2023-05-12 23:24:39

by Sean Christopherson

Subject: [ANNOUNCE / RFC] Periodic Upstream Call for KVM

I am "officially" announcing a Periodic Upstream Call for KVM, a.k.a. PUCK.
The intent of the PUCK is to provide a vehicle for having "in-person" technical
discussions of features, designs, problems, etc. that are cumbersome to discuss
asynchronously on-list, e.g. because something is too complex, too large, etc.

Exact details are TBD, and obviously can be adapted as needed. Proposal:

Frequency: Weekly
Time: Wednesday, 6:00am Pacific Time
Duration: 60 minutes
Software: ???

My thinking for weekly versus fortnightly (every other week) is that we can always
cancel meetings if there are no agenda items, and bump down to fortnightly if we
are constantly canceling. On the flip side, if we go with fortnightly, it'd be
more difficult to clear the backlog if PUCK gets booked out multiple sessions, and
PUCK would be less useful for discussing urgent issues.

As for the time, 6am Pacific Time was the least awful (and still quite awful IMO)
time I could find that gives the majority of the community a reasonable chance of
attending. I know we have developers in at least the below time zones (and probably
more, though I don't think anyone works from Hawaii, and if someone does work from
Hawaii then they have nothing to complain about :-) ).

PT (6am)
MT (7am)
CT (8am)
ET (9am)
WET (2pm)
CET (3pm)
EET (4pm)
EST (5pm)
CST (9pm)
NZST (1am)

The obvious alternative would be to invert the schedule and have the sync be in
the evening/night for Pacific Time, but to get 6am for ARM folks, we end up with:

PT (10pm)
MT (11pm)
CT (12pm)
ET (1am)
WET (6am)
CET (7am)
EET (8am)
EST (9am)
CST (1pm)
NZST (5pm)

which is quite unreasonable for pretty much everyone based in the US. Earlier
than 6am for WET is likewise unreasonable and will result in people not attending.
9pm for China is also unreasonable, but I hope that it's not completely ridiculous
and is doable enough that people can at least attend on an as-needed basis. Sorry
Kai, as the sole representative from New Zealand, you get hosed :-(

Wednesday because holidays and (short) vacations most often land at the beginning
and end of the week.

60 minutes because I'm not waking up at dawn for anything less, and anything
more will likely have dimishing returns, especially for folks on the edges of
the time zone table.

Lastly, the big unknown is which video communication software to use. My default
is obviously Google Meet, but I've been told that Meet is unusable in some
countries. :-/ My only requirements (beyond basic, obvious functionality) are
that (a) there's a web interface (no install required) and that (b) the calls can
be recorded.

To kick things off, I am leaning toward a "launch" date of May 24th (Pacific),
with KVM guest private mem (a.k.a. UPM) as the first topic.

Please chime in with thoughts and ideas!

P.S. This is an open invite, feel free to forward at will. The Cc list is by no
means intended to be definitive.

2023-05-18 19:59:59

by Michael Roth

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE / RFC] Periodic Upstream Call for KVM

On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 04:10:27PM -0700, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> [...]
> Kai, as the sole representative from New Zealand, you get hosed :-(
>
> Wednesday because holidays and (short) vacations most often land at the beginning
> and end of the week.
>
> 60 minutes because I'm not waking up at dawn for anything less, and anything
> more will likely have dimishing returns, especially for folks on the edges of
> the time zone table.
>
> Lastly, the big unknown is which video communication software to use. My default
> is obviously Google Meet, but I've been told that Meet is unusable in some
> countries. :-/ My only requirements (beyond basic, obvious functionality) are
> that (a) there's a web interface (no install required) and that (b) the calls can
> be recorded.
>
> To kick things off, I am leaning toward a "launch" date of May 24th (Pacific),
> with KVM guest private mem (a.k.a. UPM) as the first topic.

Hi Sean,

Seems like a great idea to me.

We have a number of people at AMD interested in joining for the UPM topic. Is
the proposed 6am Pacific slot still the plan? No objections to using Google
Meet on our end.

-Mike

> Please chime in with thoughts and ideas!
>

> P.S. This is an open invite, feel free to forward at will. The Cc list is by no
> means intended to be definitive.

2023-05-22 07:46:44

by Chao Peng

On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 04:10:27PM -0700, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> I am "officially" announcing a Periodic Upstream Call for KVM, a.k.a. PUCK.
> The intent of the PUCK is to provide a vehicle for having "in-person" technical
> discussions of features, designs, problems, etc. that are cumbersome to discuss
> asynchronously on-list, e.g. because something is too complex, too large, etc.

Yes, although on-list discussion is still the primary channel, a call is
a nice supplement for all relevant people on a large, complex topic to
achieve quick alignment. For people not able to attend the call, the
meeting recordings/minutes can be posted for them.

> Exact details are TBD, and obviously can be adapted as needed. Proposal:
>
> Frequency: Weekly
> Time: Wednesday, 6:00am Pacific Time
> Duration: 60 minutes
> Software: ???
>
> My thinking for weekly versus fortnightly (every other week) is that we can always
> cancel meetings if there are no agenda items, and bump down to fortnightly if we
> are constantly canceling. On the flip side, if we go with fortnightly, it'd be
> more difficult to clear the backlog if PUCK gets booked out multiple sessions, and
> PUCK would be less useful for discussing urgent issues.
>
> As for the time, 6am Pacific Time was the least awful (and still quite awful IMO)
> time I could find that gives the majority of the community a reasonable chance of
> attending. I know we have developers in at least the below time zones (and probably
> more, though I don't think anyone works from Hawaii, and if someone does work from
> Hawaii then they have nothing to complain about :-) ).
>
> PT (6am)
> MT (7am)
> CT (8am)
> ET (9am)
> WET (2pm)
> CET (3pm)
> EET (4pm)
> EST (5pm)
> CST (9pm)
> NZST (1am)

This looks good, 9pm is not too late for PRC people.

> The obvious alternative would be to invert the schedule and have the sync be in
> the evening/night for Pacific Time, but to get 6am for ARM folks, we end up with:
>
> PT (10pm)
> MT (11pm)
> CT (12pm)
> ET (1am)
> WET (6am)
> CET (7am)
> EET (8am)
> EST (9am)
> CST (1pm)
> NZST (5pm)
>
> which is quite unreasonable for pretty much everyone based in the US. Earlier
> than 6am for WET is likewise unreasonable and will result in people not attending.
> 9pm for China is also unreasonable, but I hope that it's not completely ridiculous
> and is doable enough that people can at least attend on an as-needed basis. Sorry
> Kai, as the sole representative from New Zealand, you get hosed :-(
>
> Wednesday because holidays and (short) vacations most often land at the beginning
> and end of the week.
>
> 60 minutes because I'm not waking up at dawn for anything less, and anything
> more will likely have dimishing returns, especially for folks on the edges of
> the time zone table.
>
> Lastly, the big unknown is which video communication software to use. My default
> is obviously Google Meet, but I've been told that Meet is unusable in some
> countries. :-/ My only requirements (beyond basic, obvious functionality) are
> that (a) there's a web interface (no install required) and that (b) the calls can
> be recorded.

Google Meet should work for me, but may not for every (PRC) people.
Besides no installation, if no registration would be even better ;)
Maybe we can run with Google Meet for the first session(s) if you
havn't get one in your mind, it's not too hard to switch to alternative
at a later time right?

> To kick things off, I am leaning toward a "launch" date of May 24th (Pacific),
> with KVM guest private mem (a.k.a. UPM) as the first topic.

Thanks for driving this, yes for UPM I would definitely join.

Chao

> Please chime in with thoughts and ideas!
>

> P.S. This is an open invite, feel free to forward at will. The Cc list is by no
> means intended to be definitive.

2023-05-23 00:43:06

by Sean Christopherson

On Mon, May 22, 2023, Chao Peng wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 04:10:27PM -0700, Sean Christopherson wrote:
> > PT (6am)
> > MT (7am)
> > CT (8am)
> > ET (9am)
> > WET (2pm)
> > CET (3pm)
> > EET (4pm)
> > EST (5pm)
> > CST (9pm)
> > NZST (1am)
>
> This looks good, 9pm is not too late for PRC people.
>

> > The obvious alternative would be to invert the schedule and have the sync be in
> > the evening/night for Pacific Time, but to get 6am for ARM folks, we end up with:
> >
> > PT (10pm)
> > MT (11pm)
> > CT (12pm)
> > ET (1am)
> > WET (6am)
> > CET (7am)
> > EET (8am)
> > EST (9am)
> > CST (1pm)
> > NZST (5pm)
> >
> > which is quite unreasonable for pretty much everyone based in the US. Earlier
> > than 6am for WET is likewise unreasonable and will result in people not attending.
> > 9pm for China is also unreasonable, but I hope that it's not completely ridiculous
> > and is doable enough that people can at least attend on an as-needed basis. Sorry
> > Kai, as the sole representative from New Zealand, you get hosed :-(
> >
> > Wednesday because holidays and (short) vacations most often land at the beginning
> > and end of the week.
> >
> > 60 minutes because I'm not waking up at dawn for anything less, and anything
> > more will likely have dimishing returns, especially for folks on the edges of
> > the time zone table.
> >
> > Lastly, the big unknown is which video communication software to use. My default
> > is obviously Google Meet, but I've been told that Meet is unusable in some
> > countries. :-/ My only requirements (beyond basic, obvious functionality) are
> > that (a) there's a web interface (no install required) and that (b) the calls can
> > be recorded.
>
> Google Meet should work for me, but may not for every (PRC) people.
> Besides no installation, if no registration would be even better ;)
> Maybe we can run with Google Meet for the first session(s) if you
> havn't get one in your mind, it's not too hard to switch to alternative
> at a later time right?

Ya, switching should be no problem. Let's try Google Meet and go from there.
Thanks much for the input!

> > To kick things off, I am leaning toward a "launch" date of May 24th (Pacific),
> > with KVM guest private mem (a.k.a. UPM) as the first topic.
>
> Thanks for driving this, yes for UPM I would definitely join.

I'm going to push out the inagaural date one week until May 31st, partly to give
more time for this to get widely disseminated, but mostly because I need to write
down my various thoughts on where to go with UPM, and I don't think I'll get that
done before Wednesday. That'll also give me time to setup a public calendar so
that people can get reminders and whatnot.

2023-05-23 03:00:05

by Chao Peng

> > > To kick things off, I am leaning toward a "launch" date of May 24th (Pacific),
> > > with KVM guest private mem (a.k.a. UPM) as the first topic.
> >
> > Thanks for driving this, yes for UPM I would definitely join.
>
> I'm going to push out the inagaural date one week until May 31st, partly to give
> more time for this to get widely disseminated, but mostly because I need to write
> down my various thoughts on where to go with UPM, and I don't think I'll get that
> done before Wednesday. That'll also give me time to setup a public calendar so
> that people can get reminders and whatnot.

That looks good to me.

Chao