree for me to fetch (instead of the quilt series).

Well Mike Snitzer is becoming a joint maintainer and this also requires
changes to the workflow so watch this space.

> Also,
> there is not real reason to keep rebasing this stuff (especially just
> before sending it to Linus).

Most of the time the patches are decoupled from the rest of the tree
and the final linux-next kernel is the same regardless of where the
quilt tree is attached. I maintain a single sequence of patches
where the ones ready for upstream float up to the top and the
linux-next export is a by-product and not the primary output.

Anyway, like I say, we'll be changing things during the next couple of
cycles and we'll bear your suggestions in mind.

Alasdair

2013-07-12 01:01:45

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Mike,

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 09:35:11 -0400 Mike Snitzer <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'll be transitioning in to maintain device mapper (for 3.12). Alasdair
> will be helping me as needed but ultimately the plan is for me to be the
> one sending DM changes upstream in the future. I will maintain a
> kernel.org git tree with a 'for-next' branch for you to pull. I'll
> likely base my for-next on Jens' for-next as a rule (unless that isn't
> ideal on a linux-next process level).

OK, that sounds fine as long as Jen's never rebases his branch (I think
he is pretty good about that).

> There will be a learning curve for me initially on how to interface with
> linux-next, proper git rebase protocol relative to Linus' ideals, etc
> but I hope to cut through that quickly.

Excellent. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

Attachments:
(No filename) (916.00 B)
(No filename) (836.00 B)

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Alasdair,

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:55:22 +0100 Alasdair G Kergon <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 04:20:40PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > Alistair, is there some reason that you cannot maintain some relatively
> > stable git tree for me to fetch (instead of the quilt series).
>
> Well Mike Snitzer is becoming a joint maintainer and this also requires
> changes to the workflow so watch this space.

OK, noted.

> > Also,
> > there is not real reason to keep rebasing this stuff (especially just
> > before sending it to Linus).
>
> Most of the time the patches are decoupled from the rest of the tree
> and the final linux-next kernel is the same regardless of where the
> quilt tree is attached. I maintain a single sequence of patches
> where the ones ready for upstream float up to the top and the
> linux-next export is a by-product and not the primary output.
>
> Anyway, like I say, we'll be changing things during the next couple of
> cycles and we'll bear your suggestions in mind.

Thanks, I will watch for developments.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.11 kB)
(No filename) (836.00 B)

by Mike Snitzer

Subject: please fetch new git-based DM 'for-next' branch [was: Re: [git pull] device-mapper changes for 3.11]

On Thu, Jul 11 2013 at 9:03pm -0400,
Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Alasdair,
>
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:55:22 +0100 Alasdair G Kergon <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 04:20:40PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Alistair, is there some reason that you cannot maintain some relatively
> > > stable git tree for me to fetch (instead of the quilt series).
> >
> > Well Mike Snitzer is becoming a joint maintainer and this also requires
> > changes to the workflow so watch this space.
>
> OK, noted.

Hi Stephen,

To access all future DM changes for linux-next, please switch from
Alasdair's quilt tree to using the 'for-next' branch of the DM git repo:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git

Thanks,
Mike

2013-08-19 00:13:45

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Mike, Alasdair,

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:18:10 -0400 Mike Snitzer <[email protected]> wrote:

> To access all future DM changes for linux-next, please switch from
> Alasdair's quilt tree to using the 'for-next' branch of the DM git repo:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/device-mapper/linux-dm.git

Done. You are both listed as contacts for problems with that tree.

Thanks.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

Attachments:
(No filename) (468.00 B)