2014-04-02 13:58:24

by Nikola Ciprich

Subject: Re: 3.0 -> 3.10 regression? poweroff instead of reboot?

Hi Tomas,

bad news, we just had failed boot with 3.10.35 with your patch:

last line was:

mei_me 0000:00:16.0: wait hw ready failed. status = -110

so it can probably happen that boot hangs on mei_me init attempt..

colleague just told me it also happened to him with 3.13 kernel,
however I don't have more info on that case..

if I can provide more information, please let me know.

BR

nik

--
-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH

tel.: +420 591 166 214
fax: +420 596 621 273
mobil: +420 777 093 799
http://www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: [email protected]
-------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.35 kB)
(No filename) (198.00 B)

by Winkler, Tomas

> Hi Tomas,
>
> bad news, we just had failed boot with 3.10.35 with your patch:
>
> last line was:
>
> mei_me 0000:00:16.0: wait hw ready failed. status = -110
>
> so it can probably happen that boot hangs on mei_me init attempt..
>
> colleague just told me it also happened to him with 3.13 kernel,
> however I don't have more info on that case..
>
> if I can provide more information, please let me know.

I would need the devices ids of the MEI device on your platform (lspci will do the job), is this same platform as you tested before?
You should not get to requesting the HW readiness w/ my patch.
Thanks
Tomas

-----------------------------

2014-04-02 14:36:46

by Nikola Ciprich

Hello Tomas,
> I would need the devices ids of the MEI device on your platform (lspci will do the job), is this same platform as you tested before?
> You should not get to requesting the HW readiness w/ my patch.

yes, it's the same box.

here are the IDs:

00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:16.1 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #2 (rev 04)

00:16.0 0780: 8086:1c3a (rev 04)
00:16.1 0780: 8086:1c3b (rev 04)

nik

--
-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH
LinuxBox.cz, s.r.o.
28. rijna 168, 709 00 Ostrava

tel.: +420 591 166 214
fax: +420 596 621 273
mobil: +420 777 093 799

http://www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: [email protected]
-------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (931.00 B)
(No filename) (198.00 B)

by Winkler, Tomas

> Hello Tomas,
> > I would need the devices ids of the MEI device on your platform (lspci will do
> the job), is this same platform as you tested before?
> > You should not get to requesting the HW readiness w/ my patch.
>
> yes, it's the same box.
>
> here are the IDs:
>
> 00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series
> Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
> 00:16.1 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series
> Chipset Family MEI Controller #2 (rev 04)
>
> 00:16.0 0780: 8086:1c3a (rev 04)
> 00:16.1 0780: 8086:1c3b (rev 04)

Are use you have the patch applied, because the driver just should not load.
If any case you dump the firmware status registers"
At offset 0x40 and 0x48 in PCI config space
sudo hexdump -s 0x48 -n 4 /proc/bus/pci/00/16.0
sudo hexdump -s 0x40 -n 4 /proc/bus/pci/00/16.0

Thanks
Tomas

2014-04-07 13:25:42

by Nikola Ciprich

Hi Tomas,

yes, I just checked source rpm and it's applied..

here are the dumps:

[root@k310test ~]# hexdump -s 0x48 -n 4 /proc/bus/pci/00/16.0
0000048 a301 3900
000004c
[root@k310test ~]# hexdump -s 0x40 -n 4 /proc/bus/pci/00/16.0
0000040 0345 000f
0000044

BR

nik

--
-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH
LinuxBox.cz, s.r.o.
28.rijna 168, 709 00 Ostrava

tel.: +420 591 166 214
fax: +420 596 621 273
mobil: +420 777 093 799
http://www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: [email protected]
-------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (945.00 B)
(No filename) (198.00 B)

by Winkler, Tomas

I'm not sure how this is possible that this is failing for you

if ((0xa301 & 0x600) == 0x200)
goto no_mei;
so this is okay, the driver should not bind

How the patch worked for you before this test?

Sorry for asking but can you please double check your compilation setup.

Thanks
Tomas

2014-04-08 06:50:10

by Nikola Ciprich

Hello Tomas,

> I'm not sure how this is possible that this is failing for you
>
> if ((0xa301 & 0x600) == 0x200)
> goto no_mei;
> so this is okay, the driver should not bind
>
> How the patch worked for you before this test?
>
> Sorry for asking but can you please double check your compilation setup.

You're right of course :-(

I tried rebuilding rpm again now, and patch spits following:

Hunk #1 succeeded at 105 (offset -2 lines).
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line

it's bad rpm build didn't abort at this point, but apparently
this is patch's fault:

[root@dev6 linux-3.10]# cat /tmp/mei/1 | patch -sp1
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
[root@dev6 linux-3.10]# echo $?
0

:-(

well, this sucks, I really wouldn't expect that kind of bug in such widely
used program as patch :(

I'll report that.

(btw this error was caused by one whitespace character at last line of patch)

anyways, You can certainly forgot about that, it was my fault :(

sorry about that

nik

--
-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH
LinuxBox.cz, s.r.o.
28.rijna 168, 709 00 Ostrava

tel.: +420 591 166 214
fax: +420 596 621 273
mobil: +420 777 093 799
http://www.linuxbox.cz

mobil servis: +420 737 238 656
email servis: [email protected]
-------------------------------------

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.30 kB)
(No filename) (198.00 B)

by Winkler, Tomas

This is really strange, can it be that your mailer has introduced some blanks into the patch,
I've checked that patch applies to all relevant stable kernels.

> anyways, You can certainly forgot about that, it was my fault :(
>
> sorry about that

No harm done, it's good this was sorted out.
Thanks
Tomas

2014-04-08 07:05:51

by Nikola Ciprich

> This is really strange, can it be that your mailer has introduced some blanks into the patch,
> I've checked that patch applies to all relevant stable kernels.

I had it downloaded from link You've sent:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/3/25/396

using

wget https://lkml.org/lkml/diff/2014/3/25/396/1

I get two whitespaces on the last line..

n.

--
-------------------------------------
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH