2014-01-13 00:28:00

by Rob Landley

Subject: powerpc32 broken by ef1313deafb7

Using the attached config, toolchain from
http://landley.net/aboriginal/bin/cross-compiler-powerpc.tar.bz2 but
presumably any 32 bit powerpc one should work, building ala make
ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-

CC arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.o
In file included from include/linux/thread_info.h:10,
from include/linux/preempt.h:9,
from arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.c:22:
include/linux/types.h:29: error: both 'unsigned' and '_Bool' in
declaration specifiers
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
include/linux/types.h:29: warning: useless type name in empty
declaration
In file included from include/linux/kernel.h:11,
from include/asm-generic/bug.h:13,
from
/home/landley/linux/linux/arch/powerpc/include/asm/bug.h:127,
from include/linux/bug.h:4,
from include/linux/thread_info.h:11,
from include/linux/preempt.h:9,
from arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.c:22:

And then pages more errors. The commit before that one didn't do that.

Rob

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.06 kB)
.config (89.72 kB)

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

Subject: Re: powerpc32 broken by ef1313deafb7

On Sun, 2014-01-12 at 18:27 -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> Using the attached config, toolchain from
> http://landley.net/aboriginal/bin/cross-compiler-powerpc.tar.bz2 but
> presumably any 32 bit powerpc one should work, building ala make
> ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-
>
> CC arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.o
> In file included from include/linux/thread_info.h:10,
> from include/linux/preempt.h:9,
> from arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.c:22:
> include/linux/types.h:29: error: both 'unsigned' and '_Bool' in
> declaration specifiers
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> include/linux/types.h:29: warning: useless type name in empty
> declaration
> In file included from include/linux/kernel.h:11,
> from include/asm-generic/bug.h:13,
> from
> /home/landley/linux/linux/arch/powerpc/include/asm/bug.h:127,
> from include/linux/bug.h:4,
> from include/linux/thread_info.h:11,
> from include/linux/preempt.h:9,
> from arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.c:22:
>
> And then pages more errors. The commit before that one didn't do that.

Your attached config has ...

CONFIG_X86_64=y
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_INSTRUCTION_DECODER=y
CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf64-x86-64"
CONFIG_ARCH_DEFCONFIG="arch/x86/configs/x86_64_defconfig"

So it's probably not what you wanted :-)

I'm not sure what the problem you see is because I've definitely run all
of these versions through my usual set of test configs without any
trouble, including a bunch of 32-bit ones.

Cheers,
Ben.

> Rob

2014-01-13 15:25:45

by Rob Landley

On 01/12/14 19:09, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-01-12 at 18:27 -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
>> Using the attached config, toolchain from
>> http://landley.net/aboriginal/bin/cross-compiler-powerpc.tar.bz2 but
>> presumably any 32 bit powerpc one should work, building ala make
>> ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-
>>
>> CC arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.o
>> In file included from include/linux/thread_info.h:10,
>> from include/linux/preempt.h:9,
>> from arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.c:22:
>> include/linux/types.h:29: error: both 'unsigned' and '_Bool' in
>> declaration specifiers
>> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
>> include/linux/types.h:29: warning: useless type name in empty
>> declaration
>> In file included from include/linux/kernel.h:11,
>> from include/asm-generic/bug.h:13,
>> from
>> /home/landley/linux/linux/arch/powerpc/include/asm/bug.h:127,
>> from include/linux/bug.h:4,
>> from include/linux/thread_info.h:11,
>> from include/linux/preempt.h:9,
>> from arch/powerpc/lib/xor_vmx.c:22:
>>
>> And then pages more errors. The commit before that one didn't do that.
>
> Your attached config has ...
>
> CONFIG_X86_64=y
> CONFIG_X86=y
> CONFIG_INSTRUCTION_DECODER=y
> CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf64-x86-64"
> CONFIG_ARCH_DEFCONFIG="arch/x86/configs/x86_64_defconfig"
>
> So it's probably not what you wanted :-)

Sorry, right directory, wrong machine. Correct one attached.

> I'm not sure what the problem you see is because I've definitely run all
> of these versions through my usual set of test configs without any
> trouble, including a bunch of 32-bit ones.

I bisected it to the git commit in the title. The one before that does
build (as powerpc), starting with that one (and continuing to today) the
build breaks for me. Quite possible something's wrong with the config,
but it was working before and the bisected commit didn't fiddle with
Kconfig files...

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments:
thisconfig (34.23 kB)

2014-01-18 18:18:53

by Rob Landley

On 01/12/14 19:09, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> Your attached config has ...
>
> CONFIG_X86_64=y
> CONFIG_X86=y
> CONFIG_INSTRUCTION_DECODER=y
> CONFIG_OUTPUT_FORMAT="elf64-x86-64"
> CONFIG_ARCH_DEFCONFIG="arch/x86/configs/x86_64_defconfig"
>
> So it's probably not what you wanted :-)

No, it wasn't. I accidentally attached the wrong .config.

I replied to this with the correct config last week. Did you get it?
Here it is again. Just built against a fresh git pull and it's still
happening for me...

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments:
.config (34.77 kB)

2014-01-22 10:39:09

by Anton Blanchard

Hi Rob,

> I replied to this with the correct config last week. Did you get it?
> Here it is again. Just built against a fresh git pull and it's still
> happening for me...

Your .config built fine with a couple of different toolchains I have
here. One of them was the 4.7.3 powerpc64 biarch build:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/tools/crosstool/

What toolchain are you using for your builds?

Anton