2022-09-18 23:21:37

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the mm tree

Hi all,

In commit

3a41f36f7083 ("selftests/vm: fix "add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing" for tmpfs")

Fixes tag

Fixes: 64b9fb1fa904 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")

has these problem(s):

- Subject does not match target commit subject
Just use
git log -1 --format='Fixes: %h ("%s")'

So

Fixes: 64b9fb1fa904 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse shmem testing")

or maybe

Fixes: 465c955b7343 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2022-09-19 15:02:31

by Zach O'Keefe

On Sep 19 08:21, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
> 3a41f36f7083 ("selftests/vm: fix "add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing" for tmpfs")
>
> Fixes tag
>
> Fixes: 64b9fb1fa904 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")
>
> has these problem(s):
>
> - Subject does not match target commit subject
> Just use
> git log -1 --format='Fixes: %h ("%s")'
>
> So
>
> Fixes: 64b9fb1fa904 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse shmem testing")
>
> or maybe
>
> Fixes: 465c955b7343 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell

Hey Stephen,

Apologies here. Yes, the correct Fixes tag should be, based off latest
mm-unstable,

Fixes: 8d88fef0b3d8 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")

Now, I'm quite confused as to has this happened as I've been generating
citations using something similar to the --format string you reference, but
perhaps this time I chose to do it manually and messed it up. Anyways, will
write something to catch these mistakes in the future.

Andrew, there are a few changes incoming to the "mm: add file/shmem support to
MADV_COLLAPSE" series based off recent reviews (including another patch with
a commit description change). Perhaps it's easier for me to send a new (v4)
series to mm-unstable to address these? Otherwise, I'm not sure how to
request these metadata changes.

Best,
Zach

2022-09-19 21:24:22

by Andrew Morton

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 07:47:51 -0700 "Zach O'Keefe" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Apologies here. Yes, the correct Fixes tag should be, based off latest
> mm-unstable,
>
> Fixes: 8d88fef0b3d8 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")
>
> Now, I'm quite confused as to has this happened as I've been generating
> citations using something similar to the --format string you reference, but
> perhaps this time I chose to do it manually and messed it up. Anyways, will
> write something to catch these mistakes in the future.

The hashes in mm-unstable change every day.

Doesn't matter, I'll queue fixes against mm-unstable's foo.patch as
foo-fix.patch and I'll squash foo-fix.patch into foo.patch before
moving f.patch into mm-stable.

> Andrew, there are a few changes incoming to the "mm: add file/shmem support to
> MADV_COLLAPSE" series based off recent reviews (including another patch with
> a commit description change). Perhaps it's easier for me to send a new (v4)
> series to mm-unstable to address these? Otherwise, I'm not sure how to
> request these metadata changes.

As described above, the metadata gets fixed at this end. mm-unstable
is called "unstable" for a reason ;)

But yes, I think a replacement series would be best in this case.

2022-09-21 18:55:50

by Zach O'Keefe

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 2:04 PM Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 07:47:51 -0700 "Zach O'Keefe" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Apologies here. Yes, the correct Fixes tag should be, based off latest
> > mm-unstable,
> >
> > Fixes: 8d88fef0b3d8 ("selftests/vm: add thp collapse file and tmpfs testing")
> >
> > Now, I'm quite confused as to has this happened as I've been generating
> > citations using something similar to the --format string you reference, but
> > perhaps this time I chose to do it manually and messed it up. Anyways, will
> > write something to catch these mistakes in the future.
>
> The hashes in mm-unstable change every day.
>
> Doesn't matter, I'll queue fixes against mm-unstable's foo.patch as
> foo-fix.patch and I'll squash foo-fix.patch into foo.patch before
> moving f.patch into mm-stable.

Roger that, thanks Andrew.

> > Andrew, there are a few changes incoming to the "mm: add file/shmem support to
> > MADV_COLLAPSE" series based off recent reviews (including another patch with
> > a commit description change). Perhaps it's easier for me to send a new (v4)
> > series to mm-unstable to address these? Otherwise, I'm not sure how to
> > request these metadata changes.
>
> As described above, the metadata gets fixed at this end. mm-unstable
> is called "unstable" for a reason ;)
>
> But yes, I think a replacement series would be best in this case.

Sounds good, and hopefully I will have that out later today.

Best, and thanks for your help here,
Zach