2000-11-13 15:49:10

by Steven_Snyder

Subject: Current doc for writing device drivers?

Hello.

My device driver reference "Linux Device Drivers" (Rubini, published by O'Reilly
on Feb. '98) is getting pretty long in the tooth. The book's primary focus is
on Linux v2.0.x, with some v2.2.x material tacked on to the end.

What reference(s) are recommended for current (v2.2/v2.4) Linux kernels?

Thank you.

PLANET PROJECT will connect millions of people worldwide through the combined
technology of 3Com and the Internet. Find out more and register now at
http://www.planetproject.com

2000-11-13 15:54:31

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: Current doc for writing device drivers?

[email protected] wrote:
> My device driver reference "Linux Device Drivers" (Rubini, published by O'Reilly
> on Feb. '98) is getting pretty long in the tooth. The book's primary focus is
> on Linux v2.0.x, with some v2.2.x material tacked on to the end.
>
> What reference(s) are recommended for current (v2.2/v2.4) Linux kernels?

The Rubini book is being updated for 2.2 and 2.4, but I dunno when it
will go to press.

The best reference is the source code. When working with the Linux
kernel, you -quickly- learn to hone your code-reading skills, because
the code is the best documentation.

When you want to figure out how to do something, find a similar example
in the kernel source tree. When you want to figure out the conditions
under which certain code is called, examine all callers. And all
callers of callers. Until you are satisfied you see the complete call
path.

Use the source Luke :)

--
Jeff Garzik |
Building 1024 | The chief enemy of creativity is "good" sense

2000-11-13 23:41:29

by Jonathan Corbet

> The Rubini book is being updated for 2.2 and 2.4, but I dunno when it
> will go to press.

We're working on it - honest!

The book will go out for technical review before too long; I believe the
current target date to have it on the shelves is April. We'd hoped for
sooner, but, given how 2.4 development has gone, I think the timing is
about right. After all, we wouldn't want to present the wrong prototype
for kmap() or miss out on the new inter-module communication API...:)

jon