2018-05-25 02:38:24

by Ramon Fried

Subject: uImage target support on arm64

Hi.
I've noticed that it's not supported.
Is it on purpose ?
If not I'll be happy to add support for: make uImage
for arm64 targets.

Warm regards,
Ramon.

2018-05-25 02:40:43

by Baruch Siach

Subject: Re: uImage target support on arm64

Hi Ramon,

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:05:15PM +0300, Ramon Fried wrote:
> I've noticed that it's not supported.
> Is it on purpose ?

Yes. The 32bit load address in the uImage header in pretty limited when
applied to 64bit ARM64. Even for ARM zImage is the preferred kernel format for
quite some time now, since it allows flexible load address, as well as
multi-platform kernels.

> If not I'll be happy to add support for: make uImage
> for arm64 targets.

baruch

--
http://baruch.siach.name/blog/ ~. .~ Tk Open Systems
- [email protected] - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -

2018-05-25 02:41:56

by Ramon Fried

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:34 PM, Baruch Siach <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Ramon,
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:05:15PM +0300, Ramon Fried wrote:
>> I've noticed that it's not supported.
>> Is it on purpose ?
>
> Yes. The 32bit load address in the uImage header in pretty limited when
> applied to 64bit ARM64. Even for ARM zImage is the preferred kernel format for
> quite some time now, since it allows flexible load address, as well as
> multi-platform kernels.
Hi Baruch.
I though that in terms of U-boot, the new FIT image is the preferred
kernel format.
Thanks,
Ramon.

>> If not I'll be happy to add support for: make uImage
>> for arm64 targets.
>
> baruch
>
> --
> http://baruch.siach.name/blog/ ~. .~ Tk Open Systems
> =}------------------------------------------------ooO--U--Ooo------------{=
> - [email protected] - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -

2018-05-25 02:44:28

by Russell King (Oracle)

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 11:17:19PM +0300, Ramon Fried wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:34 PM, Baruch Siach <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi Ramon,
> >
> > On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 10:05:15PM +0300, Ramon Fried wrote:
> >> I've noticed that it's not supported.
> >> Is it on purpose ?
> >
> > Yes. The 32bit load address in the uImage header in pretty limited when
> > applied to 64bit ARM64. Even for ARM zImage is the preferred kernel format for
> > quite some time now, since it allows flexible load address, as well as
> > multi-platform kernels.
> Hi Baruch.
> I though that in terms of U-boot, the new FIT image is the preferred
> kernel format.

u-boot keeps inventing new image formats for itself that are specific
to u-boot. Not every boot loader is u-boot.

For 32-bit ARM, zImage has _always_ since day one been the preferred
format.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 8.8Mbps down 630kbps up