2012-10-01 21:33:24

by Pierre Beck

Subject: Re: Areca hardware RAID / first-ever SCSI bus reset: am I about to lose this disk controller?

Check the SMART values of the disks if possible. Watch for command
timeouts and the usual bad sector stuff. I've had similar issues with
Adaptec controllers. Bad disks seem to cause havoc. The outstanding
operation isn't answered within [SCSI Timeout, default 30,
/sys/block/sdX/device/timeout] seconds, so Linux performs a loop reset,
eventually resetting the controller. That means between 60 and 120
seconds of zero I/O operation, varying between controllers and disk
array sizes. It's particularly annoying when in RAID and the disk
could've simply been kicked within few seconds. Something that needs
improvement IMHO.

On 23.09.2012 17:42, Nix wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2012, Chris Murphy outgrape:
>
>> On Sep 19, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Nix wrote:
>>
>>> So I have this x86-64 server running Linux 3.5.1 with a SATA-on-PCIe
>>> Areca 1210 hardware RAID-5 controller
>> Did you find this? Same controller family. Weird that this just shows
>> up now, but perhaps instead of it being "bad hardware" out the gate,
>> something's happened to it and now it's failing as you suspect.
> Hm, it's possible I suppose. Just as possible that a disk is dying.
>

> It looks to have been a one-off transient -- no recurrence yet, touch
> wood :)

2012-10-01 22:51:25

by Chris Murphy

On Oct 1, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Pierre Beck wrote:
> It's particularly annoying when in RAID and the disk could've simply been kicked within few seconds. Something that needs improvement IMHO.

Except that while this helps with faster recovery, you're now degraded. You wouldn't want this "fast recovery" behavior if you're at your critical number of disks remaining or you lose the array upon a few seconds worth of subsequent problems. So we kinda need context specific behavior.

Chris Murphy-

2012-10-01 23:54:55

by Pierre Beck

Yes. When in degraded mode, timeout should be raised to five minutes or
so. When in clean mode, timeout should be a tunable in milliseconds.
Commercial RAIDs offer timeouts in ranges like 200ms - 2s. Plus a disk
which was kicked that way should be scanned for and re-added if
possible. With write-intent bitmaps, that would make RAIDs with aging
disks or cables much more solid.

Also, non-degraded mode: Skip loop resets. Skip all resets actually, if
possible. Just kick the disk. Degraded mode: Perform loop resets as it
is now. A hung-up controller would then cause an array to degrade, but
won't hang indefinitely. Granted, always doing loop resets keeps the
array non-degraded, but a crashed controller is rare whilst failing
disks are common.

linux-scsi and linux-raid should talk about this one day to make it
happen. Requires a bit of interfacing between the layers.

On 02.10.2012 00:53, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Pierre Beck wrote:
>> It's particularly annoying when in RAID and the disk could've simply been kicked within few seconds. Something that needs improvement IMHO.
> Except that while this helps with faster recovery, you're now degraded. You wouldn't want this "fast recovery" behavior if you're at your critical number of disks remaining or you lose the array upon a few seconds worth of subsequent problems. So we kinda need context specific behavior.
>

> Chris Murphy--

by Nix

On 1 Oct 2012, Pierre Beck stated:
> On 23.09.2012 17:42, Nix wrote:

>>> Did you find this? Same controller family. Weird that this just shows
>>> up now, but perhaps instead of it being "bad hardware" out the gate,
>>> something's happened to it and now it's failing as you suspect.
>> Hm, it's possible I suppose. Just as possible that a disk is dying.
>>

>> It looks to have been a one-off transient -- no recurrence yet, touch
>> wood :)
>>
> Check the SMART values of the disks if possible. Watch for command
> timeouts and the usual bad sector stuff. I've had similar issues with
> Adaptec controllers. Bad disks seem to cause havoc. The outstanding
> operation isn't answered within [SCSI Timeout, default 30,
> /sys/block/sdX/device/timeout] seconds, so Linux performs a loop
> reset, eventually resetting the controller. That means between 60 and
> 120 seconds of zero I/O operation, varying between controllers and
> disk array sizes. It's particularly annoying when in RAID and the disk
> could've simply been kicked within few seconds. Something that needs
> improvement IMHO.

The problem has not recurred in more than three weeks. SMART says no
problems... so I guess the controller dropped off the bus for some
reason. Probably some sort of subtle firmware bug or something. (There
are hints in the driver that such bugs exist, hence the enormous amount
of code the driver devotes to resetting the thing when it goes silent.)

--
NULL && (void)