2014-12-03 12:38:51

by Heyang Zhou

Subject: GPL violation: China Telecom uses a modified linux kernel in its product without sources

Hi,
I think China Telecom is violating GPL in one of its products, iTV.
The product uses linux as its OS. To run on MIPS architecture, it does a
lot of modification to linux kernel. But there is NO source published. I
phoned them and they just refused to open the source.
The product 'iTV' is distributed and being used by many people. And I'm
sure that it uses Linux kernel, for I've checked its UART output.

Heyang Zhou

2014-12-03 21:50:12

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> I think China Telecom is violating GPL in one of its products, iTV.
> The product uses linux as its OS. To run on MIPS architecture, it does a
> lot of modification to linux kernel. But there is NO source published. I
> phoned them and they just refused to open the source.
> The product 'iTV' is distributed and being used by many people. And I'm
> sure that it uses Linux kernel, for I've checked its UART output.

This would be right place to coordinate action:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl-violations.org

...but for some reason, Gpl-violations.org does not work for me.
Pavel

by Marc Dietrich

Am Mittwoch, 3. Dezember 2014, 22:50:09 schrieb Pavel Machek:
> Hi!
>
> > I think China Telecom is violating GPL in one of its products, iTV.
> > The product uses linux as its OS. To run on MIPS architecture, it does a
> > lot of modification to linux kernel. But there is NO source published. I
> > phoned them and they just refused to open the source.
> > The product 'iTV' is distributed and being used by many people. And I'm
> > sure that it uses Linux kernel, for I've checked its UART output.
>
> This would be right place to coordinate action:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gpl-violations.org
>
> ...but for some reason, Gpl-violations.org does not work for me.

there is not much kernel devs can do about this. Better read this first and
then ask the FSF for help.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html

Marc