2013-07-16 12:00:50

by Federico Vaga

Subject: DWC2 and/or S3C-HSOTG for STA2X11 board

Hello,

I have an x86 board made by STMicroelectronics (STA2X11) with the Synopsis
USB-OTG DesignWare 2 on it and connected through the PCI-e bus.

I know that there are two drivers for the same controller:

(host) drivers/staging/dwc2/*
(device) drivers/usb/gadget/s3c-hsotg.{c|h}

So, at the moment I cannot have a board with both host/device working at the
same time. I have to choose to use the block as device or host, right?

I know that the plan is to merge the s3c-hsotg in the dwc2 driver
(https://lwn.net/Articles/540283/). Are still accepted patch to s3c-hsotg? Or
it is work in progress right now (soon), so it is better to wait after the
merge?

In order to use the s3c-hsotg I must implement a PCI wrapper that uses this
driver. It will be accepted in the kernel even if it will be removed sooner or
later because of the driver merge?

Thank you :)

--
Federico Vaga

2013-07-16 12:04:56

by Felipe Balbi

Subject: Re: DWC2 and/or S3C-HSOTG for STA2X11 board

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 02:01:33PM +0200, Federico Vaga wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an x86 board made by STMicroelectronics (STA2X11) with the Synopsis
> USB-OTG DesignWare 2 on it and connected through the PCI-e bus.
>

> I know that there are two drivers for the same controller:
>
> (host) drivers/staging/dwc2/*
> (device) drivers/usb/gadget/s3c-hsotg.{c|h}
>

> So, at the moment I cannot have a board with both host/device working at the
> same time. I have to choose to use the block as device or host, right?
>
> I know that the plan is to merge the s3c-hsotg in the dwc2 driver
> (https://lwn.net/Articles/540283/). Are still accepted patch to s3c-hsotg? Or
> it is work in progress right now (soon), so it is better to wait after the
> merge?
>
> In order to use the s3c-hsotg I must implement a PCI wrapper that uses this
> driver. It will be accepted in the kernel even if it will be removed sooner or
> later because of the driver merge?

currently s3c-hsotg has too much knowledge of the Samsung platform. My
suggestion would be to help dwc2 get in better shape. It should be
rather easy to support your board since that already has a PCI wrapper
driver.

So, stick to host only for now, help clean up dwc2 and move it out of
staging, then later it should be fairly simple to merge the device side
in it.

my 2 cents

--
balbi

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.34 kB)
signature.asc (836.00 B)
Digital signature

by Federico Vaga

Thank you Felipe

On Tuesday 16 July 2013 15:04:25 Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 02:01:33PM +0200, Federico Vaga wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have an x86 board made by STMicroelectronics (STA2X11) with the Synopsis
> > USB-OTG DesignWare 2 on it and connected through the PCI-e bus.
> >
> > I know that there are two drivers for the same controller:
> > (host) drivers/staging/dwc2/*
> > (device) drivers/usb/gadget/s3c-hsotg.{c|h}
> >
> > So, at the moment I cannot have a board with both host/device working at
> > the same time. I have to choose to use the block as device or host,
> > right?
> >
> > I know that the plan is to merge the s3c-hsotg in the dwc2 driver
> > (https://lwn.net/Articles/540283/). Are still accepted patch to s3c-hsotg?
> > Or it is work in progress right now (soon), so it is better to wait after
> > the merge?
> >
> > In order to use the s3c-hsotg I must implement a PCI wrapper that uses
> > this
> > driver. It will be accepted in the kernel even if it will be removed
> > sooner or later because of the driver merge?
>
> currently s3c-hsotg has too much knowledge of the Samsung platform. My
> suggestion would be to help dwc2 get in better shape. It should be
> rather easy to support your board since that already has a PCI wrapper
> driver.
>
> So, stick to host only for now, help clean up dwc2 and move it out of
> staging, then later it should be fairly simple to merge the device side
> in it.

Is there something like a TODO list of dwc2 known problems?

--
Federico Vaga

2013-07-16 12:40:45

by Felipe Balbi

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 02:27:43PM +0200, Federico Vaga wrote:
> Thank you Felipe

> On Tuesday 16 July 2013 15:04:25 Felipe Balbi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 02:01:33PM +0200, Federico Vaga wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have an x86 board made by STMicroelectronics (STA2X11) with the Synopsis
> > > USB-OTG DesignWare 2 on it and connected through the PCI-e bus.
> > >
> > > I know that there are two drivers for the same controller:
> > > (host) drivers/staging/dwc2/*
> > > (device) drivers/usb/gadget/s3c-hsotg.{c|h}
> > >
> > > So, at the moment I cannot have a board with both host/device working at
> > > the same time. I have to choose to use the block as device or host,
> > > right?
> > >
> > > I know that the plan is to merge the s3c-hsotg in the dwc2 driver
> > > (https://lwn.net/Articles/540283/). Are still accepted patch to s3c-hsotg?
> > > Or it is work in progress right now (soon), so it is better to wait after
> > > the merge?
> > >
> > > In order to use the s3c-hsotg I must implement a PCI wrapper that uses
> > > this
> > > driver. It will be accepted in the kernel even if it will be removed
> > > sooner or later because of the driver merge?
> >
> > currently s3c-hsotg has too much knowledge of the Samsung platform. My
> > suggestion would be to help dwc2 get in better shape. It should be
> > rather easy to support your board since that already has a PCI wrapper
> > driver.
> >
> > So, stick to host only for now, help clean up dwc2 and move it out of
> > staging, then later it should be fairly simple to merge the device side
> > in it.
>
> Is there something like a TODO list of dwc2 known problems?

Paul should be the best to answer that :-s

sorry

--
balbi

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.73 kB)
signature.asc (836.00 B)
Digital signature

by Paul Zimmerman

Hi Federico,

As part of the merge, we will need to develop a PCI wrapper for
s3c-hsotg anyway, so I think it would not be wasted effort.
Actually, as a POC I already did this as a quick hack, just to
make sure that the driver will work on our PCIe prototyping
platform (it does).

As Felipe says, currently s3c-hsotg does have too much knowledge
of Samsung platform. But it should be fairly easy to move that
knowledge from the core code to a platform-device wrapper,
similar to platform.c in the dwc2 driver. So if you would like
to work on that (creating a PCI wrapper and a platform wrapper)
I think it would be useful.

If you want, I can send you my hacked-up code for the PCI
version of the driver, to use as a starting point.

--
Paul

2013-07-22 23:00:05

by Federico Vaga

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delayed answer :(

> As part of the merge, we will need to develop a PCI wrapper for
> s3c-hsotg anyway, so I think it would not be wasted effort.
> Actually, as a POC I already did this as a quick hack, just to
> make sure that the driver will work on our PCIe prototyping
> platform (it does).
>
> As Felipe says, currently s3c-hsotg does have too much knowledge
> of Samsung platform. But it should be fairly easy to move that
> knowledge from the core code to a platform-device wrapper,
> similar to platform.c in the dwc2 driver. So if you would like
> to work on that (creating a PCI wrapper and a platform wrapper)
> I think it would be useful.
>
> If you want, I can send you my hacked-up code for the PCI
> version of the driver, to use as a starting point.

Yes, it will be really useful, thanks.

I will try to do both wrapper (PCI, platform), but I do not know how much
time does it takes because I am really busy at the moment

You know the hardware better than me, so: have you other suggestion
to point me on the right way?

Thank you :)

--
Federico Vaga