2024-03-11 19:37:59

by David Sterba

Subject: [GIT PULL] AFFS update for 6.9

Hi,

please pull one change to AFFS that removes use of SLAB_MEM_SPREAD,
which is going to be removed from MM code. Thanks.

The following changes since commit d206a76d7d2726f3b096037f2079ce0bd3ba329b:

Linux 6.8-rc6 (2024-02-25 15:46:06 -0800)

are available in the Git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kdave/linux.git tags/affs-for-6.9

for you to fetch changes up to f7c79a40b575f2b6c156c8bee9a652401bf715b6:

affs: remove SLAB_MEM_SPREAD flag usage (2024-02-26 11:36:28 +0100)

affs-for-6.9

Chengming Zhou (1):
affs: remove SLAB_MEM_SPREAD flag usage

fs/affs/super.c | 3 +--
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 2 deletions(-)

2024-03-12 20:03:19

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] AFFS update for 6.9

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 at 12:37, David Sterba <[email protected]> wrote:

> please pull one change to AFFS that removes use of SLAB_MEM_SPREAD,
> which is going to be removed from MM code.

I've pulled this, but I don't really see the point in removing these
one by one like this.

SLAB_MEM_SPREAD is already a no-op, the MM people could just do a
coccinelle thing to remove it everywhere.

I think you could do 90% even just using a few variations of 'sed', eg
variations on

git grep -l 'SLAB_MEM_SPREAD' |
xargs sed -i 's/SLAB_MEM_SPREAD *|//'

git grep -l 'SLAB_MEM_SPREAD' |
xargs sed -i 's/| *SLAB_MEM_SPREAD//'

and then some manual fixups for (a) whitespace cleanup of the result
and (b) the couple of cases where it wasn't a bitwise or into other
fields (or where the bitwise or was on a different line)

And then you'd end up with something like the attached.

Linus

Attachments:
patch.diff (23.22 kB)

2024-03-12 21:30:25

by David Sterba

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 01:02:47PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 at 12:37, David Sterba <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > please pull one change to AFFS that removes use of SLAB_MEM_SPREAD,
> > which is going to be removed from MM code.
>
> I've pulled this, but I don't really see the point in removing these
> one by one like this.
>
> SLAB_MEM_SPREAD is already a no-op, the MM people could just do a
> coccinelle thing to remove it everywhere.

That's of course valid and was also suggested as an option. However I
would prefer to let actively maintained code pick the patches first
and then do the rest as sed or coccinelle script. This usually leaves
whitespace damage behind and not everybody takes the care to fix it
manually.

I agree that for AFFS it's a bit too much for just one change but I did
not realize that as I happened to do the same change for btrfs.

> I think you could do 90% even just using a few variations of 'sed', eg
> variations on
>
> git grep -l 'SLAB_MEM_SPREAD' |
> xargs sed -i 's/SLAB_MEM_SPREAD *|//'
>
> git grep -l 'SLAB_MEM_SPREAD' |
> xargs sed -i 's/| *SLAB_MEM_SPREAD//'
>
> and then some manual fixups for (a) whitespace cleanup of the result
> and (b) the couple of cases where it wasn't a bitwise or into other
> fields (or where the bitwise or was on a different line)
>
> And then you'd end up with something like the attached.

I don't know if MM people have such change queued but you could apply
the diff at the end of 6.9, the formatting seems OK.

2024-03-12 22:28:59

by pr-tracker-bot

The pull request you sent on Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:30:38 +0100:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kdave/linux.git tags/affs-for-6.9

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/cbcb9b5bc9804c2e803f00a460c212f9a0bbdb0d

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.