2018-10-10 19:39:49

by Joel Fernandes

Subject: First coccinelle script, need some help.

Hi!

I am trying to determine if a function argument is used across the whole
kernel for a certain kernel function.

I mustered up enough courage to write my first coccinelle script after a few
late nights of reading up about it :)

Here is .cocci script. I am trying to find if address is used at all in any
possible definitions of pte_alloc():

$ cat ~/pte_alloc.cocci
virtual report

@pte_args depends on report@
identifier E1, E2;
type T1, T2;
position p;
@@

pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
{
(
E2
)
}

@script:python depends on report@
p << pte_args.p;
@@
coccilib.report.print_report(p[0], "WARNING: found definition of
apte_alloc_one with address used in the body")

The above warning does fire on the following test.c program:

struct page *pte_alloc(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address)
{
address++;
if (condition()) {
return NULL;
}
}

But, *not* if I move 'address' into the if block:

struct page *pte_alloc(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address)
{
if (condition()) {
address++;
return NULL;
}
}

I could not understand why, In my view the "address" expression should be
matched across the function body even within if blocks. But if I move
"address" into the if block, then the match doesn't occur any longer.

My coccicheck command is as follow:
make coccicheck COCCI=~/pte_alloc.cocci MODE=report M=test/test.c

What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

thanks,

- Joel

2018-10-10 20:24:08

by Julia Lawall

Subject: Re: First coccinelle script, need some help.

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Joel Fernandes wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to determine if a function argument is used across the whole
> kernel for a certain kernel function.
>
> I mustered up enough courage to write my first coccinelle script after a few
> late nights of reading up about it :)
>
> Here is .cocci script. I am trying to find if address is used at all in any
> possible definitions of pte_alloc():
>
> $ cat ~/pte_alloc.cocci
> virtual report
>
> @pte_args depends on report@
> identifier E1, E2;
> type T1, T2;
> position p;
> @@
>
> pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
> {
> (
> E2
> )
> }

In report mode, by default, the pattern has to match on all paths. Also
when you have ... before or after E2, there can be no occurrence of E2 in
the code matched by the ... So your rule requires that on every possible
execution path through the function, there is exactly one occurrence of
E2.

You can try the following instead:

virtual report

@pte_args depends on report exists@
identifier E1, E2;
type T1, T2;
position p;
@@

pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
{
... when any
E2
... when any
}

The exists in the rule header means check one path at a time. The when
any allows anything, including E2, to occur in the ... part. You could
also drop the first when any. The E2 will only match the first one, but
you don't care in this case.

julia

> @script:python depends on report@
> p << pte_args.p;
> @@
> coccilib.report.print_report(p[0], "WARNING: found definition of
> apte_alloc_one with address used in the body")
>
> The above warning does fire on the following test.c program:
>
> struct page *pte_alloc(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address)
> {
> address++;
> if (condition()) {
> return NULL;
> }
> }
>
> But, *not* if I move 'address' into the if block:
>
> struct page *pte_alloc(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address)
> {
> if (condition()) {
> address++;
> return NULL;
> }
> }
>
> I could not understand why, In my view the "address" expression should be
> matched across the function body even within if blocks. But if I move
> "address" into the if block, then the match doesn't occur any longer.
>
> My coccicheck command is as follow:
> make coccicheck COCCI=~/pte_alloc.cocci MODE=report M=test/test.c
>
> What am I missing? Thanks for any help.
>
> thanks,
>
> - Joel

2018-10-10 20:47:42

by Joel Fernandes

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:23:18PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Joel Fernandes wrote:
>

> > Hi!
> >
> > I am trying to determine if a function argument is used across the whole
> > kernel for a certain kernel function.
> >
> > I mustered up enough courage to write my first coccinelle script after a few
> > late nights of reading up about it :)
> >
> > Here is .cocci script. I am trying to find if address is used at all in any
> > possible definitions of pte_alloc():
> >
> > $ cat ~/pte_alloc.cocci
> > virtual report
> >
> > @pte_args depends on report@
> > identifier E1, E2;
> > type T1, T2;
> > position p;
> > @@
> >
> > pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
> > {
> > (
> > E2
> > )
> > }
>

> In report mode, by default, the pattern has to match on all paths. Also
> when you have ... before or after E2, there can be no occurrence of E2 in
> the code matched by the ... So your rule requires that on every possible
> execution path through the function, there is exactly one occurrence of
> E2.
>
> You can try the following instead:
>
> virtual report
>
> @pte_args depends on report exists@
> identifier E1, E2;
> type T1, T2;
> position p;
> @@
>
> pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
> {
> ... when any
> E2
> ... when any
> }

Thanks for the quick reply.
If I just add 'depends on report exists' to the rule, then my original
example works fine now. I did not need to add the 'when any'. Do you mind
taking my original simple test.c example and modify it and let me know under
what situation would it not work?

I even added address = 1 outside of the if block and it works fine, I see the
warning as I expect without 'when any' in pront of the "...".

struct page *pte_alloc(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address)
{
address = 1;
if (condition()) {
while (1) {
address++;
}
return NULL;
}
}
virtual report
-----
For your reference, I included the .cocci script below again. This time with
the 'depends on report exists' in the rule:

@pte_args depends on report exists@
identifier E1, E2;
type T1, T2;
position p;
@@

pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
{
E2
}

@script:python depends on report@
p << pte_args.p;
@@
coccilib.report.print_report(p[0], "WARNING: found definition of
pte_alloc_one with address used in the body")

2018-10-10 20:52:08

by Julia Lawall

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Joel Fernandes wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:23:18PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Joel Fernandes wrote:
> >

> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I am trying to determine if a function argument is used across the whole
> > > kernel for a certain kernel function.
> > >
> > > I mustered up enough courage to write my first coccinelle script after a few
> > > late nights of reading up about it :)
> > >
> > > Here is .cocci script. I am trying to find if address is used at all in any
> > > possible definitions of pte_alloc():
> > >
> > > $ cat ~/pte_alloc.cocci
> > > virtual report
> > >
> > > @pte_args depends on report@
> > > identifier E1, E2;
> > > type T1, T2;
> > > position p;
> > > @@
> > >
> > > pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
> > > {
> > > (
> > > E2
> > > )
> > > }
> >

> > In report mode, by default, the pattern has to match on all paths. Also
> > when you have ... before or after E2, there can be no occurrence of E2 in
> > the code matched by the ... So your rule requires that on every possible
> > execution path through the function, there is exactly one occurrence of
> > E2.
> >
> > You can try the following instead:
> >
> > virtual report
> >
> > @pte_args depends on report exists@
> > identifier E1, E2;
> > type T1, T2;
> > position p;
> > @@
> >
> > pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
> > {
> > ... when any
> > E2
> > ... when any
> > }
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.
> If I just add 'depends on report exists' to the rule, then my original
> example works fine now. I did not need to add the 'when any'. Do you mind
> taking my original simple test.c example and modify it and let me know under
> what situation would it not work?
>
> I even added address = 1 outside of the if block and it works fine, I see the
> warning as I expect without 'when any' in pront of the "...".
>
> struct page *pte_alloc(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address)
> {
> address = 1;
> if (condition()) {
> while (1) {
> address++;
> }
> return NULL;
> }
> }

This works, because there exists a path through the function that has only
one use of address, ie the path where condition() is false. It should
break if you put address = 2; just under address = 1, for example.

julia

2018-10-10 21:12:14

by Joel Fernandes

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:51:28PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Joel Fernandes wrote:

> > > In report mode, by default, the pattern has to match on all paths. Also
> > > when you have ... before or after E2, there can be no occurrence of E2 in
> > > the code matched by the ... So your rule requires that on every possible
> > > execution path through the function, there is exactly one occurrence of
> > > E2.
> > >
> > > You can try the following instead:
> > >
> > > virtual report
> > >
> > > @pte_args depends on report exists@
> > > identifier E1, E2;
> > > type T1, T2;
> > > position p;
> > > @@
> > >
> > > pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
> > > {
> > > ... when any
> > > E2
> > > ... when any
> > > }
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply.
> > If I just add 'depends on report exists' to the rule, then my original
> > example works fine now. I did not need to add the 'when any'. Do you mind
> > taking my original simple test.c example and modify it and let me know under
> > what situation would it not work?
> >
> > I even added address = 1 outside of the if block and it works fine, I see the
> > warning as I expect without 'when any' in pront of the "...".
> >
> > struct page *pte_alloc(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address)
> > {
> > address = 1;
> > if (condition()) {
> > while (1) {
> > address++;
> > }
> > return NULL;
> > }
> > }
>
> This works, because there exists a path through the function that has only
> one use of address, ie the path where condition() is false. It should
> break if you put address = 2; just under address = 1, for example.

Ok, thanks. This fact really is a bit subtle I'd say but hopefully will not
be once I get past the learning curve. Interestingly, if I do the following
then that works too without needing 'exists':

virtual report

@pte_args depends on report@
identifier E1, E2;
type T1, T2;
position p;
@@

pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
{
<+...
E2
...+>
}

@script:python depends on report@
p << pte_args.p;
@@
coccilib.report.print_report(p[0], "WARNING: found definition of pte_alloc with
address used in the body")

thanks,

- Joel

2018-10-10 21:13:13

by Julia Lawall

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Joel Fernandes wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:51:28PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:

> > > Thanks for the quick reply.
> > > If I just add 'depends on report exists' to the rule, then my original
> > > example works fine now. I did not need to add the 'when any'. Do you mind
> > > taking my original simple test.c example and modify it and let me know under
> > > what situation would it not work?
> > >
> > > I even added address = 1 outside of the if block and it works fine, I see the
> > > warning as I expect without 'when any' in pront of the "...".
> > >
> > > struct page *pte_alloc(struct mm_struct *mm, unsigned long address)
> > > {
> > > address = 1;
> > > if (condition()) {
> > > while (1) {
> > > address++;
> > > }
> > > return NULL;
> > > }
> > > }
> >
> > This works, because there exists a path through the function that has only
> > one use of address, ie the path where condition() is false. It should
> > break if you put address = 2; just under address = 1, for example.
> >
> Ok, thanks. This fact really is a bit subtle I'd say but hopefully will not
> be once I get past the learning curve. Interestingly, if I do the following
> then that works too without needing 'exists':
>
> virtual report
>
> @pte_args depends on report@
> identifier E1, E2;
> type T1, T2;
> position p;
> @@
>
> pte_alloc@p(T1 E1, T2 E2)
> {
> <+...
> E2
> ...+>
> }
>
> @script:python depends on report@
> p << pte_args.p;
> @@
> coccilib.report.print_report(p[0], "WARNING: found definition of pte_alloc with
> address used in the body")

Yes, that is another option. But it may be more expensive.

julia