2003-01-16 07:18:56

by Ferry van Steen

Subject: Partially closed source module, more of gcc/ld question.

Hey there,

some of you might have read my message on the promise fasttrak last time.
I'm sorry to say that I started yelling to them through e-mail and the
replied now! This is the so manied company that suddenly replies if you
yell... Oh well, they released some new module, which I want to try later
on.

Sortta like nvidia, you get a Makefile, some others an object and 3 C
files. Now for the question. Loading a gcc v2 compiled module into a v3
compiled kernel causes problems. Is it correct to assume then that if the
object were compiled with v2, and the C files with v3 and those get linked
together into a module, that you might experience the same problems?

Is there any way I can see with which version the object was compiled
(the kernel seems to be able to, or atleast, partially it doesn't give
specific version just v2 or v3)?

Kind regards

2003-01-16 08:57:28

by Andrew McGregor

Check out the patches for the NVIDIA driver on http://www.minion.de, there's a
linker hack in the most recent patch which fixes this.

Andrew

--On Thursday, January 16, 2003 08:29:31 +0100 Ferry van Steen