2002-08-04 11:41:47

by Tommy Faasen

Subject: 2.4.18 (pre8) strange software raid0 problem

Hi,

i ran into a very strange problem.

I booted my system this morning only to discover that I could no longer
mount my /dev/md0. I shut down my system last night without any problems.

The only way I can mount it again is with mdadm --assembly /dev/md0
/dev/sda9 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
I have to do this every time the system is rebooted.

The distribution is debian unstable
mdadm - v1.0.1 - 20 May 2002
raidstart v0.3d compiled for md raidtools-0.90

Is there any way to permanently fix this error?
How did this happen, as i didn't do anything i can see related to this?

If you need any extra information please let me know.

Tommy

Attachments:
dmesg.txt (11.62 kB)
mdadm.txt (2.48 kB)

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: 2.4.18 (pre8) strange software raid0 problem

On Sunday August 4, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i ran into a very strange problem.
>
> I booted my system this morning only to discover that I could no longer
> mount my /dev/md0. I shut down my system last night without any problems.
>
> The only way I can mount it again is with mdadm --assembly /dev/md0
> /dev/sda9 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
> I have to do this every time the system is rebooted.
>
> The distribution is debian unstable
> mdadm - v1.0.1 - 20 May 2002
> raidstart v0.3d compiled for md raidtools-0.90
>
> Is there any way to permanently fix this error?
> How did this happen, as i didn't do anything i can see related to
> this?

Sounds to me like something changed in debian. 'unstable' is like
that.

It would appear that you aren't using autodetect partitions, so you
need to have either 'raidstart -a' or 'mdadm -As' run at boot time,
with appropriate config files: /etc/raidtab or /etc/mdadm.conf.
Check your rc scripts and config files, decide which one you want to
use, and make sure the right script is enabled and the right
configfile has appropriate information.

NeilBrown

2002-08-06 06:16:50

by Tommy Faasen

> On Sunday August 4, [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i ran into a very strange problem.
>>
>> I booted my system this morning only to discover that I could no
>> longer mount my /dev/md0. I shut down my system last night without any
>> problems.
>>
>> The only way I can mount it again is with mdadm --assembly /dev/md0
>> /dev/sda9 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
>> I have to do this every time the system is rebooted.
>>
>> The distribution is debian unstable
>> mdadm - v1.0.1 - 20 May 2002
>> raidstart v0.3d compiled for md raidtools-0.90
>>
>> Is there any way to permanently fix this error?
>> How did this happen, as i didn't do anything i can see related to
>> this?
>
> Sounds to me like something changed in debian. 'unstable' is like that.

I can imagine you feel like that, but this was not the case.

> It would appear that you aren't using autodetect partitions, so you need
> to have either 'raidstart -a' or 'mdadm -As' run at boot time, with
> appropriate config files: /etc/raidtab or /etc/mdadm.conf.
> Check your rc scripts and config files, decide which one you want to
> use, and make sure the right script is enabled and the right
> configfile has appropriate information.

Well, that's just it, I was/am using autodetect partitions.
if I run raidstart -a or raidstart /dev/md0 it says something like "
strarting /dev/md0 succes!". However when I try to mount it it fails, only
the mdmadm command seems to work?

Tommy
> NeilBrown
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
> in the body of a message to [email protected]

by NeilBrown

On Tuesday August 6, [email protected] wrote:

> Well, that's just it, I was/am using autodetect partitions.
> if I run raidstart -a or raidstart /dev/md0 it says something like "
> strarting /dev/md0 succes!". However when I try to mount it it fails, only
> the mdmadm command seems to work?

I guess more detail is needed.
Can you give me complete dmesg logs of the booting processes,
particularly where it attempts to assemble the RAID array.

NeilBrown

2002-08-06 11:41:50

by NeilBrown

On Tuesday August 6, [email protected] wrote:
> On Tuesday August 6, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Well, that's just it, I was/am using autodetect partitions.
> > if I run raidstart -a or raidstart /dev/md0 it says something like "
> > strarting /dev/md0 succes!". However when I try to mount it it fails, only
> > the mdmadm command seems to work?
>
> I guess more detail is needed.
> Can you give me complete dmesg logs of the booting processes,
> particularly where it attempts to assemble the RAID array.

oh... you did... sorry.

I had deleted the original email, but just found it at
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0208.0/0802.html
and there are attachments.

The dmesg makes me feel very sure that you aren't using autodetect.
Please provide:

fdisk -l /dev/sda
fdisk -l /dev/sdb
fdisk -l /dev/sdc

I don't understand why raidstart doesn't work.. Maybe you should show
me your /etc/raidtab as well.

NeilBrown

2002-08-06 18:30:25

by Tommy Faasen

> I had deleted the original email, but just found it at
> http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0208.0/0802.html
> and there are attachments.

I owe you an aploogie, i indeed installed a bad version of raidtools, it
seems to be ok, now i have upgraded.

Bad ->128658 Aug 2 13:47 raidtools2_0.90.20010914
-19_i386.deb
Good -> 128742 Aug 5 01:32 raidtools2_0.90.20010914
-20_i386.deb

Thanks for your help nonetheless!

Tommy