2002-12-12 17:54:20

by BoehmeSilvio

Subject: 2.4.20-ac1 KT400 AGP support

Hi !

Hopefully I'm right here.....

I have some trouble to get agpgart working in kernel 2.4.20-ac1.

My setup:
- ASUS A7V8X with VIA KT400 Chip (AGP 8X)
- ATI Radeon 9700 PRO (also AGP 8X)

The original 2.4.20 kernel doesn't know this chipset, so I tried the
2.4.20-ac1, which has some patches for the KT400.

With 2.4.20-ac1 I get the following error:

agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 690M
agpgart: Detected Via Apollo KT-400 chipset
agpgart: unable to determine aperture size

By

Silvio

2002-12-12 19:13:22

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: 2.4.20-ac1 KT400 AGP support

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 07:04:02PM +0100, BoehmeSilvio wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Hopefully I'm right here.....
>
> I have some trouble to get agpgart working in kernel 2.4.20-ac1.
>
> My setup:
> - ASUS A7V8X with VIA KT400 Chip (AGP 8X)
> - ATI Radeon 9700 PRO (also AGP 8X)
>
> The original 2.4.20 kernel doesn't know this chipset, so I tried the
> 2.4.20-ac1, which has some patches for the KT400.
>
> With 2.4.20-ac1 I get the following error:
>
> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 690M
> agpgart: Detected Via Apollo KT-400 chipset
> agpgart: unable to determine aperture size

Currently AGPGART doesn't support AGP 3.0 (which is needed for X8 mode)

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-12-13 10:08:59

by BoehmeSilvio

Hi !

I don't need the AGP 8X mode, but is it possible,
to get this setup running in whatever agp mode ?

Currently it is only possible to start X with VESA support,
because all other drivers need agpgart.

By

Silvio

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 07:04:02PM +0100, BoehmeSilvio wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Hopefully I'm right here.....
>
> I have some trouble to get agpgart working in kernel 2.4.20-ac1.
>
> My setup:
> - ASUS A7V8X with VIA KT400 Chip (AGP 8X)
> - ATI Radeon 9700 PRO (also AGP 8X)
>
> The original 2.4.20 kernel doesn't know this chipset, so I tried the
> 2.4.20-ac1, which has some patches for the KT400.
>
> With 2.4.20-ac1 I get the following error:
>
> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 690M
> agpgart: Detected Via Apollo KT-400 chipset
> agpgart: unable to determine aperture size

Currently AGPGART doesn't support AGP 3.0 (which is needed for X8 mode)

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-12-13 16:28:27

by Dave Jones

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 11:18:39AM +0100, BoehmeSilvio wrote:

> I don't need the AGP 8X mode, but is it possible,
> to get this setup running in whatever agp mode ?

You misunderstand. You have an AGP 3.0 bridge.
Various things are done differently to how they were in previous
revisions of the standard. For example, the aperture size is now
a 16 bit field (which is why people are getting that
"can't determine aperture size" error).

I'm working on merging the Intel patches posted here a while
ago, and bending the generic bits into something that *might*
work (I don't have a board to test -- I'll shout when I have
something I want people to test with), note that I'm doing this
for 2.5 however. 2.4 is going to have to wait.

> Currently it is only possible to start X with VESA support,
> because all other drivers need agpgart.

X should start, but you'll get no accelerated 3d.
None of the X drivers _need_ agpgart except for maybe the
i810 with shared memory.

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-12-14 03:16:03

by Courtney Grimland

You should be able to set AGP to 4x or 2x in the BIOS.

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 11:18:39 +0100
BoehmeSilvio <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I don't need the AGP 8X mode, but is it possible,
> to get this setup running in whatever agp mode ?
>
> Currently it is only possible to start X with VESA support,
> because all other drivers need agpgart.
>
> By
>
> Silvio

2002-12-14 10:05:52

by Dave Jones

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 07:57:59PM -0600, Courtney Grimland wrote:
> You should be able to set AGP to 4x or 2x in the BIOS.

Aparently some KT400 BIOS's got clever, and took away the option.
They switch to AGP 3.0 if an AGP 3.0 card is present, and drop
back to 2.0 if a 2.0 card is present.

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-12-14 18:59:12

by Courtney Grimland

That's retarded. I guess I just got lucky with mine. In fact, now
that I can build a monolithic 2.4.x that supports my AGP and
8235 sound, I couldn't be happier with my Gigabyte 7VAXP.

On Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:13:27 +0000
Dave Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> Aparently some KT400 BIOS's got clever, and took away the option.
> They switch to AGP 3.0 if an AGP 3.0 card is present, and drop
> back to 2.0 if a 2.0 card is present.

2002-12-14 22:47:44

by Nicolas Mailhot

>Dave Jones wrote :
>On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 07:57:59PM -0600, Courtney Grimland wrote:
> > You should be able to set AGP to 4x or 2x in the BIOS.

> Aparently some KT400 BIOS's got clever, and took away the option.
> They switch to AGP 3.0 if an AGP 3.0 card is present, and drop
> back to 2.0 if a 2.0 card is present.

Well they didn't get as far as removing the option but secreted it
in a bios setup screen that can only be accessed via a magic key
sequence (which can be found after some serious googling).

Real nice for a normal user when it works (and so far I didn't heard
from anyone their agp recognition was broken). In fact I spend quite
a long time searching why my system just-worked when people started
reporting KT400 problems.

I'd be really surprised if my board (GA-7VAX) did this and the
GA-7VAXP didn't.

Nicolas Mailhot

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Ceci est une partie de message num?riquement sign