2000-11-08 22:22:33

by David Feuer

Subject: pcmcia

What is the current status of PC-card support? I've seen ominous signs on
this list about the state of support.... I have a laptop with a PCMCIA
network card (a 3com thing). Will it work?

--
This message has been brought to you by the letter alpha and the number pi.
David Feuer

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: pcmcia

David Feuer wrote:

> What is the current status of PC-card support? I've seen ominous signs on
> this list about the state of support.... I have a laptop with a PCMCIA
> network card (a 3com thing). Will it work?

It should, yes. Enable hotplug, cardbus, and 3com vortex/boomerang
support...

--
Jeff Garzik | "When I do this, my computer freezes."
Building 1024 | -user
| -level 1

2000-11-09 00:00:08

by David Ford

With a few exceptions, it should work. The problematic systems are few.

-d

David Feuer wrote:

> What is the current status of PC-card support? I've seen ominous signs on
> this list about the state of support.... I have a laptop with a PCMCIA
> network card (a 3com thing). Will it work?

--
"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was

Attachments:
david.vcf (176.00 B)
Card for David Ford

2000-11-09 00:29:53

by Brett

Hey,

I don't know if this counts as a _problem_,
but I need to enable pci support to get pcmcia/cardbus activated.
Is this really necessary ?? My current kernels work fine without pci
support, and sure, enabling it won't hurt, just make the kernel bigger,
but why is the restriction there ?

Also, what has happened to the i82365 support that I need ?
Its nicely commented out in drivers/net/pcmcia/Config.in

I remember everything working fine up until about test3/4, since then I've
had to revert to the pcmcia-cs package.

Just wondering whats going on ?

/ Brett

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, David Ford wrote:

> With a few exceptions, it should work. The problematic systems are few.
>
> -d
>
> David Feuer wrote:
>
> > What is the current status of PC-card support? I've seen ominous signs on
> > this list about the state of support.... I have a laptop with a PCMCIA
> > network card (a 3com thing). Will it work?
>
> --
> "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
> eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
> 'committed'."

2000-11-09 01:16:43

by David Ford

You may be in the same boat I'm in then. i82365 is what I used and it worked.
yenta doesn't. Right now I'm stuck with using my USB nic because neither the
kernel's pcmcia or dh pcmcia work for me.

-d

Brett wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I don't know if this counts as a _problem_,
> but I need to enable pci support to get pcmcia/cardbus activated.
> Is this really necessary ?? My current kernels work fine without pci
> support, and sure, enabling it won't hurt, just make the kernel bigger,
> but why is the restriction there ?
>
> Also, what has happened to the i82365 support that I need ?
> Its nicely commented out in drivers/net/pcmcia/Config.in
>
> I remember everything working fine up until about test3/4, since then I've
> had to revert to the pcmcia-cs package.
>
> Just wondering whats going on ?
>
> / Brett
>
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, David Ford wrote:
> >
> > With a few exceptions, it should work. The problematic systems are few.
> >
> > -d
> >
> > David Feuer wrote:
> >
> > > What is the current status of PC-card support? I've seen ominous signs on
> > > this list about the state of support.... I have a laptop with a PCMCIA
> > > network card (a 3com thing). Will it work?
> >
> > --
> > "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
> > eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
> > 'committed'."
> >

> -

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
'committed'."

Attachments:
david.vcf (176.00 B)
Card for David Ford

2000-11-09 01:46:13

by FORT David

David Ford wrote:

> You may be in the same boat I'm in then. i82365 is what I used and it worked.
> yenta doesn't. Right now I'm stuck with using my USB nic because neither the
> kernel's pcmcia or dh pcmcia work for me.
>
> -d
>
> Brett wrote:
>
> > Hey,

[....]

> > > "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
> > > eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
> > > 'committed'."
> > >

> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

> "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an
> eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
> 'committed'."

I got the same problem for an old 486 with no PCI, as yenta_socket doesn't work, i
have to add CONFIG_I82365
in order to have things work. 'till this is set and recompiled, everything works
perfectly. The controller is a
VLSI 82C146.
I'm problably missing something, but these's two things i don't understand:
-why PCMCIA depends on PCI at compilation time
-why yenta is activated for i82365, as it doesn't do the job i82365 did.

--
%-------------------------------------------------------------------------%
% FORT David, %

2000-11-09 03:22:05

by Horst von Brand

David Feuer <[email protected]> said:
> What is the current status of PC-card support? I've seen ominous signs on
> this list about the state of support.... I have a laptop with a PCMCIA
> network card (a 3com thing). Will it work?

I've got a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4280xdvd + 3com cardbus 10/100 card. Works
fine with Red Hat 7, and also with 2.2.18pre20 + latest pcmcia-cs tools (X
doesn't work out of the box, I had to grab an X server from somewhere for
the S3 Savage IX the machine has. The builtin Lucent winmodem is hopeless,
BTW: The Lucent drivers just crash the kernel once the call is answered.)
--
Horst von Brand [email protected]
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616