2001-03-19 15:15:20

by Amit S. Kale

Subject: Per user private directories - trfs

Hi,

Translators for providing per user private directories and restricting
visibility of files and directories using the translation filesystem are
available now at
http://trfs.sourceforge.net/

Per user private directories:
Files created in a per user private directory are not visible to users
other than the owner of the files. Per user view enables users to use shared
directories as if they were private. Using a peruser view for a shared
directory like /tmp allows users to have their own copy of the directory.
It also helps reduce contention for directories like /var/spool/mail that
undergo a large number of file creations and removals.

Restricted visibility of files and directories:
Owner of a file can make it invisible to group (of the file) or others by
restricting its visibility. A directory listing by a user shows only those
files which are visibile to the user. Invisible files cannot be accessed
even by using a stat system call.
--
Amit S. Kale
<[email protected]>

Linux kernel source level debugger http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/
Translation filesystem http://trfs.sourceforge.net/

2001-03-19 15:29:10

by Heusden, Folkert van

Subject: RE: Per user private directories - trfs

> Translators for providing per user private directories and restricting
> visibility of files and directories using the translation filesystem are
> available now at
> http://trfs.sourceforge.net/
> Per user private directories:
> Files created in a per user private directory are not visible to users
> other than the owner of the files.

I like the concept, I would have done it different though: I would look
at the bits and see if a user can do anything with a file. Can
he/she (from now on I'll write 'xe' for that) read or write or execute a
file (or is owner of course)? -> file is visible. Xe is in group of file?
And Xe can r/w/x file? -> visible. all other cases: invisible.