2003-01-28 22:42:21

by Stephen Hemminger

Subject: 2.5.59-dcl2

Update to the OSDL DCL patch set.

The OSDL common includes RAS related enhancements, bugfixes, and
latest version of drivers for the OSDL server test machines.
Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
Linux Kernel Crash Dump (LKCD) (Matt Robinson, LKCD team)
Kernel Probes (kprobes) (Rusty Russell)
Megaraid 2 driver (Matt Domsch)
DAC960 driver (Dave Olien)

The goal is to make these projects more robust and resolve potential
overlaps. Also this set keeps up to date with the latest version of
drivers for the disk devices that are present on the OSDL test
machines.

The DCL-only patch contains performance and tuning related
enhancements. The goal is to use these for database performance
tuning and give these projects more testing.

2.5.59-osdl2:
. Dac960 error retry (Dave Olien)

2.5.59-dcl2:
. Lost timer tick compensation (John Stultz)
. Improved boot time TSC synchronization (Jim Houston)
. Lockless gettimeofday (Andi Kleen, me)
. Performance monitoring counters for x86 (Mikael Pettersson)

2.5.59-osdl1:
. Bug fix for vmlinux.ld.S (Kai Germaschewski)
. Update to LKCD for multiple schemes (Bharata B Rao)
. Bug fixes for LKCD locking (me)
. Improved i386 fatal event notifiers (me)
. Kprobe using notify_die (me)

2.5.59-dcl1:
. RCU statistics (Dipankar Sarma)
. Scheduler tunables (Robert Love)

The latest release is available in downloadable patches from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osdldcl

or public BitKeeper repositories
Common code: bk://bk.osdl.org/linux-2.5-osdl
Common code + CGL: bk://bk.osdl.org/linux-2.5-cgl
Common code + DCL: bk://bk.osdl.org/linux-2.5-dcl

Getting Involved

Developers are encouraged to send any enhancements or bug fix
patches. Patches should be tested by using the OSDL Scalable Test
Platform (STP) and Patch Lifecycle Manager (PLM) facilities.

Project information:
http://www.osdl.org/projects/dcl/
http://osdldcl.sourceforge.net
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osdldcl

2003-01-28 23:00:49

by Christoph Hellwig

Subject: Re: 2.5.59-dcl2

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:51:38PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Megaraid 2 driver (Matt Domsch)
> DAC960 driver (Dave Olien)

Is there a reason these aren't submitted to Linus?

2003-01-28 23:07:49

by Matt Domsch

> > Megaraid 2 driver (Matt Domsch)
> Is there a reason these aren't submitted to Linus?

Just timing on this one. It's been in Stephen's tree for a while, and in
2.5.50-ac. I've not heard of negative feedback, nor really any positive
feedback either. I'll be happy to submit this.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Dell Linux Solutions http://www.dell.com/linux

by Alan

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 23:10, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:51:38PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > Megaraid 2 driver (Matt Domsch)
> > DAC960 driver (Dave Olien)
>
> Is there a reason these aren't submitted to Linus?

Wrong question 8) You need to ask Linus why he didnt take them

2003-01-28 23:15:08

by Stephen Hemminger

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 15:10, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:51:38PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > Megaraid 2 driver (Matt Domsch)
> > DAC960 driver (Dave Olien)
>
> Is there a reason these aren't submitted to Linus?

There in process, just don't know where.
Dave has submitted he DAC960 driver several times;
the version in 2.5.59 is only one rev behind.

I don't know the status of the Megaraid 2 driver.
If you are interested check the megaraid mailing
list.

2003-01-28 23:57:43

by Stephen Hemminger

Missed one item in the credits.

Also, added the Nick Piggin's anticipaatory i/o scheduler (via -mm5)
to 2.5.59-dcl2 to evaluate the performance impact under different loads.

> 2.5.59-osdl2:
> . Dac960 error retry (Dave Olien)
>
> 2.5.59-dcl2:
> . Lost timer tick compensation (John Stultz)
> . Improved boot time TSC synchronization (Jim Houston)
> . Lockless gettimeofday (Andi Kleen, me)
> . Performance monitoring counters for x86 (Mikael Pettersson)
>
> 2.5.59-osdl1:
> . Bug fix for vmlinux.ld.S (Kai Germaschewski)
> . Update to LKCD for multiple schemes (Bharata B Rao)
> . Bug fixes for LKCD locking (me)
> . Improved i386 fatal event notifiers (me)
> . Kprobe using notify_die (me)
>
> 2.5.59-dcl1:
> . RCU statistics (Dipankar Sarma)
> . Scheduler tunables (Robert Love)

2003-01-29 00:08:39

by Andrew Morton

Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> Missed one item in the credits.
>
> Also, added the Nick Piggin's anticipaatory i/o scheduler (via -mm5)
> to 2.5.59-dcl2 to evaluate the performance impact under different loads.

It caused regression in David Mansfield's database test. That was
recovered in -mm6.

2003-01-29 12:26:27

by Andi Kleen

Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]> writes:

> > . Lockless gettimeofday (Andi Kleen, me)

The original algorithm actually came from Andrea Arcangeli,
I just ported it from vsyscalls to do_gettimeofday.

> > . Performance monitoring counters for x86 (Mikael Pettersson)

Isn't that slightly redundant with oprofile?
They have different capabilities, but there is still much overlap.

-Andi

2003-01-29 12:45:42

by Mikael Pettersson

Andi Kleen writes:
> Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > > . Lockless gettimeofday (Andi Kleen, me)
>
> The original algorithm actually came from Andrea Arcangeli,
> I just ported it from vsyscalls to do_gettimeofday.
>
> > > . Performance monitoring counters for x86 (Mikael Pettersson)
>
> Isn't that slightly redundant with oprofile?
> They have different capabilities, but there is still much overlap.

They're _completely_ different. The overlap, if any, is miniscule. Trust me :-)

2003-01-29 16:44:37

by Stephen Hemminger

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 04:35, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > > . Lockless gettimeofday (Andi Kleen, me)
>
> The original algorithm actually came from Andrea Arcangeli,
> I just ported it from vsyscalls to do_gettimeofday.
>
> > > . Performance monitoring counters for x86 (Mikael Pettersson)
>
> Isn't that slightly redundant with oprofile?
> They have different capabilities, but there is still much overlap.

They are different. My point was to have both and let the performance
team at OSDL try both, and comment on what works/doesn't work