2024-01-30 11:24:12

by Cyril Hrubis

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] The Linux Test Project has been released for JANUARY 2024

Good news everyone,

the Linux Test Project test suite stable release for *January 2024* has been
released.

Since the last release 315 patches by 34 authors were merged.

Patch review is what most of the projects struggle with and LTP is no
different. If you can spare some effort helping with the patch review is more
than welcomed.

NOTABLE CHANGES
===============

* New tests
- splice07, accept03, readahead01:

Tests that feeds the syscall all kinds of invalid file descriptors and
checks that the syscall fails properly.

- proc_sched_rt01 a regression test for:

c1fc6484e1fb ("sched/rt: sysctl_sched_rr_timeslice show default timeslice after reset")
079be8fc6309 ("sched/rt: Disallow writing invalid values to sched_rt_period_us")

- ksm07 a test for KSM smart-scan.

- pathconf02 negative testcases for pathconf()

- pipe15 A regresson test for:

46c4c9d1beb7 ("pipe: increase minimum default pipe size to 2 pages")

- nft02 A regression test for:

515ad530795c ("netfilter: nf_tables: do not ignore genmask when looking up chain by id") aka CVE-2023-31248

- sched_setscheduler04 a test for SCHED_RESET_ON_FORK

- setsockopt10 2c02d41d71f9 ("net/ulp: prevent ULP without clone op from entering the LISTEN status") aka CVE-2023-0461

- gettid02 A basic gettid02 test.

- splice06 A test that splicing from a /proc files works.

* Increased coverage

- ioctl02 cover more modern termios ioctls() as well.

- fanotify13 More test coverage for overlayfs.

- input* test now check UI_GET_NAME ioctl() too.

* Removed tests

- fork12 Which was a naive fork bomb test, we do have other tests
(setrlimit01.c, ...) that better cover this scenario.

- mongo test framework

Which was test reiser, ext2 and jfs unmaintained for a decade.

- simple_tracer.c Tracing test from 2009 that does not compile anymore.

- runtest/fsx-linux This is consolidation of runtest files, since these test
duplicated in ltp-aiodio.part3.

- testscripts/autofs{1,4}.sh, testscripts/sysfs.sh,
testscripts/ltp-scsi_debug.sh, testscripts/ltpdmmapper.sh

These were unmaintained and unused scripts.

- scsi/* A testsuite with a custom kernel module for kernel 2.5 that didn't
compile cleanly for decades.

- load_stress_all_kernel_modules.sh Broken for quite some time.

* The LTP library now has a functions to iterate over different
file descriptors. That allows us to easily implement more comprehensive tests
that feed various syscalls all possible file descriptors and check that the
syscall fails properly with invalid combinations. Most notable use of this
library is the newly introduced splice07.c test.

* The minimal size of the device for a few filesystem tests was increased to
1GB because modern filesystems, most notably Btrfs does not work properly on
smaller devices.

* LTP now tests bcachefs if kernel support and bcache.mkfs is present

* 30 testcases were converted to the new test library

+ The usual amount of fixes and cleanups

NOTABLE CHANGES IN NETWORK TESTS
================================
brought to you by Petr Vorel

The performance tests in net.features can be now skipped by setting
LTP_NET_FEATURES_IGNORE_PERFORMANCE_FAILURE=1 which is useful when testing is
executed on VMs on a overloaded host or if we are running tests with a
background load.

KIRK (previously RUNLTP-NG)
===========================

Kirk was updated to v1.2

This version brings the following updates:

- show both stdout and stderr when executing tests on host
- support for external commands on different SUTs
- warning message when SUT doesn't support parallel execution
- more stable epoll() communication with LTX
- minor fixes
- updated documentation

DOWNLOAD AND LINKS
==================

The latest version of the test-suite contains 3000+ tests for the Linux
and can be downloaded at:

https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/releases/tag/20240129

The project pages as well as GIT repository are hosted on GitHub:

https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp
http://linux-test-project.github.io/

If you ever wondered how to write a LTP testcase, don't miss our developer
documentation at:

https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/wiki/Test-Writing-Guidelines

https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/wiki/C-Test-API

https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/wiki/C-Test-Network-API

https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/wiki/Shell-Test-API

https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/wiki/C-Test-Case-Tutorial

https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/wiki/Build-System

Patches, new tests, bugs, comments or questions should go to to our mailing
list at [email protected].

CREDITS
=======

Many thanks to the people contributing to this release:

git shortlog -s -e -n 20230929..

147 Petr Vorel <[email protected]>
25 Yang Xu <[email protected]>
21 Andrea Cervesato <[email protected]>
18 Martin Doucha <[email protected]>
12 Cyril Hrubis <[email protected]>
11 Marius Kittler <[email protected]>
8 Wei Gao <[email protected]>
7 Amir Goldstein <[email protected]>
7 Richard Palethorpe <[email protected]>
6 Avinesh Kumar <[email protected]>
6 Edward Liaw <[email protected]>
6 Jan Kara <[email protected]>
5 Jan Stancek <[email protected]>
4 Hongchen Zhang <[email protected]>
4 Kevin Brodsky <[email protected]>
4 Xiao Yang <[email protected]>
3 Shiyang Ruan <[email protected]>
2 Li Wang <[email protected]>
2 Li Zhijian <[email protected]>
2 Pengfei Xu <[email protected]>
2 Stefan Roesch <[email protected]>
1 Alexander Kanavin <[email protected]>
1 Brennan Ashton <[email protected]>
1 Korobeynikov Gleb <[email protected]>
1 Marcos Paulo de Souza <[email protected]>
1 Mengchi Cheng <[email protected]>
1 Murphy Zhou <[email protected]>
1 Shizhao Chen <[email protected]>
1 Shoukui Zhang <[email protected]>
1 Subramanya Swamy <[email protected]>
1 haopengxiang <[email protected]>
1 nietingting <[email protected]>
1 wangxuewen <[email protected]>
1 ybonatakis <[email protected]>

And also thanks to patch reviewers:

git log 20230929.. | grep -Ei '(reviewed|acked)-by:' | sed 's/.*by: //' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -r

111 Petr Vorel <[email protected]>
70 Cyril Hrubis <[email protected]>
47 Li Wang <[email protected]>
35 Richard Palethorpe <[email protected]>
14 Martin Doucha <[email protected]>
8 Amir Goldstein <[email protected]>
7 Xiao Yang <[email protected]>
7 Marius Kittler <[email protected]>
6 Jan Kara <[email protected]>
4 Avinesh Kumar <[email protected]>
3 Andrea Cervesato <[email protected]>
3 Jan Stancek <[email protected]>
2 Yang Xu <[email protected]>
1 Petr Vorel <[email protected]>
1 Christian Brauner <[email protected]>
--
Cyril Hrubis

by Petr Vorel

Hi all,

> Good news everyone,

> the Linux Test Project test suite stable release for *January 2024* has been
> released.

> Since the last release 315 patches by 34 authors were merged.

> Patch review is what most of the projects struggle with and LTP is no
> different. If you can spare some effort helping with the patch review is more
> than welcomed.

> NOTABLE CHANGES
> ===============

FYI, there is missing removal of runtest/connectors [1], which can break some
tooling.

Kind regards,
Petr

[1] https://github.com/linux-test-project/ltp/commit/9b642d89c0bcf5885b051c2d5768fa94b61d86cb

> [...]

> 2 Pengfei Xu <[email protected]>
> 2 Stefan Roesch <[email protected]>
> 1 Alexander Kanavin <[email protected]>
> 1 Brennan Ashton <[email protected]>
> 1 Korobeynikov Gleb <[email protected]>
> 1 Marcos Paulo de Souza <[email protected]>
> 1 Mengchi Cheng <[email protected]>
> 1 Murphy Zhou <[email protected]>
> 1 Shizhao Chen <[email protected]>
> 1 Shoukui Zhang <[email protected]>
> 1 Subramanya Swamy <[email protected]>
> 1 haopengxiang <[email protected]>
> 1 nietingting <[email protected]>
> 1 wangxuewen <[email protected]>
> 1 ybonatakis <[email protected]>

> And also thanks to patch reviewers:

> git log 20230929.. | grep -Ei '(reviewed|acked)-by:' | sed 's/.*by: //' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -r

> 111 Petr Vorel <[email protected]>
> 70 Cyril Hrubis <[email protected]>
> 47 Li Wang <[email protected]>
> 35 Richard Palethorpe <[email protected]>

2024-02-05 11:05:35

by Petr Vorel

Hi all,

> Hi all,

> > Good news everyone,

> > the Linux Test Project test suite stable release for *January 2024* has been
> > released.

> > Since the last release 315 patches by 34 authors were merged.

> > Patch review is what most of the projects struggle with and LTP is no
> > different. If you can spare some effort helping with the patch review is more
> > than welcomed.

> > NOTABLE CHANGES
> > ===============

> FYI, there is missing removal of runtest/connectors [1], which can break some
> tooling.

And we removed also runtest/fsx [2] in this release.

Kind regards,
Petr

> Kind regards,
> Petr