2001-11-13 21:12:15

by Rechenberg, Andrew

Subject: kupdated high load with heavy disk I/O

Hello,

I have read some previous threads about kupdated consuming 99% of CPU under
intense disk I/O in kernel 2.4.x on the archives of this list (April 2001),
but have yet to find any suggestions or fixes. I am currently experiencing
the same issue and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions
on the issue. I am not subscribed to the list so would you please CC: me
directly on any responses? Thank you.

The issue that I am having is that when there is a heavy amount a disk I/O,
the box becomes slightly unresponsive and kupdated is using 99.9% in 'top.'
Sometimes the box appears to totally lock up. If one waits several seconds
to a couple of minutes the system appears to 'unlock' and runs sluggishly
for a while. This cycle will repeat itself until the I/O subsides.

The issue appears in kernel 2.4.14 compiled directly from source from
kernel.org with no patches. These problems manifest themselves with only
one user doing heavy disk I/O. The normal user load on the box can run
between 350-450 users so this behavior would be unacceptable because the
application that is being run is interactive. With 450 users, and the same
process running on a 2.2 kernel the performance of the box is great, with
only a very slightly noticeable slow down.

I am running the Informix database UniVerse version 9.6.2.4 on a 4 processor
700MHz Xeon Dell PowerEdge 6400. The disk subsystem is controlled by a PERC
2/DC RAID card with 128MB on-board cache (megaraid driver compiled directly
in to the kernel). Data array is on 5 36GB 10K Ultra160 disks in a RAID5
configuration. The box has 4GB RAM, but is only using 2GB due to the move
back to the 2.2 kernel.

If you need any more detailed info, please let me know. Any help on this
problem would be immensely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrew Rechenberg
Network Team, Sherman Financial Group
[email protected]
Phone: 513.677.7809
Fax: 513.677.7838

2001-11-20 22:59:11

by Rechenberg, Andrew

Subject: RE: kupdated high load with heavy disk I/O

I have to find time to down the box because it's production, but as soon as
I do I'll post the numbers here.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Andy.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, John McCutchan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I also have the exact same behaviour when running mkisofs. During the
> creation of the ISO the interactive feel is sluggish and after mkisofs
> is complete the box is sluggish and appears to lock up. During
> this sluggish period there is alot of disk activity. This is under
> 2.4.14
>
> John
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 06:01:23PM -0500, Rechenberg, Andrew wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have read some previous threads about kupdated consuming 99% of CPU
under
> > intense disk I/O in kernel 2.4.x on the archives of linux-kernel (April
> > 2001), and some issues about I/O problems on linux-mm, but have yet to
find
> > any suggestions or fixes. I am currently experiencing the same issue
and
> > was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on the issue. I
am
> > not subscribed to the list so would you please CC: me directly on any
CC:
> > would not be appropriate. Thank you.
> >
> > The issue that I am having is that when there is a heavy amount a disk
I/O,
> > the box becomes slightly unresponsive and kupdated is using 99.9% in
'top.'
> > Sometimes the box appears to totally lock up. If one waits several
seconds
> > to a couple of minutes the system appears to 'unlock' and runs
sluggishly
> > for a while. This cycle will repeat itself until the I/O subsides. The
> > memory usage goes up to the full capacity of the box and then about 10MB
of
> > swap is used while this problem is occurring. Memory and swap does not
get
> > relinquished afer the incident.
> >
> > The issue appears in kernel 2.4.14 compiled directly from source from
> > kernel.org with no patches. These problems manifest themselves with
only
> > one user doing heavy disk I/O. The normal user load on the box can run
> > between 350-450 users so this behavior would be unacceptable because the
> > application that is being run is interactive. With 450 users, and the
same
> > process running on a 2.2.20 kernel the performance of the box is great,
with
> > only a very slightly noticeable slow down.
> >
> > I am running the Informix database UniVerse version 9.6.2.4 on a 4
processor
> > 700MHz Xeon Dell PowerEdge 6400. The disk subsystem is controlled by a
PERC
> > 2/DC RAID card with 128MB on-board cache (megaraid driver compiled
directly
> > in to the kernel). Data array is on 5 36GB 10K Ultra160 disks in a
RAID5
> > configuration. The box has 4GB RAM, but is only using 2GB due to the
move
> > back to the 2.2 kernel. The only kernel paramters that have been
modified
> > are in /proc/sys/kernel/sem. All filesystems are ext2.
> >
> > If you need any more detailed info, please let me know. Any help on
this
> > problem would be immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrew Rechenberg
> > Network Team, Sherman Financial Group
> > [email protected]
> >
> > --
the body to [email protected]. For more info on Linux MM,
see: http://www.linux-mm.org/

2001-11-26 15:09:01

by Rechenberg, Andrew

Ken,

The 2.4.15pre7 kernel seems to have fixed my issue with kupdated and 4GB
RAM. We did some testing over the weekend and the box was still interactive
with a load of 7+. There still seems to be a lot of swapping going on
though. I've read from previous threads that 2.4 uses swap more readily
than 2.2 did, but should it use 10% of my swap and have almost 8MB
SwapCached?

Here are some numbers for example:

[root@mybox ~]# cat /proc/meminfo
total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 4092899328 4082126848 10772480 0 12406784 3672317952
Swap: 542826496 57561088 485265408
MemTotal: 3996972 kB
MemFree: 10520 kB
MemShared: 0 kB
Buffers: 12116 kB
Cached: 3578108 kB
SwapCached: 8140 kB
Active: 2964668 kB
Inactive: 877168 kB
HighTotal: 3145720 kB
HighFree: 2084 kB
LowTotal: 851252 kB
LowFree: 8436 kB
SwapTotal: 530104 kB
SwapFree: 473892 kB
[root@mybox ~]# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 3996972 3986640 10332 0 12156 3577900
-/+ buffers/cache: 396584 3600388
Swap: 530104 56340 473764

The above question is more for my personal knowledge, but I would like to
know.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Andy.