2009-12-11 09:21:04

by Christian Hartmann

Subject: Q: Why I do have to restart alsa everytime after a resume from disk/ram ? Is this alsa- or kernel or config related??

hello list,

everytime I suspended to disk or to ram, regardless of the used kernel
(git or stable from distri), I must restart alsa to hear sound again.
searched google and tried a lot but still the same awful behaviour.
Has anybode some suggestions for me? is this alsa related ? or is this
a kernel issue which could be dealt here?

If any logs/debugs/regs are needed, pls ask me.

Any help would be appreciated

sincerely yours
Chris H.
--
......oooO..............
.....(....).....Oooo...

2009-12-12 00:00:17

by Robert Hancock

On 12/11/2009 03:21 AM, Christian Hartmann wrote:
> hello list,
>
> everytime I suspended to disk or to ram, regardless of the used kernel
> (git or stable from distri), I must restart alsa to hear sound again.
> searched google and tried a lot but still the same awful behaviour.
> Has anybode some suggestions for me? is this alsa related ? or is this
> a kernel issue which could be dealt here?

I'm not sure what you mean by restarting ALSA, do you mean reloading the
audio device module or something?

You didn't mention which kind of sound hardware you were using either..

2009-12-13 01:40:47

by Christian Hartmann

sorry,

here are some logs && configs attached:

cheers
chris

2009/12/12 Robert Hancock <[email protected]>:
> On 12/11/2009 03:21 AM, Christian Hartmann wrote:
>>
>> hello list,
>>
>> everytime I suspended to disk or to ram, regardless of the used kernel
>> (git or stable from distri), I must restart alsa to hear sound again.
>> searched google and tried a lot but still the same awful behaviour.
>> Has anybode some suggestions for me? is this alsa related ? or is this
>> a kernel issue which could be dealt here?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by restarting ALSA, do you mean reloading the
> audio device module or something?
>
> You didn't mention which kind of sound hardware you were using either..

--
......oooO..............
.....(....).....Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
... I WAS ..............
.......... HERE...... ;)

Attachments:
dmesg.before.txt (102.22 kB)
dmesg.after.txt (121.55 kB)
lspci.s2ram_resume.txt (23.05 kB)
lspci_after_restart-alsa-util.diff.txt (665.00 B)
lsmod.txt (1.66 kB)
config-2.6.32-rc8a (80.71 kB)

by Robert Hancock

On 12/12/2009 03:51 PM, Christian Hartmann wrote:
> sorry,
>
> here are some logs&& configs attached:
>
> cheers
> chris
>
> 2009/12/12 Robert Hancock<[email protected]>:
>> On 12/11/2009 03:21 AM, Christian Hartmann wrote:
>>>
>>> hello list,
>>>
>>> everytime I suspended to disk or to ram, regardless of the used kernel
>>> (git or stable from distri), I must restart alsa to hear sound again.
>>> searched google and tried a lot but still the same awful behaviour.
>>> Has anybode some suggestions for me? is this alsa related ? or is this
>>> a kernel issue which could be dealt here?

That might help, but you didn't actually answer either of these questions:

>> I'm not sure what you mean by restarting ALSA, do you mean reloading the
>> audio device module or something?
>>
>> You didn't mention which kind of sound hardware you were using either..

2009-12-13 23:28:11

by Ray Lee

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 12/11/2009 03:21 AM, Christian Hartmann wrote:
>>
>> hello list,
>>
>> everytime I suspended to disk or to ram, regardless of the used kernel
>> (git or stable from distri), I must restart alsa to hear sound again.
>> searched google and tried a lot but still the same awful behaviour.
>> Has anybode some suggestions for me? is this alsa related ? or is this
>> a kernel issue which could be dealt here?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by restarting ALSA, do you mean reloading the
> audio device module or something?
>
> You didn't mention which kind of sound hardware you were using either..

Data point: Older versions of PulseAudio are very picky about the
timing data that comes back from ALSA, and throws a hissy-fit and goes
and sulks if it believes it's getting lied to. Perhaps you need to try
upgrading the PulseAudio packages, and try again.

2009-12-14 15:16:32

by Christian Hartmann

Hy,

I mean I have to

%/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

so that I could hear music again. The music is still played after
resume (ogg123, mpg321, xmms etc), but without any sound.
The libpulse0 is the latest unstable package I found, other
pulse-packages are not installed. And pulseaudio is only be used, when
I use skype, but this is rarely used by me.

here are some hardware infos now at first:

uname -a
Linux oddysseus 2.6.32-rc8a #17 Sat Dec 12 23:54:01 CET 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

lspci -vvv | grep -A 8 -i Audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: IBM ThinkPad T30
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
>TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
Region 1: I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH

lsmod | grep snd
snd_mixer_oss 11024 0
snd_intel8x0m 8757 0

cat /proc/asound/card
card0/ card1/ cards
oddysseus:/usr/local/lib# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [I82801CAICH3 ]: ICH - Intel 82801CA-ICH3
Intel 82801CA-ICH3 with AD1881A at irq 11
1 [Modem ]: ICH-MODEM - Intel 82801CA-ICH3 Modem
Intel 82801CA-ICH3 Modem at irq 11

cat /proc/asound/oss/devices
0: [0- 0]: mixer
16: [1- 0]: mixer

cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.21 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux oddysseus 2.6.32-rc8a #17 Sat Dec 12 23:54:01 CET 2009 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
Intel 82801CA-ICH3 with AD1881A at irq 11
Intel 82801CA-ICH3 Modem at irq 11

Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: Analog Devices AD1881A
1: Silicon Laboratory Si3036,8 rev

cat /proc/asound/card0/id
I82801CAICH3

cat /proc/asound/card0/intel8x0
Intel8x0
Global control : 0x00000002
Global status : 0x00301300

cat /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
AC'97 codecs ready : primary secondary
VOLUME "Master" 0
BASS "" 0
TREBLE "" 0
SYNTH "" 0
PCM "PCM" 0
SPEAKER "Beep" 0
LINE "Line" 0
MIC "Mic" 0
CD "CD" 0
IMIX "" 0
ALTPCM "" 0
RECLEV "" 0
IGAIN "Capture" 0
OGAIN "" 0
LINE1 "Aux" 0
LINE2 "" 0
LINE3 "" 0
DIGITAL1 "" 0
DIGITAL2 "" 0
DIGITAL3 "" 0
PHONEIN "Phone" 0
PHONEOUT "Master Mono" 0
VIDEO "Video" 0
RADIO "" 0
MONITOR "" 0

cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: CAPTURE
id: Intel ICH
name: Intel 82801CA-ICH3
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1

cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/info
card: 0
device: 0
subdevice: 0
stream: PLAYBACK
id: Intel ICH
name: Intel 82801CA-ICH3
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1

cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm1c/info
card: 0
device: 1
subdevice: 0
stream: CAPTURE
id: Intel ICH - MIC ADC
name: Intel 82801CA-ICH3 - MIC ADC
subname: subdevice #0
class: 0
subclass: 0
subdevices_count: 1
subdevices_avail: 1

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0
0-0/0: Analog Devices AD1881A

PCI Subsys Vendor: 0x1014
PCI Subsys Device: 0x0508

Flags: 0
Capabilities : -headphone out-
DAC resolution : 16-bit
ADC resolution : 16-bit
3D enhancement : Analog Devices Phat Stereo

Current setup
Mic gain : +20dB [+20dB]
POP path : pre 3D
Sim. stereo : off
3D enhancement : on
Loudness : off
Mono output : Mic
Mic select : Mic2
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID : codec=0 rev=0 DSA=0 VRA
Extended status : VRA
PCM front DAC : 48000Hz
PCM ADC : 48000Hz

AD18XX configuration
Unchained : 0x1000,0x0000,0x0000
Chained : 0x0000,0x0000,0x0000

I have logged lspic -vvvxxx before and after a s2ram, before
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart and after that command.
Attaching the lspci after a resume from ram and the diff after restart
alsa-utils. Also attaching the
/proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/ac97#0-0+regs after resume and after the
restart alsa-utils.

cheers
Ch. Hartmann

2009/12/14 Ray Lee <[email protected]>:
> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Robert Hancock <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 12/11/2009 03:21 AM, Christian Hartmann wrote:
>>>
>>> hello list,
>>>
>>> everytime I suspended to disk or to ram, regardless of the used kernel
>>> (git or stable from distri), I must restart alsa to hear sound again.
>>> searched google and tried a lot but still the same awful behaviour.
>>> Has anybode some suggestions for me? is this alsa related ? or is this
>>> a kernel issue which could be dealt here?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by restarting ALSA, do you mean reloading the
>> audio device module or something?
>>
>> You didn't mention which kind of sound hardware you were using either..
>
> Data point: Older versions of PulseAudio are very picky about the
> timing data that comes back from ALSA, and throws a hissy-fit and goes
> and sulks if it believes it's getting lied to. Perhaps you need to try
> upgrading the PulseAudio packages, and try again.

I searched for an update for pulseaudio, but I have the latest version
ii libpulse0 0.9.21-1
But as I mentioned above, I am not using pulseaudio plugins (only when
using skype). I used the mpg321 or ogg123 commandlinetools for hearing
some music

--

Attachments:
proc_asound_card0_codec97_regs.after_s2ram.txt (768.00 B)
proc_asound_card0_codec97_regs.after_s2ram_restartALSA.diff.txt (456.00 B)
lspci.after.3.txt (23.05 kB)
lspci.after.3_ALSArestart.diff.txt (1.00 kB)
Download all attachments