2014-07-15 03:29:59

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: build failure after merge of the v4l-dvb tree

Hi Mauro,

After merging the v4l-dvb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc ppc64_defconfig)
failed like this:

arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
{ cpu_smt_mask, powerpc_smt_flags, SD_INIT_NAME(SMT) },
^
arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: (near initialization for 'powerpc_topology[0].sd_flags') [-Werror]

Caused by commit 6a0b50087a89 ("Merge branch 'patchwork' into
to_next"). The change to include/linux/sched.h in this merge commit
does not seem to appear in either of the parents of the merge.

Its also a change that (when suggested) was shown to cause more
problems than it was worth and dropped. I can't imagine how it ended
up in the merge commit.

I have used the v4l-dvb tree from next-20140714 for today. Please fix
this up.
Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)

2014-07-15 05:43:45

by Guenter Roeck

On 07/14/2014 08:29 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> After merging the v4l-dvb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc ppc64_defconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
> { cpu_smt_mask, powerpc_smt_flags, SD_INIT_NAME(SMT) },
> ^
> arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: (near initialization for 'powerpc_topology[0].sd_flags') [-Werror]
>
> Caused by commit 6a0b50087a89 ("Merge branch 'patchwork' into
> to_next"). The change to include/linux/sched.h in this merge commit
> does not seem to appear in either of the parents of the merge.
>
> Its also a change that (when suggested) was shown to cause more
> problems than it was worth and dropped. I can't imagine how it ended
> up in the merge commit.

Do you mean b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings) ? I thought that was accepted
a week or so ago.

Guenter

2014-07-15 05:55:57

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Guenter,

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 22:43:42 -0700 Guenter Roeck <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 07/14/2014 08:29 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >
> > After merging the v4l-dvb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc ppc64_defconfig)
> > failed like this:
> >
> > arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
> > { cpu_smt_mask, powerpc_smt_flags, SD_INIT_NAME(SMT) },
> > ^
> > arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: (near initialization for 'powerpc_topology[0].sd_flags') [-Werror]
> >
> > Caused by commit 6a0b50087a89 ("Merge branch 'patchwork' into
> > to_next"). The change to include/linux/sched.h in this merge commit
> > does not seem to appear in either of the parents of the merge.
> >
> > Its also a change that (when suggested) was shown to cause more
> > problems than it was worth and dropped. I can't imagine how it ended
> > up in the merge commit.
> >

> Do you mean b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings) ? I thought that was accepted
> a week or so ago.

That is in the tip tree and includes the fixups to powerpc and arm. I
don't merge the tip tree till well after the v4l-dvb tree. The merge
in the v4l-dvb tree included only the change to include/linus/sched.h
and neither parent fo that merge was based on the tip tree ...

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)

2014-07-15 09:01:30

by Guenter Roeck

On 07/14/2014 10:55 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 22:43:42 -0700 Guenter Roeck <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/14/2014 08:29 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>>
>>> After merging the v4l-dvb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc ppc64_defconfig)
>>> failed like this:
>>>
>>> arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
>>> { cpu_smt_mask, powerpc_smt_flags, SD_INIT_NAME(SMT) },
>>> ^
>>> arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: (near initialization for 'powerpc_topology[0].sd_flags') [-Werror]
>>>
>>> Caused by commit 6a0b50087a89 ("Merge branch 'patchwork' into
>>> to_next"). The change to include/linux/sched.h in this merge commit
>>> does not seem to appear in either of the parents of the merge.
>>>
>>> Its also a change that (when suggested) was shown to cause more
>>> problems than it was worth and dropped. I can't imagine how it ended
>>> up in the merge commit.
>>>

>> Do you mean b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings) ? I thought that was accepted
>> a week or so ago.
>
> That is in the tip tree and includes the fixups to powerpc and arm. I
> don't merge the tip tree till well after the v4l-dvb tree. The merge
> in the v4l-dvb tree included only the change to include/linus/sched.h
> and neither parent fo that merge was based on the tip tree ...

Ah, looks like that is the older version of my patch. You are right, this version
did have problems.

Thanks,
Guenter

2014-07-15 18:08:19

by Mauro Carvalho Chehab

Hi Guenter,

Em Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:55:47 +1000
Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> escreveu:

> Hi Guenter,
>
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 22:43:42 -0700 Guenter Roeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On 07/14/2014 08:29 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > >
> > > After merging the v4l-dvb tree, today's linux-next build (powerpc ppc64_defconfig)
> > > failed like this:
> > >
> > > arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: initialization from incompatible pointer type [-Werror]
> > > { cpu_smt_mask, powerpc_smt_flags, SD_INIT_NAME(SMT) },
> > > ^
> > > arch/powerpc/kernel/smp.c:764:2: error: (near initialization for 'powerpc_topology[0].sd_flags') [-Werror]
> > >
> > > Caused by commit 6a0b50087a89 ("Merge branch 'patchwork' into
> > > to_next"). The change to include/linux/sched.h in this merge commit
> > > does not seem to appear in either of the parents of the merge.
> > >
> > > Its also a change that (when suggested) was shown to cause more
> > > problems than it was worth and dropped. I can't imagine how it ended
> > > up in the merge commit.

Sorry, it was merged there by mistake. I had to apply that quick hack
to be able check if everything was ok on my tree before pushing it
upstream (as I do my tests with W=1). Without that hack, it is almost
impossible to see anything at the compilation logs, as it generates
hundreds of warnings like:

In file included from include/linux/i2c.h:31:0,
from drivers/staging/media/go7007/go7007-fw.c:31:
include/linux/sched.h:875:25: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
static inline const int cpu_smt_flags(void)
^
include/linux/sched.h:882:25: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
static inline const int cpu_core_flags(void)
^
include/linux/sched.h:1002:21: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
typedef const int (*sched_domain_flags_f)(void);
^

even when compiling just drivers/media and drivers/staging/media.

> > Do you mean b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings) ? I thought that was accepted
> > a week or so ago.
>
> That is in the tip tree and includes the fixups to powerpc and arm. I
> don't merge the tip tree till well after the v4l-dvb tree. The merge
> in the v4l-dvb tree included only the change to include/linus/sched.h
> and neither parent fo that merge was based on the tip tree ...

Stephen,

Do you know if/when this patch will be merged upstream? It doesn't
seem to be at 2.6.16-rc5. Otherwise, I'll likely cherry-pick it on
my trees, as the lack of this fixup is making hard for me to check
if a media tree patch isn't introducing new warnings.

Thanks,
Mauro

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)

2014-07-15 19:08:14

by Guenter Roeck

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 03:08:01PM -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> Em Tue, 15 Jul 2014 15:55:47 +1000
> Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> escreveu:
>
> > Hi Guenter,

> Sorry, it was merged there by mistake. I had to apply that quick hack
> to be able check if everything was ok on my tree before pushing it
> upstream (as I do my tests with W=1). Without that hack, it is almost
> impossible to see anything at the compilation logs, as it generates
> hundreds of warnings like:
>
> In file included from include/linux/i2c.h:31:0,
> from drivers/staging/media/go7007/go7007-fw.c:31:
> include/linux/sched.h:875:25: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
> static inline const int cpu_smt_flags(void)
> ^
> include/linux/sched.h:882:25: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
> static inline const int cpu_core_flags(void)
> ^
> include/linux/sched.h:1002:21: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type [-Wignored-qualifiers]
> typedef const int (*sched_domain_flags_f)(void);
> ^
>
> even when compiling just drivers/media and drivers/staging/media.

Yes, I know, I had the same problem with my hwmon and watchdog builds.
I ended up adding code to my test scripts to specifically ignore
those warnings. Of course, that may accidentially remove real warnings,
but it is still better than drowning _all_ warnings in the noise.

> > > Do you mean b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings) ? I thought that was accepted
> > > a week or so ago.
> >
> > That is in the tip tree and includes the fixups to powerpc and arm. I
> > don't merge the tip tree till well after the v4l-dvb tree. The merge
> > in the v4l-dvb tree included only the change to include/linus/sched.h
> > and neither parent fo that merge was based on the tip tree ...
> >
> Stephen,
>
> Do you know if/when this patch will be merged upstream? It doesn't
> seem to be at 2.6.16-rc5. Otherwise, I'll likely cherry-pick it on
s/2.16/3.16/
> my trees, as the lack of this fixup is making hard for me to check
> if a media tree patch isn't introducing new warnings.

Only queued for 3.17 as far as I can see, and not scheduled for 3.16.

Guenter

2014-07-16 03:04:47

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Guenter,

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 12:08:07 -0700 Guenter Roeck <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > That is in the tip tree and includes the fixups to powerpc and arm. I
> > > don't merge the tip tree till well after the v4l-dvb tree. The merge
> > > in the v4l-dvb tree included only the change to include/linus/sched.h
> > > and neither parent fo that merge was based on the tip tree ...
> > >
> > Stephen,
> >
> > Do you know if/when this patch will be merged upstream? It doesn't
> > seem to be at 2.6.16-rc5. Otherwise, I'll likely cherry-pick it on
> s/2.16/3.16/
> > my trees, as the lack of this fixup is making hard for me to check
> > if a media tree patch isn't introducing new warnings.
>
> Only queued for 3.17 as far as I can see, and not scheduled for 3.16.

Its in the sched/urgent branch of the tip tree, so hopefully it will go
to Linus shortly.

[ccing various tip tree maintainers ...]

Hi guys, this commit (b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings)) fixes
lots of W=1 build warnings ... just wondering when it will progress?

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)

2014-07-16 04:29:08

by Guenter Roeck

On 07/15/2014 08:04 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Guenter,

>>> Stephen,
>>>
>>> Do you know if/when this patch will be merged upstream? It doesn't
>>> seem to be at 2.6.16-rc5. Otherwise, I'll likely cherry-pick it on
>> s/2.16/3.16/
>>> my trees, as the lack of this fixup is making hard for me to check
>>> if a media tree patch isn't introducing new warnings.
>>
>> Only queued for 3.17 as far as I can see, and not scheduled for 3.16.
>
> Its in the sched/urgent branch of the tip tree, so hopefully it will go
> to Linus shortly.

Excellent, glad to hear that I was wrong. Looking forward to it.

Thanks,
Guenter

2014-07-16 13:21:30

by Ingo Molnar

* Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Guenter,

> > > Stephen,
> > >
> > > Do you know if/when this patch will be merged upstream? It doesn't
> > > seem to be at 2.6.16-rc5. Otherwise, I'll likely cherry-pick it on
> > s/2.16/3.16/
> > > my trees, as the lack of this fixup is making hard for me to check
> > > if a media tree patch isn't introducing new warnings.
> >
> > Only queued for 3.17 as far as I can see, and not scheduled for 3.16.
>
> Its in the sched/urgent branch of the tip tree, so hopefully it will go
> to Linus shortly.
>
> [ccing various tip tree maintainers ...]
>
> Hi guys, this commit (b6220ad66 (sched: Fix compiler warnings)) fixes
> lots of W=1 build warnings ... just wondering when it will progress?

FYI, I sent the fix to Linus earlier today.

Thanks,

Ingo

2014-07-16 13:22:54

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Ingo,

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:21:14 +0200 Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:

> FYI, I sent the fix to Linus earlier today.

Excellent, thanks.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

Attachments:
signature.asc (819.00 B)

2014-07-16 13:24:12

by Ingo Molnar

* Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:21:14 +0200 Ingo Molnar <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > FYI, I sent the fix to Linus earlier today.
>
> Excellent, thanks.

You are welcome!

Thanks,

Ingo