2008-03-03 18:00:46

by Neal Becker

Subject: Books on writing linux device drivers

I am about to start on writing a linux device driver. What books are
recommended? There are some books that are a few years old now, that deal
with 2.4 kernel. What would be useful for a relatively recent kernel?

2008-03-03 18:26:15

by Kristof Provost

Subject: Re: Books on writing linux device drivers

2008-03-03 18:32:42

by Jonathan Corbet

> I am about to start on writing a linux device driver. What books are
> recommended? There are some books that are a few years old now, that deal
> with 2.4 kernel. What would be useful for a relatively recent kernel?

LDD3 covers the 2.6.10 kernel:

http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

That's still on the old side at this point, of course, but it's a far
cry from 2.4.

jon

2008-03-03 18:41:59

by Jiri Slaby

On 03/03/2008 07:00 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> I am about to start on writing a linux device driver. What books are
> recommended? There are some books that are a few years old now, that deal
> with 2.4 kernel. What would be useful for a relatively recent kernel?

google://ldd3
Documentation/kernel-docs.txt

2008-03-03 18:46:44

by alan

> On 2008-03-03 13:00:26 (-0500), Neal Becker <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am about to start on writing a linux device driver. What books are
>> recommended? There are some books that are a few years old now, that
>> deal
>> with 2.4 kernel. What would be useful for a relatively recent kernel?
> Recent revisions of "Linux Device Drivers". You may wish to address such
> questions to Google in the future.

I think he is also looking for ones that are good, not just what is
available.

Greg Kroah-Hartman had a book written on Kernel Device Drivers. get the
latest edition of that.

More info on his web page on writing device drivers, with examples.

http://www.kroah.com/linux/