2006-02-20 21:04:04

by Alexey Dobriyan

Subject: Mozilla Thunderbird posting instructions wanted

This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
inline
with tabs preserved
with long lines preserved

Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
patches inline and screw themselves.

I'll put instructions somewhere on -kj website and point every
unsuspecting new guy to them.

2006-02-20 21:12:55

by Jesper Juhl

On 2/20/06, Alexey Dobriyan <[email protected]> wrote:
> This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> inline
> with tabs preserved
> with long lines preserved

I may be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge that's not possible.
I tried for a while to get it to do that exactely so I could tell
people using it how to do it, but I gave up.

I'd say the best solution is to use a different MUA. 'pine', 'mutt',
'kmail' or even just plain 'mail' from a commandline works well.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Sam Vilain

Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> inline
> with tabs preserved
> with long lines preserved
>
> Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> patches inline and screw themselves.
>
> I'll put instructions somewhere on -kj website and point every
> unsuspecting new guy to them.

Evolution has an option for setting the Content-Disposition: inline
header on individual attachments; I haven't seen the same option in
thunderbird.

Sam.

2006-02-20 21:25:42

by Rene Herman

Alexey Dobriyan wrote:

> This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> inline
> with tabs preserved
> with long lines preserved

Oh, give it up...

> Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> patches inline and screw themselves.

Personally I'd simply advocate plain text attachments. One thing though;
if you are going to, please make note of the long (long) standing bug in
TB that has it send all attachments (including plaintext ones) Base64
encoded when the outgoing encoding is set to UTF-8.

I do normally have outgoing set to UTF-8 and for example forgot to
disable that earlier today when I sent an OOPS as an attachment. You
don't immediately notice this yourself, since TB simply decodes it again
when viewing...

Rene.

2006-02-20 21:31:11

by Nish Aravamudan

On 2/20/06, Alexey Dobriyan <[email protected]> wrote:
> This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> inline
> with tabs preserved
> with long lines preserved
>
> Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> patches inline and screw themselves.

Randy D. eventually agreed that there was a way, IIRC:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/27/191

Probably can work your way through the thread to figure out how (I use mutt :)

Thanks,
Nish

2006-02-20 21:34:47

by Alistair John Strachan

On Monday 20 February 2006 21:12, Sam Vilain wrote:
> Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> > is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> > instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> > inline
> > with tabs preserved
> > with long lines preserved
> >
> > Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> > patches inline and screw themselves.
> >
> > I'll put instructions somewhere on -kj website and point every
> > unsuspecting new guy to them.
>
> Evolution has an option for setting the Content-Disposition: inline
> header on individual attachments; I haven't seen the same option in
> thunderbird.

Many clients have this feature, although it does not end up being presented by
the client as quotable text. Read: any form of attachment is suboptimal.

Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.

by Matt Helsley

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:12 +1300, Sam Vilain wrote:
> Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> > This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> > is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> > instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> > inline
> > with tabs preserved
> > with long lines preserved
> >
> > Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> > patches inline and screw themselves.
> >
> > I'll put instructions somewhere on -kj website and point every
> > unsuspecting new guy to them.
>
> Evolution has an option for setting the Content-Disposition: inline
> header on individual attachments; I haven't seen the same option in
> thunderbird.
>
> Sam.

Even better, you can inline plain text in Evolution if you switch the
text style to "Preformat" just before going to the "Insert" menu,
selecting "Text file...", and selecting a file to insert. This works
even with HTML-formatted output turned off in your preferences.

Cheers,
-Matt Helsley

2006-02-20 22:19:39

by Randy Dunlap

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:30:59 -0800 Nish Aravamudan wrote:

> On 2/20/06, Alexey Dobriyan <[email protected]> wrote:
> > This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> > is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> > instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> > inline
> > with tabs preserved
> > with long lines preserved
> >
> > Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> > patches inline and screw themselves.
>
> Randy D. eventually agreed that there was a way, IIRC:
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/12/27/191
>
> Probably can work your way through the thread to figure out how (I use mutt :)

Yep, the odd part is not to disable html email.
Then when composing a message, there is a drop-down box for a format
selection. While the cursor is in the body area, change the format
from default "Body text" to Preformat, and then copy-n-paste the patch.
At least that's what worked for me.

---
~Randy

2006-02-20 22:22:40

by Jeff Garzik

Rene Herman wrote:
> Personally I'd simply advocate plain text attachments. One thing though;
> if you are going to, please make note of the long (long) standing bug in
> TB that has it send all attachments (including plaintext ones) Base64
> encoded when the outgoing encoding is set to UTF-8.

No attachments at all, please...

Jeff

2006-02-20 22:32:12

by Phillip Susi

Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> inline
> with tabs preserved
> with long lines preserved
>
> Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> patches inline and screw themselves.
>
> I'll put instructions somewhere on -kj website and point every
> unsuspecting new guy to them.

Attaching the .diff file works correctly right? You are just saying
some people try to paste the text inline and so it gets line wrapped?

2006-02-20 23:07:30

by Alan

On Llu, 2006-02-20 at 21:34 +0000, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
> On Monday 20 February 2006 21:12, Sam Vilain wrote:
> > Evolution has an option for setting the Content-Disposition: inline
> > header on individual attachments; I haven't seen the same option in
> > thunderbird.
>
> Many clients have this feature, although it does not end up being presented by
> the client as quotable text. Read: any form of attachment is suboptimal.

For Evolution

Set the formatting to "Preformat"
Hit Insert/Text File (Alt-I X)
Then at the ghastly gnome dialog hit ^L (secret handshake for the
'developers cant stand it either' shortcut box) and type in the file
name

2006-02-20 23:46:47

by Frank Sorenson

2006-02-21 00:07:46

by Antonino A. Daplas

Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> inline
> with tabs preserved
> with long lines preserved
>
> Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> patches inline and screw themselves.
>
> I'll put instructions somewhere on -kj website and point every
> unsuspecting new guy to them.

I've been sending patches inline with thunderbird. Most important setting
is "wrap plain text messages at 0 characters".

Getting the external editor extension makes the job much easier. It allows
you to use your favorite editor while in the compose window.

Tony

2006-02-22 01:12:59

by Martin Bligh

Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> This POS is pretty popular among kernel janitors, so, can someone who
> is successfully using it, please, post crystally clear step-by-step
> instructions on how to send a foo.patch:
> inline
> with tabs preserved
> with long lines preserved
>
> Sending plain text attachments is OK with me, but, heh, people do post
> patches inline and screw themselves.
>
> I'll put instructions somewhere on -kj website and point every
> unsuspecting new guy to them.

http://mbligh.org/linuxdocs/Email/Clients/Thunderbird

M.

2006-02-22 01:49:04

by Ray Lee

On 2/21/06, Martin Bligh <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://mbligh.org/linuxdocs/Email/Clients/Thunderbird

Eek. I'd recommend using xclip [1] rather than using a mouse to cut
from emacs/whatever. ( xclip <my.diff , then paste in Thunderbird.)

[1] http://people.debian.org/~kims/xclip/

Ray

2006-02-22 01:57:44

by Martin Bligh

Ray Lee wrote:
> On 2/21/06, Martin Bligh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>http://mbligh.org/linuxdocs/Email/Clients/Thunderbird
>

> Eek. I'd recommend using xclip [1] rather than using a mouse to cut
> from emacs/whatever. ( xclip <my.diff , then paste in Thunderbird.)
>
> [1] http://people.debian.org/~kims/xclip/

Nice. Or rather ... slightly less foul than before. Wiki duly updated.

The whole thing still sucks ass, but still. Someone needs to smack
the thunderbird people with a 30lb wet salmon.

Thanks for the pointer.

M.