2022-08-01 15:48:30

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] dlm updates for 6.0

On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 7:43 AM David Teigland <[email protected]> wrote:

> (You can ignore the premature 5.20 pull request from some weeks ago.)

Gaah. That was the first thing I pulled this morning because it was
the earliest.

And apparently you've rebased, so I can't even just pull on top.

Gaah. Now I'll have to go back and re-do everything I've done this morning.

PLEASE don't do things like this to me. If you know you are going to
re-do a pull request, let me know early, so that I don't pull the old
one.

Linus

2022-08-01 15:55:59

by David Teigland

On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 08:46:24AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 7:43 AM David Teigland <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > (You can ignore the premature 5.20 pull request from some weeks ago.)
>
> Gaah. That was the first thing I pulled this morning because it was
> the earliest.
>
> And apparently you've rebased, so I can't even just pull on top.
>
> Gaah. Now I'll have to go back and re-do everything I've done this morning.
>
> PLEASE don't do things like this to me. If you know you are going to
> re-do a pull request, let me know early, so that I don't pull the old
> one.

Very sorry about that. (The obvious change there was updating the version
numbers in the deprecation messages to 6.2, and I should have just sent a
seprate patch to fix those up.)

Dave

2022-08-01 16:07:30

by David Teigland

On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 10:50:28AM -0500, David Teigland wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 08:46:24AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 7:43 AM David Teigland <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > (You can ignore the premature 5.20 pull request from some weeks ago.)
> >
> > Gaah. That was the first thing I pulled this morning because it was
> > the earliest.
> >
> > And apparently you've rebased, so I can't even just pull on top.
> >
> > Gaah. Now I'll have to go back and re-do everything I've done this morning.
> >
> > PLEASE don't do things like this to me. If you know you are going to
> > re-do a pull request, let me know early, so that I don't pull the old
> > one.
>
> Very sorry about that. (The obvious change there was updating the version
> numbers in the deprecation messages to 6.2, and I should have just sent a
> seprate patch to fix those up.)

At risk of compounding your trouble, I could have added that you can use
the original merge and have me send the fixup.

Dave

2022-08-01 16:19:36

by Linus Torvalds

On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 8:56 AM David Teigland <[email protected]> wrote:

> At risk of compounding your trouble, I could have added that you can use
> the original merge and have me send the fixup.

Well, I only had something like 4 other merges on top, none of them
*that* complicated.

And I hadn't pushed out, so I just redid them.

I did notice your "v2" pull request fairly quickly, because I try to
do my pulls (when I have lots of them, like at the beginning of the
merge window) in some kind of "order of areas", so I was doing
filesystem and vfs stuff, and your v2 ended up showing up in that
bunch too, and I hadn't done too much.

I doubt I would have needed help with the conflicts, but I decided to
not even look at them, because even with them resolved it would just
have been ugly to have that pointless duplication from the rebase when
I could just start from scratch again.

But again: please don't rebase stuff you have already exposed to
others. It causes real issues. This was just one example of it.

And if you *do* have to rebase for a real technical reason ("Oh, that
was a disaster, it absolutely *must* be fixed"), please let involved
people know asap.

And a version number change is not a "huge disaster, must rebase".

Linus

2022-08-01 17:09:09

by David Teigland

On Mon, Aug 01, 2022 at 09:17:30AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> But again: please don't rebase stuff you have already exposed to
> others. It causes real issues. This was just one example of it.
>
> And if you *do* have to rebase for a real technical reason ("Oh, that
> was a disaster, it absolutely *must* be fixed"), please let involved
> people know asap.
>
> And a version number change is not a "huge disaster, must rebase".

Yep, thanks for the comments. For some reason this escaped the usual flags
that should have gone off in my head about rebasing.

Dave