2002-10-19 09:21:19

by Denis Vlasenko

Subject: 2.4.19 orinoco_cs with Lucent WaveLAN "bronze"

Hi Jean,

Today I played with wireless LAN euqipment for the first time.
I have ISA-to-PCMCIA converter and a Lucent (IEEE) PCMCIA card.
I set up everything as directed by HOWTOs. I do:

# modprobe pcmcia_core
# modprobe i82365
# modprobe ds
# cardmgr -o

syslog:
=======
kernel: Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
kernel: options: [pci] [cardbus]
kernel: Intel PCIC probe:
kernel: Vadem VG-469 ISA-to-PCMCIA at port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00, 2 sockets
kernel: host opts [0]: none
kernel: host opts [1]: none
kernel: ISA irqs (scanned) = 5,9,10 status change on irq 10
cardmgr[1212]: watching 2 sockets
kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x200-0x207 0x378-0x37f 0x4d0-0x4d7
kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cardmgr[1212]: starting, version is 3.2.1
kernel: cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: clean.
cardmgr[1212]: socket 0: Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter
cardmgr[1212]: executing: 'modprobe orinoco_cs'
kernel: hermes.c: 5 Apr 2002 David Gibson <[email protected]>
kernel: orinoco.c 0.11b (David Gibson <[email protected]> and others)
kernel: orinoco_cs.c 0.11b (David Gibson <[email protected]> and others)
kernel: eth0: Station identity 00zz:00zz:00zz:00zz
kernel: eth0: Looks like a Lucent/Agere firmware version 3.04
kernel: eth0: Ad-hoc demo mode supported
kernel: eth0: MAC address zz:zz:zz:zz:zz:zz
kernel: eth0: Station name "HERMES I"
kernel: eth0: ready
kernel: eth0: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 5, io 0x0100-0x013f
cardmgr[1212]: executing: './network start eth0'
cardmgr[1212]: exiting

Then I proceed with ifconfig and tcpdump to see whether it works,
but so far I only see this in the log:

kernel: eth0: error -110 reading info frame. Frame dropped.
last message repeated 9 times
kernel: eth0: error -110 reading info frame. Frame dropped.
last message repeated 16 times
kernel: eth0: error -110 reading Rx descriptor. Frame dropped.
kernel: eth0: error -110 reading info frame. Frame dropped.
last message repeated 2 times
kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode

Maybe my signal is too weak, maybe not, I never played with Wavelan
before. Someone with cluebat?

Sometimes I see this (of course I did not remove card):

kernel: eth0: error -110 reading frame header. Frame dropped.
kernel: hermes @ IO 0x100: Card removed while issuing command.
last message repeated 165 times
last message repeated 341 times
last message repeated 54 times
kernel: eth0: Error -110 setting PROMISCUOUSMODE to 1.
kernel: eth0: Error -110 setting multicast list.
kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
kernel: hermes @ IO 0x100: Card removed while issuing command.
last message repeated 65 times

and I can't get card working without reboot after this.
I'm getting "Trying to free nonexistent resource <000003e0-000003e1>"
when I unload PCMCIA modules. Whan I try to repeat modprobe+cardmgr
sequence I see "socket 0: Anonymous Memory" which is obviously wrong.

Unabridged syslog and ifconfig/iwconfig attached for those
who wish to dig deeper.
--
vda

Attachments:
syslog1.log.bz2 (1.72 kB)
syslog2.log.bz2 (1.22 kB)
info.bz2 (887.00 B)

by Russell King

Subject: Re: 2.4.19 orinoco_cs with Lucent WaveLAN "bronze"

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 02:14:57PM +0000, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> Today I played with wireless LAN euqipment for the first time.
> I have ISA-to-PCMCIA converter and a Lucent (IEEE) PCMCIA card.
> I set up everything as directed by HOWTOs. I do:

Yes, I also noticed many problems with the current orinoco_cs driver.
I've reported them to David, but had very little response thus far.
Basically, iwconfig ethx essid foo appears to crash the cards firmware
(I get really interesting series of words in the chips registers giving
a nice ASCII string.)

I did find that if I took the wvlan_cs driver from a Red Hat kernel and
drop it into 2.5, it works (as far as I can tell) quite nicely.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do any further investigation of
this; I'm not too bothered because wvlan_cs gets me working.

(My card is a Lucent WaveLAN Silver)

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Denis Vlasenko

On 19 October 2002 09:59, Russell King wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 02:14:57PM +0000, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > Today I played with wireless LAN euqipment for the first time.
> > I have ISA-to-PCMCIA converter and a Lucent (IEEE) PCMCIA card.
> > I set up everything as directed by HOWTOs. I do:
>
> Yes, I also noticed many problems with the current orinoco_cs driver.
> I've reported them to David, but had very little response thus far.

I have stanalone drivers from pcmcia-cs-3.2.1 too but wanted to
concentrate on testing in-kernel ones.

Well, 2.4 kernel sources say development will proceed on orinoco_cs,
not {wave|wv}lan_cs. Jean, can you clear the confusion? I'm afraid
I can do testing only today and tomorrow... have to return the card
by Monday.
--
vda

2002-10-19 20:54:33

by Bert Barbe

Subject: Re: Re: 2.4.19 orinoco_cs with Lucent WaveLAN "bronze"

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 02:14:57PM +0000, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > Today I played with wireless LAN euqipment for the first time.
> > I have ISA-to-PCMCIA converter and a Lucent (IEEE) PCMCIA card.
> > I set up everything as directed by HOWTOs. I do:
> Yes, I also noticed many problems with the current orinoco_cs driver.

I have an orinocco gold. In 2.4.x<19 it gave me some errors in the logs also,
but despite that it seemed to work after setting the right options with iwconfig.
I haven't tested 2.4.19 with the orinioco_cs driver yet since I had other
problems with .19 before i got to that.

Regards,
Bert

2002-10-20 11:41:59

by Denis Vlasenko

On 19 October 2002 18:56, Bert Barbe wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 02:14:57PM +0000, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > > Today I played with wireless LAN euqipment for the first time.
> > > I have ISA-to-PCMCIA converter and a Lucent (IEEE) PCMCIA card.
> > > I set up everything as directed by HOWTOs. I do:
> >
> > Yes, I also noticed many problems with the current orinoco_cs
> > driver.
>
> I have an orinocco gold. In 2.4.x<19 it gave me some errors in the
> logs also, but despite that it seemed to work after setting the right
> options with iwconfig. I haven't tested 2.4.19 with the orinioco_cs
> driver yet since I had other problems with .19 before i got to that.

Can you be a bit more specific on that iwconfig options? ;-)

Also folks directed me to firmware upgrade, but it is for
Windows. Is there any for Linux? Did you upgrade yours?
--
vda

2002-10-21 17:35:08

by Jean Tourrilhes

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:59:38AM +0100, Russell King wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 02:14:57PM +0000, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> > Today I played with wireless LAN euqipment for the first time.
> > I have ISA-to-PCMCIA converter and a Lucent (IEEE) PCMCIA card.
> > I set up everything as directed by HOWTOs. I do:

Most problem is XXX-to-Pcmcia converters are interrupt
problems. Make sure irqs are delivered to the driver.

> Yes, I also noticed many problems with the current orinoco_cs driver.
> I've reported them to David, but had very little response thus far.
> Basically, iwconfig ethx essid foo appears to crash the cards firmware
> (I get really interesting series of words in the chips registers giving
> a nice ASCII string.)
>
> I did find that if I took the wvlan_cs driver from a Red Hat kernel and
> drop it into 2.5, it works (as far as I can tell) quite nicely.
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do any further investigation of
> this; I'm not too bothered because wvlan_cs gets me working.
>
> (My card is a Lucent WaveLAN Silver)
>
> --
> Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux
> http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/aboutme.html

Which firmware is on the card ?
For me, the most usable orinoco.c was release 8b, which was a
long while back. I personally want to see HostAP in the kernel, which
should take care of PrismII cards, but we still need to get our
Orinoco support on track, so send the reports to David.
Thanks...

Jean