2021-04-04 08:38:12

by Pratik R. Sampat

Subject: [RFC v3 0/2] CPU-Idle latency selftest framework

Changelog
RFC v2-->v3

Based on comments by Doug Smythies,
1. Changed commit log to reflect the test must be run as super user.
2. Added a comment specifying a method to run the test bash script
without recompiling.
3. Enable all the idle states after the experiments are completed so
that the system is in a coherent state after the tests have run
4. Correct the return status of a CPU that cannot be off-lined.

RFC v2: https://lkml.org/lkml/2021/4/1/615
---
A kernel module + userspace driver to estimate the wakeup latency
caused by going into stop states. The motivation behind this program is
to find significant deviations behind advertised latency and residency
values.

The patchset measures latencies for two kinds of events. IPIs and Timers
As this is a software-only mechanism, there will additional latencies of
the kernel-firmware-hardware interactions. To account for that, the
program also measures a baseline latency on a 100 percent loaded CPU
and the latencies achieved must be in view relative to that.

To achieve this, we introduce a kernel module and expose its control
knobs through the debugfs interface that the selftests can engage with.

The kernel module provides the following interfaces within
/sys/kernel/debug/latency_test/ for,

IPI test:
ipi_cpu_dest = Destination CPU for the IPI
ipi_cpu_src = Origin of the IPI
ipi_latency_ns = Measured latency time in ns
Timeout test:
timeout_cpu_src = CPU on which the timer to be queued
timeout_expected_ns = Timer duration
timeout_diff_ns = Difference of actual duration vs expected timer

Sample output on a POWER9 system is as follows:
# --IPI Latency Test---
# Baseline Average IPI latency(ns): 3114
# Observed Average IPI latency(ns) - State0: 3265
# Observed Average IPI latency(ns) - State1: 3507
# Observed Average IPI latency(ns) - State2: 3739
# Observed Average IPI latency(ns) - State3: 3807
# Observed Average IPI latency(ns) - State4: 17070
# Observed Average IPI latency(ns) - State5: 1038174
# Observed Average IPI latency(ns) - State6: 1068784
#
# --Timeout Latency Test--
# Baseline Average timeout diff(ns): 1420
# Observed Average timeout diff(ns) - State0: 1640
# Observed Average timeout diff(ns) - State1: 1764
# Observed Average timeout diff(ns) - State2: 1715
# Observed Average timeout diff(ns) - State3: 1845
# Observed Average timeout diff(ns) - State4: 16581
# Observed Average timeout diff(ns) - State5: 939977
# Observed Average timeout diff(ns) - State6: 1073024

Things to keep in mind:

1. This kernel module + bash driver does not guarantee idleness on a
core when the IPI and the Timer is armed. It only invokes sleep and
hopes that the core is idle once the IPI/Timer is invoked onto it.
Hence this program must be run on a completely idle system for best
results

2. Even on a completely idle system, there maybe book-keeping tasks or
jitter tasks that can run on the core we want idle. This can create
outliers in the latency measurement. Thankfully, these outliers
should be large enough to easily weed them out.

3. A userspace only selftest variant was also sent out as RFC based on
suggestions over the previous patchset to simply the kernel
complexeity. However, a userspace only approach had more noise in
the latency measurement due to userspace-kernel interactions
which led to run to run variance and a lesser accurate test.
Another downside of the nature of a userspace program is that it
takes orders of magnitude longer to complete a full system test
compared to the kernel framework.
RFC patch: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/9/2/356

4. For Intel Systems, the Timer based latencies don't exactly give out
the measure of idle latencies. This is because of a hardware
optimization mechanism that pre-arms a CPU when a timer is set to
wakeup. That doesn't make this metric useless for Intel systems,
it just means that is measuring IPI/Timer responding latency rather
than idle wakeup latencies.
(Source: https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/9/2/610)
For solution to this problem, a hardware based latency analyzer is
devised by Artem Bityutskiy from Intel.
https://youtu.be/Opk92aQyvt0?t=8266
https://intel.github.io/wult/

Pratik Rajesh Sampat (2):
cpuidle: Extract IPI based and timer based wakeup latency from idle
states
selftest/cpuidle: Add support for cpuidle latency measurement

drivers/cpuidle/Makefile | 1 +
drivers/cpuidle/test-cpuidle_latency.c | 157 ++++++++++
lib/Kconfig.debug | 10 +
tools/testing/selftests/Makefile | 1 +
tools/testing/selftests/cpuidle/Makefile | 6 +
tools/testing/selftests/cpuidle/cpuidle.sh | 326 +++++++++++++++++++++
tools/testing/selftests/cpuidle/settings | 2 +
7 files changed, 503 insertions(+)
create mode 100644 drivers/cpuidle/test-cpuidle_latency.c
create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/cpuidle/Makefile
create mode 100755 tools/testing/selftests/cpuidle/cpuidle.sh
create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/cpuidle/settings

--
2.17.1

2021-04-09 05:25:47

by Doug Smythies

Subject: Re: [RFC v3 0/2] CPU-Idle latency selftest framework

Hi Pratik,

I tried V3 on a Intel i5-10600K processor with 6 cores and 12 CPUs.
The core to cpu mappings are:
core 0 has cpus 0 and 6
core 1 has cpus 1 and 7
core 2 has cpus 2 and 8
core 3 has cpus 3 and 9
core 4 has cpus 4 and 10
core 5 has cpus 5 and 11

By default, it will test CPUs 0,2,4,6,10 on cores 0,2,4,0,2,4.
wouldn't it make more sense to test each core once?
With the source CPU always 0, I think the results from the results
from the destination CPUs 0 and 6, on core 0 bias the results, at
least in the deeper idle states. They don't make much difference in
the shallow states. Myself, I wouldn't include them in the results.
Example, where I used the -v option for all CPUs:

--IPI Latency Test---
--Baseline IPI Latency measurement: CPU Busy--
SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
Baseline Avg IPI latency(ns): 620 <<<< suggest 656 here
---Enabling state: 0---
SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
0 0 76
Expected IPI latency(ns): 0
Observed Avg IPI latency(ns) - State 0: 423 <<<<< suggest 456 here
---Enabling state: 1---
SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
Expected IPI latency(ns): 1000
Observed Avg IPI latency(ns) - State 1: 1009 <<<< suggest 1006 here
---Enabling state: 2---
SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
0 0 75
Expected IPI latency(ns): 120000
Observed Avg IPI latency(ns) - State 2: 14730 <<<< suggest 17447 here
---Enabling state: 3---
SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
Expected IPI latency(ns): 1034000
Observed Avg IPI latency(ns) - State 3: 14894 <<<< suggest 17645 here

Hope this helps.

... Doug

2021-04-09 07:46:52

by Pratik R. Sampat

Hello Doug,

On 09/04/21 10:53 am, Doug Smythies wrote:
> Hi Pratik,
>
> I tried V3 on a Intel i5-10600K processor with 6 cores and 12 CPUs.
> The core to cpu mappings are:
> core 0 has cpus 0 and 6
> core 1 has cpus 1 and 7
> core 2 has cpus 2 and 8
> core 3 has cpus 3 and 9
> core 4 has cpus 4 and 10
> core 5 has cpus 5 and 11
>
> By default, it will test CPUs 0,2,4,6,10 on cores 0,2,4,0,2,4.
> wouldn't it make more sense to test each core once?

Ideally it would be better to run on all the CPUs, however on larger systems
that I'm testing on with hundreds of cores and a high a thread count, the
execution time increases while not particularly bringing any additional
information to the table.

That is why it made sense only run on one of the threads of each core to make
the experiment faster while preserving accuracy.

To handle various thread topologies it maybe worthwhile if we parse
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/topology/thread_siblings_list for each core and
use this information to run only once per physical core, rather than
assuming the topology.

What are your thoughts on a mechanism like this?

> With the source CPU always 0, I think the results from the results
> from the destination CPUs 0 and 6, on core 0 bias the results, at
> least in the deeper idle states. They don't make much difference in
> the shallow states. Myself, I wouldn't include them in the results.

I agree, CPU0->CPU0 same core interaction is causing a bias. I could omit that
observation while computing the average.

In the verbose mode I'll omit all the threads of CPU0 and in the default
(quick) mode just CPU0's latency can be omitted while computing average.

Thank you,
Pratik

> Example, where I used the -v option for all CPUs:
>
> --IPI Latency Test---
> --Baseline IPI Latency measurement: CPU Busy--
> SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
> Baseline Avg IPI latency(ns): 620 <<<< suggest 656 here
> ---Enabling state: 0---
> SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
> 0 0 76
> Expected IPI latency(ns): 0
> Observed Avg IPI latency(ns) - State 0: 423 <<<<< suggest 456 here
> ---Enabling state: 1---
> SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
> Expected IPI latency(ns): 1000
> Observed Avg IPI latency(ns) - State 1: 1009 <<<< suggest 1006 here
> ---Enabling state: 2---
> SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
> 0 0 75
> Expected IPI latency(ns): 120000
> Observed Avg IPI latency(ns) - State 2: 14730 <<<< suggest 17447 here
> ---Enabling state: 3---
> SRC_CPU DEST_CPU IPI_Latency(ns)
> Expected IPI latency(ns): 1034000
> Observed Avg IPI latency(ns) - State 3: 14894 <<<< suggest 17645 here
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> ... Doug

2021-04-09 14:28:18

by Doug Smythies

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:43 AM Pratik Sampat <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 09/04/21 10:53 am, Doug Smythies wrote:
> > I tried V3 on a Intel i5-10600K processor with 6 cores and 12 CPUs.
> > The core to cpu mappings are:
> > core 0 has cpus 0 and 6
> > core 1 has cpus 1 and 7
> > core 2 has cpus 2 and 8
> > core 3 has cpus 3 and 9
> > core 4 has cpus 4 and 10
> > core 5 has cpus 5 and 11
> >
> > By default, it will test CPUs 0,2,4,6,10 on cores 0,2,4,0,2,4.
> > wouldn't it make more sense to test each core once?
>
> Ideally it would be better to run on all the CPUs, however on larger systems
> that I'm testing on with hundreds of cores and a high a thread count, the
> execution time increases while not particularly bringing any additional
> information to the table.
>
> That is why it made sense only run on one of the threads of each core to make
> the experiment faster while preserving accuracy.
>
> To handle various thread topologies it maybe worthwhile if we parse
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/topology/thread_siblings_list for each core and
> use this information to run only once per physical core, rather than
> assuming the topology.
>
> What are your thoughts on a mechanism like this?

Yes, seems like a good solution.

... Doug

2023-09-25 11:20:36

by Aboorva Devarajan