2017-12-17 11:02:23

by Wim Van Sebroeck

Subject: [GIT PULL REQUEST] watchdog - v4.15 Fixes

Hi Linus,

here are 4 fixes for the watchdog device drivers.
Please pull.

Kind regards,
Wim.

The following changes since commit f3b5ad89de16f5d42e8ad36fbdf85f705c1ae051:

Merge tag 'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma (2017-12-16 13:43:08 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

git://http://www.linux-watchdog.org/linux-watchdog.git

for you to fetch changes up to c42cbe41727a138905a28f8e0b00c147be77ee93:

watchdog: hpwdt: SMBIOS check (2017-12-17 11:01:49 +0100)

Guenter Roeck (2):
watchdog: Fix potential kref imbalance when opening watchdog
watchdog: Fix kref imbalance seen if handle_boot_enabled=0

Jerry Hoemann (1):
watchdog: hpwdt: SMBIOS check

Matt Redfearn (1):
watchdog: indydog: Add dependency on SGI_HAS_INDYDOG

drivers/watchdog/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/watchdog/hpwdt.c | 2 +-
drivers/watchdog/watchdog_dev.c | 17 +++++++++--------

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL REQUEST] watchdog - v4.15 Fixes

Once more, gmail hated you. No real indication why, apart from:

Why is this message in Spam? We've found that lots of messages from
iguana.be are spam.

I have no idea why that site is so hated, but one option that your
upstream ISP is some scumbag place that allows spammers and scammers
and thus the addresses end up being on some blacklist.

Also, all of these commits were committed less than an hour before
sending me the pull request, so I question the kind of testing they
got..

Linus

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:55 AM, Wim Van Sebroeck <[email protected]> wrote:

> here are 4 fixes for the watchdog device drivers.
>
> git://http://www.linux-watchdog.org/linux-watchdog.git

2017-12-17 20:32:44

by Guenter Roeck

On 12/17/2017 12:12 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Once more, gmail hated you. No real indication why, apart from:
>
> Why is this message in Spam? We've found that lots of messages from
> iguana.be are spam.
>
> I have no idea why that site is so hated, but one option that your
> upstream ISP is some scumbag place that allows spammers and scammers
> and thus the addresses end up being on some blacklist.
>
> Also, all of these commits were committed less than an hour before
> sending me the pull request, so I question the kind of testing they
> got..

The patches have been in -next for a while, only Wim moved them
into a different branch to be able to send you a pull request.

In -next:

8e1828d605df watchdog: hpwdt: SMBIOS check
ee11fc2b6e73 watchdog: indydog: Add dependency on SGI_HAS_INDYDOG
bff862153935 watchdog: Fix kref imbalance seen if handle_boot_enabled=0
01cd17d9fe08 watchdog: Fix potential kref imbalance when opening watchdog

You might as well blame me since I asked Wim to either send those patches
to you or to let me do it, and I would have pulled the patches from Wim's
watchdog-next repository (or from linux-next) as well.

Guenter

2017-12-17 21:20:20

by Linus Torvalds

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Linus Torvalds
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Also, all of these commits were committed less than an hour before
> sending me the pull request, so I question the kind of testing they
> got..

Oh, and equally importantly, it's an unsigned pull request from a
non-secured site, so I think I'll skip this.

Yes, yes, I've allowed these guys, and haven't really enforced it, but
the rule for the last year or so has been that if it's not something
where I have good reason to trust the repository integrity (ie
kernel.org), I require signed tags for pull requests.

I note that the watchdog pulls I have from Guenter _are_ signed (and
also from kernel.org). And I don't have Wim's key in my keyring at
all, so presumably they've never been signed, but can we please start
doing that? Git signed tags are pretty darn simple to use.

Linus

2017-12-25 17:10:06

by Wim Van Sebroeck

Hi Linus,

> Once more, gmail hated you. No real indication why, apart from:
>
> Why is this message in Spam? We've found that lots of messages from
> iguana.be are spam.
>
> I have no idea why that site is so hated, but one option that your
> upstream ISP is some scumbag place that allows spammers and scammers
> and thus the addresses end up being on some blacklist.
>
> Also, all of these commits were committed less than an hour before
> sending me the pull request, so I question the kind of testing they
> got..
>
> Linus
>
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 2:55 AM, Wim Van Sebroeck <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > here are 4 fixes for the watchdog device drivers.
> >
> > git://http://www.linux-watchdog.org/linux-watchdog.git

I saw your e-mail last monday and I could have reacted on it with including
the pull request of the last merge window that showed allready that these
patches were in for more then a day and that I rebased the tree because of
that pull request. I could also showed you that I did sign the tag that
you requested. But I didn't.

Instead I just want to wish you a Happy Christmas and a healthy 2018!

With kind regards and a lott of respect,
Wim.