2020-04-27 22:31:42

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the i2c tree

Hi all,

In commit

a66d0af81726 ("i2c: iproc: generate stop event for slave writes")

Fixes tag

Fixes: c245d94ed106 ("i2c: iproc: Add multi byte read-write support for slave mode")

has these problem(s):

- No SHA1 recognised

This triggered because the "space" after the ":" is a Unicode non-breaking
space (U+0x00a0, UTF8 0xc2 0xa0). I am not sure if this is a problem
or not. This is the forst time I have seen this.

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2020-04-28 07:03:36

by Wolfram Sang

> This triggered because the "space" after the ":" is a Unicode non-breaking
> space (U+0x00a0, UTF8 0xc2 0xa0). I am not sure if this is a problem
> or not. This is the forst time I have seen this.

Thanks for reporting, I obviously didn't notice. Well, technically,
commit messages can be UTF8, so not really an error. However, it will
probably break lots of homebrew scripts, so a checkpatch warning it is,
then?

I'll fix it nonetheless.

Attachments:
(No filename) (458.00 B)
signature.asc (849.00 B)

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Wolfram,

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 09:01:30 +0200 Wolfram Sang <[email protected]> wrote:

> > This triggered because the "space" after the ":" is a Unicode non-breaking
> > space (U+0x00a0, UTF8 0xc2 0xa0). I am not sure if this is a problem
> > or not. This is the forst time I have seen this.
>
> Thanks for reporting, I obviously didn't notice. Well, technically,
> commit messages can be UTF8, so not really an error. However, it will
> probably break lots of homebrew scripts, so a checkpatch warning it is,
> then?

Not checkpatch, but my own script that checks some things about Fixes
tags (attached). Interestingly, my script does allow some other Unicode
things (like matching quotes) ...

> I'll fix it nonetheless.

Thanks.

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (795.00 B)
check_fixes (4.10 kB)
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Wolfram Sang

> > Thanks for reporting, I obviously didn't notice. Well, technically,
> > commit messages can be UTF8, so not really an error. However, it will
> > probably break lots of homebrew scripts, so a checkpatch warning it is,
> > then?
>
> Not checkpatch, but my own script that checks some things about Fixes
> tags (attached). Interestingly, my script does allow some other Unicode
> things (like matching quotes) ...

I wondered if it makes sense to add a warning to checkpatch; but on
second thought, the tags may include UTF8 anyhow for proper author
names. So, maybe we should be generous in what we accept and simply
update our tooling?

Attachments:
(No filename) (659.00 B)
signature.asc (849.00 B)