2004-10-23 04:30:09

by Larry McVoy

Subject: bkbits - "@" question

The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is probably
about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce spam if we
did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?

What are all of you doing to filter spam?

2004-10-23 09:52:25

by Christoph Hellwig

Subject: Re: bkbits - "@" question

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:26:39PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is probably
> about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce spam if we
> did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?

No.

2004-10-23 10:13:30

by Jean Delvare

> * Larry McVoy asked:
> The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is
> probably about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce
> spam if we did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
>
> * Christoph Hellwig answered:
> No.

Why not, please?

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/

2004-10-23 10:22:10

by Christoph Hellwig

On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:14:52PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > * Larry McVoy asked:
> > The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is
> > probably about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce
> > spam if we did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
> >
> > * Christoph Hellwig answered:
> > No.
>
> Why not, please?

Because spambots parse all this replacements anyway, and it makes cut & pasting
mail addresses if you want to reply to a change much easier.

p.s. please reply to me if you reply to my mails, thanks

2004-10-23 10:23:31

by Jan Engelhardt

>> * Larry McVoy asked:
>> The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is
>> probably about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce
>> spam if we did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
>>
>> * Christoph Hellwig answered:
>> No.
>
>Why not, please?

Counter-example... when I stopped posting to NNTP, the amount of spam also
decreased. Probably because the bots only skim a fixed timeperiod. In a long
term, I think it's a good choice to replace it. Maybe some PHP magic that
either puts <at>, [at] or (at) randomly there for each page request.

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft f?r Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 G?ttingen, http://www.gwdg.de

2004-10-23 10:34:20

by Toni Spets

This is linux-kernel mailing list anyway.

2004-10-23 10:46:01

by Måns Rullgård

Jan Engelhardt <[email protected]> writes:

>>> * Larry McVoy asked:
>>> The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is
>>> probably about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce
>>> spam if we did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
>>>
>>> * Christoph Hellwig answered:
>>> No.
>>
>>Why not, please?
>
> Counter-example... when I stopped posting to NNTP, the amount of spam also
> decreased. Probably because the bots only skim a fixed timeperiod. In a long
> term, I think it's a good choice to replace it. Maybe some PHP magic that
> either puts <at>, [at] or (at) randomly there for each page request.

What's to stop the bots from matching each of those patterns? I have
been using my address openly on mailing lists and USENET for years,
and the spam level has stabilized on a manageable level. It's only
during the outbreak of new viruses that the levels get annoyingly
high, but those are easily filterable.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Jean Delvare

> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:14:52PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > > * Larry McVoy asked:
> > > The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is
> > > probably about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce
> > > spam if we did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those
> > > addresses?
> > >
> > > * Christoph Hellwig answered:
> > > No.
> >
> > Why not, please?
>
> Because spambots parse all this replacements anyway, and it makes cut
> & pasting mail addresses if you want to reply to a change much easier.

Strongly depends on how this is done. Of course, replacing
[email protected] by user(at)domain.org or even user AT domain DOT org
won't help. However, I wonder what amount of spambots will spot user:
domain org as a valid e-mail address.

There are also HTML+CSS tricks that should work well. Split the address
over right-floating span elements, these will display in the reverse
order. I doubt that the spambots will get it right.

I don't think that the cut'n'paste ability argument weights much here.
How often do you do that?

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/

2004-10-23 11:10:27

by DaMouse

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:59:43 +0200, Jean Delvare <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Why not, please?
> >
> > Because spambots parse all this replacements anyway, and it makes cut
> > & pasting mail addresses if you want to reply to a change much easier.
>
> Strongly depends on how this is done. Of course, replacing
> [email protected] by user(at)domain.org or even user AT domain DOT org
> won't help. However, I wonder what amount of spambots will spot user:
> domain org as a valid e-mail address.
>
> There are also HTML+CSS tricks that should work well. Split the address
> over right-floating span elements, these will display in the reverse
> order. I doubt that the spambots will get it right.
>
> I don't think that the cut'n'paste ability argument weights much here.
> How often do you do that?
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Jean Delvare
> http://khali.linux-fr.org/
> -

Why not just have a PHP contact form instead with some of the well
known PHP security things in it such as an auth number box or whatnot.

-DaMouse

--
I know I broke SOMETHING but its there fault for not fixing it before me

2004-10-23 11:12:52

by Andrew Walrond

On Saturday 23 Oct 2004 05:26, Larry McVoy wrote:

> What are all of you doing to filter spam?
> -

On all my mail and ML I use the exim MTA to filter all incoming and outgoung
mail thru spamassassin and clamav. Works a treat. Never seen a virus, and
perhaps 2 spams a day (down from hundreds).

2004-10-23 11:36:41

by Jon Masters

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:26:39 -0700, Larry McVoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> What are all of you doing to filter spam?

[OT] I use gmail for such high volume mailing lists, not for personal
stuff. They have great filtering and it saves me hassle although I
also get a personal copy of list traffic.

Jon.

2004-10-23 11:44:07

by Jesper Juhl

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Larry McVoy wrote:

> What are all of you doing to filter spam?

Personally I use SpamAssassin to get rid of the junk. Works very well for
me.

---
Jesper Juhl

2004-10-23 15:57:15

by Adrian Bunk

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:26:39PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

> The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is probably
> about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce spam if we
> did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?

Assuming all people who have contributed to the Linux kernel also used
their email address at least once to mail to linux-kernel, it wouldn't
gain much.

I had a new email address, mailed to lnux-kernel, and less than 24 hours
later the first spam mails arrived at this address.

And the spammers aren't dumb. These @-replacements are that commen that
I'd be surprised if they still have a significant effect.

> What are all of you doing to filter spam?

500 Spams/day
Bogofilter catches > 95%

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2004-10-24 15:41:38

by Martin J. Bligh

--Christoph Hellwig <[email protected]> wrote (on Saturday, October 23, 2004 11:21:31 +0100):

> On Sat, Oct 23, 2004 at 12:14:52PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
>> > * Larry McVoy asked:
>> > The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is
>> > probably about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce
>> > spam if we did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
>> >
>> > * Christoph Hellwig answered:
>> > No.
>>
>> Why not, please?
>
> Because spambots parse all this replacements anyway, and it makes cut & pasting
> mail addresses if you want to reply to a change much easier.

Besides which, 99.99% of people who's name appears in the changelogs
have presumably posted to linux-kernel anyway, and are thus in need
of spam prophylactics whatever you do. So it won't help ...

M.

2004-10-25 06:21:15

by Jeff Garzik

Larry McVoy wrote:
> The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is probably
> about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce spam if we
> did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
>
> What are all of you doing to filter spam?

Largely irrelevant IMHO, since the changeset descriptions all have valid
email addresses anyway.

Jeff

2004-10-28 17:49:42

by Mark Frazer

Larry McVoy <[email protected]> [04/10/23 01:31]:
> The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is probably
> about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce spam if we
> did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?

Hi Larry: I've used this for a while to add email addresses to my web
pages and I get almost no spam any more, < 10 per month!

[mjfrazer@pacific depictII]$ html-encode [email protected]
&#109;&#97;&#114;&#107;&#64;&#109;&#106;&#102;&#114;&#97;&#122;&#101;&#114;&#46;&#114;&#111;&#103;
[mjfrazer@pacific depictII]$

I've attached the source.

> What are all of you doing to filter spam?

I use bogofilter, but only get about 10 per month anyways.

cheers
-mark
--
People said I was dumb but I proved them! - Fry

Attachments:
(No filename) (767.00 B)
html-encode.c (610.00 B)

by Måns Rullgård

Mark Frazer <[email protected]> writes:

> Larry McVoy <[email protected]> [04/10/23 01:31]:
>> The web pages on bkbits.net contain email addresses. This is probably
>> about a 4 year too late question but would it help reduce spam if we
>> did something like s/@/ (at) / for all those addresses?
>
> Hi Larry: I've used this for a while to add email addresses to my web
> pages and I get almost no spam any more, < 10 per month!
>
> [mjfrazer@pacific depictII]$ html-encode [email protected]
> &#109;&#97;&#114;&#107;&#64;&#109;&#106;&#102;&#114;&#97;&#122;&#101;&#114;&#46;&#114;&#111;&#103;
> [mjfrazer@pacific depictII]$
>
> I've attached the source.

Why not just perl -pe 's/(.)/"&#".ord($1).";"/eg;' ?

--
M?ns Rullg?rd

by Mark Frazer

M?ns Rullg?rd <[email protected]> [04/10/28 14:18]:
> Why not just perl -pe 's/(.)/"&#".ord($1).";"/eg;' ?

even better...

--
I'm gonna be a science fiction hero, just like Uhura, or Captain Janeway,
or Xena! - Fry