2024-02-29 18:46:49

by Saalim Quadri

Subject: GSoC Proposal 2024

Hi everyone, I am Saalim Quadri an undergrad student at Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, pursuing Electronics and Communications.
I wish to participate in the GSoC 2024 as a part of the Linux Foundation, IIO Project.

I have been contributing to the Linux Kernel and have more than 10 accepted patches.

I started looking into https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2024-gsoc-iio-driver and Analog Devices Inc. and I am interested in writing
the driver for AD7294-2 12-bit control system with ADC, DACs, temperature sensor, and current sense.

In that sense, I would like to know if anyone in the IIO community could provide with some suggestions, I can get started with.
Any suggestion or hint is appreciated!

Sincerely,
Saalim Quadri

2024-03-03 18:38:11

by Jonathan Cameron

Subject: Re: GSoC Proposal 2024

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 00:16:36 +0530
Saalim Quadri <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi everyone, I am Saalim Quadri an undergrad student at Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, pursuing Electronics and Communications.
> I wish to participate in the GSoC 2024 as a part of the Linux Foundation, IIO Project.
>
> I have been contributing to the Linux Kernel and have more than 10 accepted patches.
>
> I started looking into https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/gsoc/2024-gsoc-iio-driver and Analog Devices Inc. and I am interested in writing
> the driver for AD7294-2 12-bit control system with ADC, DACs, temperature sensor, and current sense.
>
> In that sense, I would like to know if anyone in the IIO community could provide with some suggestions, I can get started with.
> Any suggestion or hint is appreciated!
>
> Sincerely,
> Saalim Quadri

Hi Saalim,

Interestingly (you may be aware) you aren't the first to propose that part.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/YlXR0d7waKW9xncd@fedora/

There was some discussion back then but it was brief!

It seems like a sensible part to look at. It has a broad range of different
features but from a quick glance at the datasheet nothing too unusual - which is
good because we won't get stuck discussing the userspace interface for too long.

Make a plan to build up functionality of your driver over the course of the project
with each step adding something significant and new. Allow for reviewer time (up
to 2 weeks at worst - it is the summer so people go on holiday etc), but try
to build a plan where you other elements to work on in parallel with waiting
for feedback.

Obviously sticking points like device availability and interest from the mentors
are important inputs on the decision though.

Good luck!

Jonathan