2021-03-11 14:19:20

by Corentin Labbe

Subject: sensors-detect: Found unknown chip with ID 0x0404

Hello

I have a server where sensors-detecte gives:
Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'... Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0x0404

I have tried to search on the motherboard but didnt find any visible NS nor ITE chip. (could it be embeded in chipset or BMC for example ?)
Furthermore, with another OS (a buildroot with more recent kernel), sensors-detect give that the ID is 0x0101.
Any hope there is a real hwmon chip behind ?

by Guenter Roeck

On 3/11/21 6:17 AM, Corentin Labbe wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a server where sensors-detecte gives:
> Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
> standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
> Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no):
> Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
> Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'... Yes
> Found unknown chip with ID 0x0404
>
> I have tried to search on the motherboard but didnt find any visible NS nor ITE chip. (could it be embeded in chipset or BMC for example ?)
> Furthermore, with another OS (a buildroot with more recent kernel), sensors-detect give that the ID is 0x0101.
> Any hope there is a real hwmon chip behind ?

Unlikely, given that the ID is not stable and that both ID registers
return the same (changing) value. It could be a BMC or an EC but
that won't help since we don't know how to access it.

Guenter