2002-11-06 15:44:53

by xmb

Subject: initramfs in 2.5.46 wont compile

Yo,

was trying to compile 2.5.46 fresh from source on my ppc machine, and
initramfs gives me an err (in make bzImage):

make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=arch/ppc/kernel
arch/ppc/kernel/asm-offsets.s
make[1]: `arch/ppc/kernel/asm-offsets.s' is up to date.
Generating include/asm-ppc/offsets.h (unchanged)
Starting the build. KBUILD_BUILTIN=1 KBUILD_MODULES=
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=init
Generating include/linux/compile.h (unchanged)
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=usr
objcopy \
--rename-section .data=.init.initramfs \
usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz usr/initramfs_data.o
objcopy: usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz: File format not recognized
make[1]: *** [usr/initramfs_data.o] Error 1
make: *** [usr] Error 2

./xmb

2002-11-06 15:57:27

by xmb

Subject: Re: initramfs in 2.5.46 wont compile

-- Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:

> ppc arch support for initramfs needs to be added...

oh... is there a way to disable the initramfs build in a safe way so i can
continue compiling the kernel without it

2002-11-06 15:52:38

by Jeff Garzik

xmb wrote:
> Yo,
>
> was trying to compile 2.5.46 fresh from source on my ppc machine, and
> initramfs gives me an err (in make bzImage):
>
> make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=arch/ppc/kernel
> arch/ppc/kernel/asm-offsets.s

ppc arch support for initramfs needs to be added...

2002-11-06 16:13:04

by Jeff Garzik

xmb wrote:
> -- Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> ppc arch support for initramfs needs to be added...
>

> oh... is there a way to disable the initramfs build in a safe way so i
> can continue compiling the kernel without it

Nope, just hunt around the ppc mailing lists for a patch... I'm sure one
will appear very soon, if it hasn't already been created.

Jeff

2002-11-06 19:21:32

by Tom Rini

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 11:17:42AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> xmb wrote:
> >-- Jeff Garzik <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>ppc arch support for initramfs needs to be added...
> >

> >oh... is there a way to disable the initramfs build in a safe way so i
> >can continue compiling the kernel without it
>
> Nope, just hunt around the ppc mailing lists for a patch... I'm sure one
> will appear very soon, if it hasn't already been created.

Or better yet, use the ppc 2.5 tree. Check out
http://penguinppc.org/dev/kernel.shtml, and get the linuxppc-2.5 tree
(based on the linux-2.5 one, so you can just pull into a clone of that
if you already have one).

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/